Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is anyone else following the Oscar Pistorius trial?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Links17 View Post
    IWhat was she doing in the bathroom in the middle of the night, was she crapping or peeing? If it is neither then she was going there for refuge so she pretty much should have had her pants down.

Secondly, why would any person think an intruder would head for their toilet?

Thirdly, wouldn't you screwam and say whoever gyou are come out with your hands up I have a gun aimed at the door.

Fourthly, how much noice does a person making going to the bathroom and why would you assume that the noise is an INTRUDER and not your girlfriend who I am sure he didn't just forget because any guy would be thinkging "I need to protect my girl"

Guilty based on the info I have.
    On your third point -

If he truly thought there were dangerous people behind that door, then he would have also assumed their were armed with semi-automatic weapons. That's where the shoot now, check later mentality comes from. The offenders won't come out with their hands up, they'll come out shooting their own guns.

I don't know if what he's spouting is true or not, and I'm not defending his actions one iota. South Africa is a very different place.

Comment

Guilty based on the info I have.
      Links, to be fair, I think most of us based on the information we were receiving at the time believed OJ was guilty as well and yet - he was acquitted. Riots in the streets.

MsMom that was an interesting read, thanks. Kinda scary re the ongoing racial discrimination - and parents making a choice to move to the "whites only" enclave. I hadn't realized that was still happening.

It appears no matter what decision this judge makes - there is going to be a reaction. Add in her being black and female, and it only complicates the issues - it shouldn't, but it will. And since even we still have questions, I don't think the prosecution at this moment has proven its case - his defense might just have this on reasonable doubt.

(I still think he's guilty.)
      Start a discussion, not a fire. Post with kindness.

Comment

Originally posted by mcdreamy View Post
        Links, to be fair, I think most of us based on the information we were receiving at the time believed OJ was guilty as well and yet - he was acquitted. Riots in the streets.

MsMom that was an interesting read, thanks. Kinda scary re the ongoing racial discrimination - and parents making a choice to move to the "whites only" enclave. I hadn't realized that was still happening.

It appears no matter what decision this judge makes - there is going to be a reaction. Add in her being black and female, and it only complicates the issues - it shouldn't, but it will. And since even we still have questions, I don't think the prosecution at this moment has proven its case - his defense might just have this on reasonable doubt.

(I still think he's guilty.)
        The apartheid culture is still ingrained in the people there. It will take many years of slow change for real difference. It's very difficult to explain the overwhelming acceptance of the racial divide despite all the dramatic change the country has undergone.

Economic sanctions had a dramatic effect on the country. The high levels of crime are very much related to the high levels of poverty. Corruption is the norm in the police ranks, black and white.

This is the place the judge grew up, went to high school and worked as a social worker:
        Alexandra township in Johannesburg ? in pictures | Art and design | theguardian.com

This is where Pistorius lived:
        Oscar Pistorius to sell house where he shot Reeva to cover legal fees - Telegraph

And, for the record....just because the judge is black, it doesn't mean she resides without security. She too will live in a gated community, or in a home guarded by high brick walls and remote gates. The judge is too aware of the actual dangers. But, I imagine using it to excuse behavior will be an interesting point for her to ponder.

Comment

Well, she has decided he is to be cleared of #1.

Perhaps a finding of reckless behaviour/manslaughter?
          Start a discussion, not a fire. Post with kindness.

Comment

Originally posted by mcdreamy View Post
            Well, she has decided he is to be cleared of #1.

Perhaps a finding of reckless behaviour/manslaughter?
            Manslaughter. He may not even get a prison sentence.

Only in South Africa does it seem possible that someone would break into your house and go to the toilet.

Comment

He was found guilty of culpable homicide (ie Manslaughter).

He could still get 15 years, it will be interesting to see.

IMO this is a better match for the circumstances than 1st degree murder.

Comment

Originally posted by MS Mom View Post
                Manslaughter. He may not even get a prison sentence.

Only in South Africa does it seem possible that someone would break into your house and go to the toilet.
                Based on that fact alone, Pistorius is guilty. What thief in his right mind will head straight for the bedroom ''terlet''? In a luxury home containing (and I'm assuming) several wash rooms? Not the usual spot to hide valuables is it?

Perhaps Pistorius was involved in some shady deals on the side and was expecting repercussions - that would explain his paranoia?
                Same as the OJ case - we'll never know the truth ... my guts say he lost it after some argument and shot her!

Comment

Maybe he thought the thief was going to hide?

If he did kill her for cheating or leaving him or something, I really think their needs to be a re-evaluation of how we teach people about relationships. A lot of people invest so much in their relationships emotionally and are broken if there is a betrayal and do crazy things....

Comment

Originally posted by Janibel View Post
                    Based on that fact alone, Pistorius is guilty. What thief in his right mind will head straight for the bedroom ''terlet''? In a luxury home containing (and I'm assuming) several wash rooms? Not the usual spot to hide valuables is it?

