X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• concerned

hello there
    need advice when minor moves out of exs home to live with grandparents where does support cheque go. its child support so if teen moves out, the support should follow the child and that should not need a court order. can this get done with just the two exs agreeing to this on paper themselves.
    thank you

If the support is going through the FRO, I think you need to get the court order changed. If your giving support directly to your ex and you both agree, to give it to the grandparents, I can't see why you can't do it yourselves on paper. Make sure you keep records of every cashed cheque!!!

Comment

I believe you can withdrawal from the FRO without having to attend to court.
      The criteria would be that both parties agree to withdrawal from the FRO.
      I believe there is a proper form that has to be filled out.

Comment

Grace is right re having to submit a new court order. If there is a court order already in place, you will need to file a new one with FRO before anything can change.

locigalvelocity is correct re the notice of withdrawal. You may also file a "notice if withdrawal from FRO enforcement" form, which would require the signatures of both parties.

A similar kind of situation is when a child attends a post-secondary institution yet still maintains primary residence at, for example, the mother's home. In a lot of situations, the mother would still receive the child support rather than the support being paid directly to the child. It's definitely a sensitive issue. There are some cases, however, where it has been ordered that child support be paid directly to the child. That being said, if one is to try and vary a court order to change the child support recepient from the ex-spouse to the grandparents, the court would have to consider the circumstances around the child living with his or her grandparents.

Lindsay

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
        Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
        Working...
        X