Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Parenting Issues

Parenting Issues This forum is for discussing any of the parenting issues involved in your divorce, including parenting of step-children.

Old 01-06-2018, 07:06 PM

NeverGreen is on a distinguished road
Default Weekend Camp?

Hey Everyone,

I love this site and I appreciate all the help Ive been given over the years...

Im going through another issue (theyre increasing as of the past 6 months or so), which I feel is being blown way out of proportion, so I would like ot get some insight here.

I had plans for a family trip approximately a month from now, we made it a few weeks back, and this was the first opportunity we had to go as a family, it was on my weekend with our son, so I didnt think there would be any issues.

Last night I received an email regarding a weekend camp, asking if I agreed to it or not. Since I had planned a family trip already I said no and explained to her why. She then got our son to call me crying, and sent me emails about how Im putting myself first and being unreasonable etc. Needless to say this was not the correct answer in her eyes. I have no issues taking him to weekend camps, as I have done so in the past and would have taken him to this one if I hadnt already had plans.

I was under the assumption that neither parent has any say in the other parents parenting time. I offered to switch weekends so she could take him to camp and I could still go on my trip, but what if there had been no chance to switch? Is there any legal ramifications from my choosing to take our son on a family trip as opposed to weekend camp? Do I need to work with her on this or am I able to say no?

Thanks in advance everyone,
Old 01-06-2018, 07:49 PM

blinkandimgone is a jewel in the roughblinkandimgone is a jewel in the roughblinkandimgone is a jewel in the rough

You are well within your rights to say no, there are no legal ramifications for doing so.
Old 01-06-2018, 07:52 PM

rockscan will become famous soon enough

No she is not to make plans on your time and she should not be involving the child.

If you let her get away with it now she will continue.
Old 01-08-2018, 12:55 PM

tunnelight has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockscan View Post
No she is not to make plans on your time and she should not be involving the child.

If you let her get away with it now she will continue.
^ Triple agreed.
Old 01-08-2018, 02:27 PM

HammerDad will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunnelight View Post
^ Triple agreed.
Also agree. And she was wrong to involve the child and put them in the middle of a disagreement.

She asked if you were OK with the child attending camp during your weekend. You said no, and gave a reasonable explanation why. She should have accepted that and moved on. Her actions of involving the child was unnecessary, unreasonable and bad parenting IMO.
Old 01-08-2018, 02:40 PM

rockscan will become famous soon enough

Next question will be how to avoid this in the future. Thats not so simple. You can send her an email and remind her that you agreed on parenting time and she should not be making plans on your time and making promises to the child regarding this without consulting you first. In the future you expect she will adhere to the agreement and leave the child out of the discussions.

With the child you simply say that this is your time with them, you made plans and mom should not have involved them. By way of “im sorry you were dragged into this. Dad has made plans for us that will be just as fun. We will look at the camp again in the future and I will talk to mom about participating.” End of discussion.
Old 01-09-2018, 11:42 AM

Tayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant future

Sometimes it is easier to say yes, pay the damn cost and just not bring the kids to the event and do what you had originally planned... Without asking for permission on what you can do on your time with the kids.