Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How long does it take for Maintenance Enforcement to enforce?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long does it take for Maintenance Enforcement to enforce?

OK, I am not a patient person. My ex and I separated May 2010. I got an Interim Support Order in September. He paid the first payment, skipped the second, paid the third and then defaulted or wouldn't pay the full amount.

We went to Settlement Conference March 2011. Arrears were ordered. He paid for eight months (sometimes early, sometimes on time and once late). He hasn't paid for two months. Maintenance Enforcement in Nova Scotia doesn't communicate very well and you need to practically harass them with faxes and phone calls (a ridiculous InfoLine - you can only leave two minute messages) and you cannot even go to their offices to speak to someone. I have had to revert back to my lawyers which my mom is paying for. I have asked Maintenance Enforcement to communicate with my lawyer so many times (by faxing and leaving messages on a ridiculous InfoLine). Furthermore, Maintenance Enforcement secretaries are usually very rude and arrogant. When I go back to work, it will be hard to get a hold of me - hello, I am at work and I can't wait for someone to get a message to me through the InfoLine.

I need this spousal support. I am following the Court Order to a tee including reporting my income (I am allowed to make $25,000 a year before it affects spousal support).

How long does it take when a payer defaults when it is in their control to pay and they just refuse. I don't think I am being selfish here when I just want to move on and live my life.

Originally posted by atlanticcanadian View Post
    I just want to move on and live my life.
    Anybody else see the irony here?

Cheers!

Gary

Comment

Sigh.

Let's assume there is a valid reason for the low earnings such as child care, slow job market, poor work experience...these are likely the case.

Most enforcement agencies start to garnish wages after a period of time. Tell your MEP where he works to helpfully assist them. In due time , he will have his license revoked.

You need a Nova Scotian to comment.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary M View Post

Cheers!

Gary
        Hi Gary:

Do you know how I can delete my posts. I am really getting tired of your insults every time I post something?

Did anyone teach you that you have nothing nice to say, say nothing.

Comment

For the record Gary

I need his help to move on with my life. Thank you for your comments and sarcasm however.

Comment

There was in my opinion once a reason he didn't pay as he was off of work for a while; however, he said through Maintenance Enforcement he would make it up. However he has now stopped payment. He is still employed because I had emailed him begging him to communicate. He is refusing to communicate. He had defaulted over the holidays last year without a good reason and the Judge was not impressed. Does he not have to go to court to reduce arrears?

If there are any Nova Scotians on here, I hope they can communicate because I am frustration with Maintenance Enforcement's communication methods.

Gary, once again, if you have nothing nice to say, say nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary M View Post

Cheers!

Gary
              I do and not only irony to be honest...

Comment

I need his help to move on with my life. Thank you for your comments and sarcasm however.
                No, what you need to do is get off your ass and get a job. You need to stop thinking that "as long as I only make $24,999, he still has to pay me" and you need to stop standing there with your hand out, expecting other people to support you.

Your attitude is typical of that entirely too common in some parts of this country and it stinks.

Until you grow up and take responsibility for your own life, you will never move on. Never.

Tim Horton's is hiring. Full-time, even.

But that's just my opinion, to which I am entitled - like it or not.

Freaking freeloader.

Cheers!

Gary

Comment

Hi Gary:

Do you know how I can delete my posts. I am really getting tired of your insults every time I post something?

Did anyone teach you that you have nothing nice to say, say nothing.
                  You can't delete your posts. Deal with it.

Something nice? OK - Have a nice day... In fact, have a nice day on me: 50% of everything I make goes to taxes so the gov't can pay people to not work while they buy coffee and smokes and bitch and moan and drip that their free ride isn't lucrative enough. Enjoy

Cheers!

Gary
                  Last edited by Gary M; 01-05-2012, 02:45 PM.

Comment

I can't give you a concrete answer; however, I can speak to my GF's experience. Her ex was required to pay CS and decided to stop. That was in August 2006. MEP didn't garnish anything until July 2007.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                    Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                    Working...
                    X