X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Utility Bills for Matrimonial Home

Jeff:

I'm hoping you can answer a question for me.

My husband and I separated earlier this year and I am still living in the matrimonial home. The utility bills (gas and hydro) are in his name, so I called the gas and hydro companies to have them put in my name. I was told that, because of their "Privacy Policy", I must cancel the existing accounts and open accounts in my name, and I will be charged $25 and $31 respectively. Also, the hydro company wants to charge me an additional $200 (refundable after one year) unless I either sign up for their Pre-Authorized Payment Plan or send them a copy of my credit report.

Can their "Privacy Policy" legally prevent me, as joint owner of the home, from making changes to the existing accounts because that makes no sense, especially since I've been paying the utility bills since my husband moved out.

Thank you.

Linda

Linda,

If you fail to pay these utilities, you husband is legally on the hook for them.

You pretty much have to go by the respective utilities policy on this. Another thing to also consider is to review the insurance policy for this home. It may be still in both names.

lv

Comment

lv:

Thanks for your response. I do realize that my estranged husband was responsible for the gas and hydro bills since they are both in his name, but I didn't want to take the chance that the hydro and gas would be turned off for non-payment, or a lien would be placed on the house.

I wrote to the Privacy Commissioner at both the gas and hydro companies informing them that, as joint owner of the home, I was not prepared to pay an administrative fee to have the accounts transferred to my name. I received an apologetic phone call from the gas company informing me that I will not be charged a fee, and I have yet to hear from the hydro company.

The problem is, their new Privacy Policy was initiated after the accounts were opened, so both names should have been put on the bills if that policy precluded one property owner from accessing account information if the bill is in the name of the other property owner.

Linda

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
      Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
      Working...
      X