X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• roomate

Hi,
    I am in the midst of a divorce and since i am not yet receiving any support from my deadbeat husband, I was forced to move in with a roomate. My roomate happens to be male and since he is male, my husbands lawyer is claiming that we are common law and my roomate should support me. If I had moved in with a female roomate, this never would have happened. I feel safe living with a male in the home, as my husband has raped, emotionally abused me, threatened me, and I am taking refuge here. Why would Canadian Law be so gender biased?

Lawyers will make outrageous statements to try to make you sweat. Both you and your room-mate should sign affidavits attesting that you are not linked romantically. The Family Law system automatically assumes that women need men to look after them and some lawyers will play to this. However, evidence is still required. In the meantime, try to distance yourself from false accusations and address issues with reason and fact. Hard, I know.

Comment

Originally posted by Fair4All View Post
      Lawyers will make outrageous statements to try to make you sweat.
      Exactly.

Get used to the ridiculous claims that people make. If it weren't so gut wrenching (and expensive), it would be laughable. Believe me, one day you will laugh about it. I have a "Top Ten" list of such nonsense that me and my family sometimes revisit for a laugh.

And BTW, it's not your husband's lawyer making the claims/accusations. It's your husband through his lawyer. Unless the lawyer is a snake (quite possible), it's conceivable that your husband was insistent on that claim being made, because his emotions are being allowed to carry the day.

Comment

My X's lawyer took her to places she never intended to go. Thousands of dollars(for both of us) later she got control of the sleazy shyster.

FN

Comment

I know it is hard but try and relax. The tactics you discribe are normal. They want to make you out to be this gold-digging horrible person. They can make all the claims they want, the hard part is proving them.

Comment

Stressedout

In looking back at my case...somethings arr laughable, but one simple thing to remember is that the Lawyer works for you. Have them "cut to the chase". Don't let them or the other party carry on with nonsense like this....don't let your emotions get in the way because the Lawyers most certainly would love things to carry on as long as possible.

In my opinion, @ $250 to $300 per hr. they don't mind this lasting for many months or years.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
            Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
            Working...
            X