Perhaps Pistorius was involved in some shady deals on the side and was expecting repercussions - that would explain his paranoia?
                    Same as the OJ case - we'll never know the truth ... my guts say he lost it after some argument and shot her!
                    Well, the legal system in South Africa is confining the judge.

Apparently there is a choice between pre-meditated murder and culpable homicide (manslaughter). Nothing in between.

So, the judge determined he didn't pre-meditate her death. She determined a reasonable person would not have acted in that manner, therefore culpable homicide. If she determined a reasonable person would have acted in that manner, he would have been cleared altogether.

The sentencing will be the true teller of what the judge thinks happened.

Comment

Maybe he thought the thief was going to hide?

If he did kill her for cheating or leaving him or something, I really think their needs to be a re-evaluation of how we teach people about relationships. A lot of people invest so much in their relationships emotionally and are broken if there is a betrayal and do crazy things....
                      You can't teach people to be normal? You can't raise a person to behave rationally if they're cray -cray? I ended up in the ER when the Ex found out that I had consulted a lawyer and was planning to leave him. So my thoughts on Pistorius would tend to lean in the direction of a domestic argument that went very very bad.

Comment

You can't teach people to be normal? You can't raise a person to behave rationally if they're cray -cray? I ended up in the ER when the Ex found out that I had consulted a lawyer and was planning to leave him. So my thoughts on Pistorius would tend to lean in the direction of a domestic argument that went very very bad.
                        Janibel - it's been my experience that the most "normal" people are the ones to look out for.

My ex - raised by two parents - still together. Very religious, church every sunday. Could charm the habit off a nun. Narcissist? Hell ya.....and the "normal" upbringing is fuel for his narcissism....it's why he's morally superior to everyone. He was taught extremely well how to be "normal" despite his obvious abnormalities.

Comment

Originally posted by MS Mom View Post
                          Janibel - it's been my experience that the most "normal" people are the ones to look out for.

My ex - raised by two parents - still together. Very religious, church every sunday. Could charm the habit off a nun. Narcissist? Hell ya.....and the "normal" upbringing is fuel for his narcissism....it's why he's morally superior to everyone. He was taught extremely well how to be "normal" despite his obvious abnormalities.
                          My ex has brothers - all decent law-abiding guys. I truly believe that even the most charming, well-behaved narcissist will eventually drop the charade and mess up. That usually happens when their public 'facade' is put in question and the thin veneer of their persona is exposed for what it truly is... that's when they 'lose it'.

Most narcissists are very talented actors, charming liars ... their lack of empathy for others is the danger, they feel entitled to have things go their way no matter the hurt it causes around them.

I agree with you MSmom, I'd be less afraid of some poor homeless person mumbling to himself on the sidewalk - in the case of a narcisist, we're all vulnerable to falling for the deceit and being trapped.

Comment

I agree with you MSmom, I'd be less afraid of some poor homeless person mumbling to himself on the sidewalk - in the case of a narcisist, we're all vulnerable to falling for the deceit and being trapped.
                            I've often had that thought. My ex was not a narcissistic sociopath (although he certainly has his problems), but I've met people who are, and they are far more frightening than the obviously mentally ill. I think eventually though they all get tripped up - the lack of empathy means that they can't really fathom how other people think or feel, and they can only fake it for so long.

I remember hearing a radio interview with Karla Homolka after she was released from prison in which she was very convincing as a pathetic victim of Paul Bernardo ... until the point when she said that she was terribly upset because he used their wedding china to prepare a meal for some poor girl he was abusing. Homolka was clearly a good learner and had figured out how to sound like she had compassion, but there came a point when it became evident she really had no understanding what remorse or empathy were.

Comment

Originally posted by stripes View Post
                              I've often had that thought. My ex was not a narcissistic sociopath (although he certainly has his problems), but I've met people who are, and they are far more frightening than the obviously mentally ill. I think eventually though they all get tripped up - the lack of empathy means that they can't really fathom how other people think or feel, and they can only fake it for so long.

I remember hearing a radio interview with Karla Homolka after she was released from prison in which she was very convincing as a pathetic victim of Paul Bernardo ... until the point when she said that she was terribly upset because he used their wedding china to prepare a meal for some poor girl he was abusing. Homolka was clearly a good learner and had figured out how to sound like she had compassion, but there came a point when it became evident she really had no understanding what remorse or empathy were.
                              When I saw Pistorius crying on the news, I couldn't help but think to myself: right, he's crying because he got caught!". Game over, this guy was a national hero and a source of inspiration to many people around the world. Now all the medals and glory will be forgotten.... I could be wrong, look at the Rob Ford situation -people have short attention spans.

Comment

^^^ Bumping.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                                Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                                Working...
                                X