This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• find out Monday if i get legal aid

Well i will find out tomorrow if i can get legal aid. I did go see two lawyers on Thursday, they both said by the sounds of it,(by what i told them) no sense on trying to get a separation agreement, because it would be a waste of money,being they said it doesnt sound like he would agree on anything.That i should take him to court.
    I was thinking of self rep but dont have the confidence to do so .
    If i had to face him he would chew me up.

He doesnt help me out at all,like i stated in other post, he left 8 months ago i have been paying mortgage all utils and line of credit,which he has had the guts to get 16hundred off of,but hasnt put a dime on it to bring it down.

So one of the lawyer said i should go close joint account and open another one because there is an overdraft of 15hundred on it.

I aslo asked the bank if i could put a cap on the line of credit,they said no because he is also on it, so what i did was withdrew all that was left of it and put in my new account can i get in trouble for this?

So im hoping that i get legal aid although there will be a lien on house at least , i will have someone in my corner that nows whats going on, and what to do.

I did ask lawyer if, because i got buy out from private ins that, if i would get that portion back and they both said no it would still be 50/50 split on everything. Im hoping that he will have to be responsible for for big cash withdraws on line of credit, which didnt go towards any debt, he used for his pleasure.

I do not think you could get into trouble by running up the line of credit to the max but there are two things to look at. Will legal aid use it against you for qualifiying for legal aid? If you do that will he wait until you make a payment on the line of credit and then take out what he can??

Comment

well pretty bad we got the line of credit in June and i just took out the last 500. but i will use that to pay oil bill of450. So in fact there wont be any in my account to affect legal aid.
      Yes thats what i was worried about i put monthly payments to cover intrest only but if anything is availble he will grab it.

Comment

In my case, we had to split all debts 50/50, even though I only made about 1/10 his salary. The result was I had to pay 1/2 of the Visa bill which included $1000 worth of jewelry he bought for OW.

So in the end, you may be forced to pay 1/2 the line of credit, no matter how much you took. If you can , in any way, get your H into mediation for the settlement it will be a lot cheaper than paying Lawyers and court costs.

Comment

well at least if you just pay the interest then there is nothing for him to take. Keep track of what you pay with receipts etc that show that you paid. No sense in letting him come back later and say that he made some payments and you have no proof that he didn't. Sometimes it seems like it's going overboard but the better paper trail to prove things, the better it is for you.

Comment

I hope for your sake things go well towards getting legal aid. I originally tried that route as well, just barely surviving on what I make working and the child tax benefits with 4 kids, but every month I was in the red.
            Legal aid turned me down because they said I had too much money at the end of the month, more than enough to cover legal fees.

The pathetic part was that they figure that a family of 5 would only pay about $900 in rent per month, I pay just over $200 more than that, but with the cap at $900, they consider the $200 cash in pocket.
            Go figure.

They admitted their costs of living were early to mid 90's and had not changed with the times, but they are required to follow process.

Comment

i dont think i have a choice,but bring him to court, i dont think he would do mediation, reason being for months i have been telling him we have to talk about financial stuff and he says there is nothing to talk about.
              Yes i been keeping track of all bill paying, he hasnt helped with nothig since he left 8 months ago. I have also payed for my sons books and uniforms for his college,pre firefighter course.
              my son did get osap but still needs more.
              At least i can say i have been there for my son.

Im going without alot of stuff so my 18 yr and 19yr can have roof and food.
              Would like to know how he can be so selfish.

lets see my income maybe 12thousand his 30 thousand

Comment

Bad news I was refused legal aid

Ya,cant believe that i was forced to go back to work part time (im on long term dissability) because he uped and left me and kids, with mortage and line of credit and utils and i have to feed us,

legal aid says i make to much? my mortgage is1200. a month min payment for line of credit is 100.(just to pay the intrest). Not including utils.

Im making 800. month with my part time 500. disability but once i make 4000.yr from part time job i get cut off my disability. So i am forcing myself to work and once i hit 4000. for year i will be cut off disibility but i make to much.
                They calculate that hes paying half the bills, but he not paying nothing so how can i not qulify?

They only allow me 487. for basic needs? well i have a son in college and myself, am i in CANADA?
                If i was a criminal i would get legal aid.

I dont know what to do i need support from him, he gets to walk out and not be responsible for nothing, bills or anything?

I dont know how or where to start to rep myself?

any advice before i lose house and all.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                Working...
                X