This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What should I expect in court

Hello I will be going to couurt in the next moth or so for my Divorce.
    The pre trial is next week
    What should I expect at the pre trial and in the court rooom. What issues
    are dealt with most of the time in court. I will have to repersent myself.

dvr

Hi DVR - your first time in court should never be "your first time in court". It might be very helpful for you to take a field trip to your court during a morning or afternoon when they are hearing motions - in some area it is called "motions court" - sit in on a few motions and familiarize yourself with your surroundings.

Look where the litigants are seated. Look at where the lawyers make their submissions. Listen to how each case is presented. Examine whether the judge is reading the parties affidavits or just "pushing them through the sausage mill".

During the pre-trial, either lawyer will be presenting the basic information regarding either parties position and there may be some arguing over procedural issues - depends on the matter about the be heard. This would be a very good question to ask your lawyer unless you are self represented. Are you self represented?

Comment

Hello thank you for the quick reply.
      Yes I will be repersenting myself.
      Can you tell me if it is ok at a pre trial to bring up communcation issues I am having with the lawyer repersenting my wife. She seems upset at the fact that I am repersenting myself . She has given notice under the protection of property act that I can not enter her office to deliver documents or for any other reason. I was advised by this Lawyer that she will not speak to me one on one or by telephone. It makes it pretty hard to make any agreements or settlements with someone like this. your advice will be helpfull. I am in Nova scotia and the case is being heard by the Supreme Court (Family Div)

Thank You
      DVR

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
      Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
      Working...
      X