Police Disclosing Past Abusers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Police Disclosing Past Abusers?

This is so fascinating. In the U.K., you can request if a person has a history of domestic violence and they will disclose it (even just multiple arrests without convictions). It is called Clare's Law. Pretty interesting.

Google it for various explanations about how it works.

Here is one.

Clare's Law: 1,300 domestic abuse disclosures made - BBC News

But there is so many factor's to consider. For example, wouldn't you want to be able to inquire about your daughter's boyfriend who you think is hurting her? I would.

Also, it might stop some hidden abuse if abusers know their information could be released to future partners. Preventative a bit, maybe??

Do the crime, do the time?

What about privacy? Other crimes that should be disclosed?

A bit fascinating to contemplate. I wonder how it will all turn out? Public register? Employers searching??

(All posts welcome. I am not sensitive or thin skinned. Let 'er rip. )
    Last edited by SadAndTired; 05-17-2017, 06:38 PM.

well you have to know this will create a very hotly-debated thread!

I'd have no problem with this if the person in question was actually 'convicted' of something. Without an actual conviction I could envision a bunch of ex's encouraging new b/f's or g/f's to access the record.

However, as a parent I would likely find the registry useful.... but then do adult children ever heed advice from their parents?

While growing up I used to observe some g/f's dating some really questionable people. I doubt very much that had their parents had such a registry to access that it would have made any difference as some females just like 'living on the edge' and date bad dudes. (this is merely my own personal observation with no facts).

I think nowadays with social media there is much more information/disinformation out there. Look at this site... we can easily ascertain who has anger issues. I'd be more inclined to warn someone who was contemplating dating some of the people on here.

Comment

I found this (step-by-step) process for the 'clare's law'

https://www.merseyside.police.uk/adv...losure-scheme/

seems that this has been around for quite some time.
      Last edited by arabian; 05-17-2017, 07:53 PM.

Comment

Friends and relatives too? Never thought of that.

Comment

I see no problem with this. If you're into domestic violence you're a piece of trash. If you have nothing to hide you have nothing to worry about. Could use this to check out my daughters future boyfriends.

Yea .. dating some peeps on this site might not be the best path for our kids. Many here are great people though .. just talking about touchy stuff that hits close to home. I dont think its possible for this site to be sunshine and rainbows. The topics are insanely personal and emotional. Im glad people are having cathartic conversations here rather than beating people. Having a domestic violence record.... much different.
          Last edited by LovingFather32; 05-17-2017, 10:55 PM.

Comment

What about second chances? Learning from one's mistakes? Simply maturing and growing as a person? Therapy?

Do you think those records should be available to those who were not originally involved? Does a person have a right to know who they are getting involved with?

What about false allegations?

I don't think anyone is "into" domestic violence LF. It's a complicated issue with multi factors.

Comment

I believe in the UK (according to the very few articles I've read) the police are a kind of screen and not just anyone gets the information. In fact, it seems like quite a process to go through to obtain the information.

If I were dating someone and felt that I had to do a deep search of their background then I would hope someone close to me would slap me across the head and tell me to simply dump the dude.

Self-defense classes for young women should be mandatory in schools (along with basic personal finances just to mention a few).

Comment

With the hoops you gotta jump through to access that information, if your so unsure of your safety around the person, then at that point you should just be listening to your gut and running.

Seems like one of those knee-jerk reaction laws that make the govt, police and advocates feel as though they accomplished something, without really accomplishing much.

Comment

My STBX has a history of being charged with assault x2, dangerous driving, break and enter, and mischief which pre-date our marriage. He was not "Convicted" of any of them but entered into peace bonds. One assault charges was against a female ( non girlfriend). I had no idea and married him. If I had known, I would not have ! Although he was not "convicted" his history is significant and Would have influenced my decision to continue in a relationship with him. He withheld this information on purpose.

Another thing both parties can do if their relationship is getting serious is to request a voluntary criminal background check on each other. This is not a normal thing to do but...once you've gone through domestic helll it would help set your mind at ease. I had absolutely no clue my STBX had such a violent and criminal history.

If somebody is charming, comes from a good family , is gainfully employed you would never suspect there was a problem if they neglected to mention they had a disturbing history of "dismissed" criminal charges.
                  The other thing people need to keep in mind is that just because a person was not "convicted" does not mean they didn't commit the crime.
                  Last edited by Stillbreathing; 05-18-2017, 08:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Stillbreathing View Post
                    My STBX has a history of being charged with assault x2, dangerous driving, break and enter, and mischief which pre-date our marriage. He was not "Convicted" of any of them but entered into peace bonds. One assault charges was against a female ( non girlfriend). I had no idea and married him. If I had known, I would not have ! Although he was not "convicted" his history is significant and Would have influenced my decision to continue in a relationship with him. He withheld this information on purpose.

Another thing both parties can do if their relationship is getting serious is to request a voluntary criminal background check on each other. This is not a normal thing to do but...once you've gone through domestic helll it would help set your mind at ease. I had absolutely no clue my STBX had such a violent and criminal history.

If somebody is charming, comes from a good family , is gainfully employed you would never suspect there was a problem if they neglected to mention they had a disturbing history of "dismissed" criminal charges.
                    The other thing people need to keep in mind is that just because a person was not "convicted" does not mean they didn't commit the crime.
                    This is why I always encourage people to report any abuse...as hard as it may be...so that patterns may be developed and tracked and necessary measures can be taken.
                    In contrast.....some are falsely convicted and this could haunt them forever. I'm hoping this doesn't happen often and judges rely on irrefutable evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by Stillbreathing View Post
                      I actually like that, and it would be likely far more effective. If your partner isn't willing to do it voluntarily, or starts playing the 'don't you trust me card', that just raises red flags.

As for normal... Checking up on someone under Clares Law would hardly be classified as normal either. As well, once you've been burned once, not taking any reasonable measure available to protect yourself, such as that, wouldn't be normal.

The only question left would be... Does the background check happen before or after one becomes 'facebook serious' and puts up the relationship status

Comment

Originally posted by SadAndTired View Post
                        What about second chances? Learning from one's mistakes? Simply maturing and growing as a person? Therapy?

Do you think those records should be available to those who were not originally involved? Does a person have a right to know who they are getting involved with?

What about false allegations?

I don't think anyone is "into" domestic violence LF. It's a complicated issue with multi factors.
                        I certainly believe in second chances. But when there is a strong pattern of abusive behavior, it may be beneficial for some to be cognizant of this persons past before jumping in to relations or whatever with them.

Pedophiles for instance have this kind of thing and rightly so. Sure they get second chances, but neighborhoods are notified in most cases and they are put in registries. People who exhibit clear cut patterns of abuse, although not in registries or told to neighbors, should have that kind of info available to those who seek it. That what was my point.

Comment

I found a document from the Greater Manchester Police and though almost any concerned person can ask for a check, it is the police who decide whether they will release any information. They also state that they will (only?) do it in cases where someone's safety is in danger.

As long as administered in a sane manner, it seems like a good idea. "The devil is in the details."

Comment

this is a good idea, the "alleged" assailant can explain

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                            Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                            Working...
                            X