This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FRO - from support receivers point of view

So far I have only heard horror stories from people who have been paying support. Can someone, who has been receiving support through FRO, share their experience as well? I am a support payer (through FRO but no issues so far) but would like to know whether or not to use FRO for collecting CS (if ever that happens).

Thanks in advance.

Good or Bad????

Well there probably are just as many good as bad. But when they go bad they do a really good job at it.

My spouse the one who I mostly talk about on here is a payor and well we have been vocal about his issues.

Myself I am a recipiant and have had problems from the start. I opted to use them as my ex was & still is reluctant to pay. Every time he brings me to court he stops paying falls behind but some how I am the one who takes the brunt.
    Putting that aside with the divorce trial the Judge upped the amounts and it took eight months for them to adjust the amounts and another 16 months to get him caught up.
    Then that brings up the attitude that they give when you call, does matter if you pay or recieve.

As you can tell We dont like them much. We would like to see some major reforms brought about it is more than time. There has been talk in Govt, lawyers and the Courts to do a major overhaul. All the details I am not privy to but I think it will be for the better. As disliked as they are the unfortunate part is, they are needed. Main reason I think is that both sides want to turn this divorce thing into a free for all and when it comes to children it just should not be.

I just say avoid them when you can.

Comment

Worst Government Agency ever!

Just my opinion. I couldn't agree with AtaLoss more. If it goes bad look out. You can not talk to them. God forbid you question them.

Read the other thread here about Support. The one "Do you have to use FRO...

It might give you a better idea. I know of people who now will do anything and even agree to more rather than involve the FRO again because they screw up so much.

Yes the whold system needs to be fixed. How can you be sure the judge you apear before is even experienced in family Court? I know they think they know everything, but I would not go to a Dentist for Brain Cancer. Why should Judges be any different in requirements to do their job, and why can we not question it? In over a dozen Motions I have yet to have the same Judge twice, not in a row, just twice!

Comment

Yes the are the worst. I have posted a few things that may interest you in my newest thread "Interview with FRO". Many enlightening facts there and at my new spouse's blog. Frankly it will amaze.

Comment

Yes, I'm wondering as well if there are any articles, reports, cases that shed some light on FRO with regards to support recipients and how they are affected by the irresponsibility and corruption of the agency.
          Last edited by #1StepMom; 07-25-2009, 03:01 PM.

Comment

I am a support recipient and one of the lucky ones who was helped with FRO in every respect.LAst year my ex started paying me directly and I accepted 2-3 cheques and at the same time i received the direct deposit from FRO.Though I informed them of the situation but by the time they received my letter and all that stuff i had twice the amount.Then their director called me and advised me accept the cheques from my ex.So i asked him if i can send them the cheque but he said I can keep all the money and for next 2 months they won't pay me anything.Also he was such a gentleman he gave me his direct number and told me that if anything in the future I can call him directly.
            Though it took them almost 2-3 months to start the payments but it happened.At one point they strted garnishing my ex GST and tax cheques too.I know i can't deal with my ex so FRO is the best for me.

Comment

Originally posted by sufferer View Post
              I am a support recipient and one of the lucky ones who was helped with FRO in every respect.LAst year my ex started paying me directly and I accepted 2-3 cheques and at the same time i received the direct deposit from FRO.Though I informed them of the situation but by the time they received my letter and all that stuff i had twice the amount.Then their director called me and advised me accept the cheques from my ex.So i asked him if i can send them the cheque but he said I can keep all the money and for next 2 months they won't pay me anything.Also he was such a gentleman he gave me his direct number and told me that if anything in the future I can call him directly.
              Though it took them almost 2-3 months to start the payments but it happened.At one point they strted garnishing my ex GST and tax cheques too.I know i can't deal with my ex so FRO is the best for me.
              Your ex was making his payments but FRO screwed up and garnished his wages. You like FRO because it is the best for you. Excuse me while I stick my finger down my throat.

FN

Comment

Originally posted by FreeNow View Post
                Your ex was making his payments but FRO screwed up and garnished his wages. You like FRO because it is the best for you. Excuse me while I stick my finger down my throat.

FN
                Don't gag yourself yet! sufferer did not say that the FRO scewed up. From what I read of her post she implied that the ex stopped paying to the point that the FRO had to take action which resulted in her getting her support.

Comment

FRO Screw Up

I am a support payor and while my divorce was proceeding the support requirements were put into FRO. Not a FRO issue more-so a spouse's Lawyer over zebus issue. I was garnished for moneys that would come from the proceeds of the matrimonial home sale even though my ex's lawyer was holding the funds from the transaction. All to say 1.5 months of garnishments later as well as an indication on my credit bureau. Even though it was sorted out that has yet to be removed and that was 5 years ago.

Since then FRO has been fine, and from a support payor stand point I do not mind it. I send them the money monthly via online banking as I do with any other bill and it provides me with a court trusted source of information in the event i am ever accused or implied of not paying (which has happenend) The judge contacted them and that untruth was dismissed as well probably shed some light of the demeanor of my ex.

So in short, they do make mistakes, but work based on what they are give. They were polite with me when I called (and I was polite with them) so i really could not complain on the agency.

Hope this helps

Comment

I haven't received a cent yet, it has been 8 months since the order. Each time I call FRO, they tell me to call in 4-6 weeks. I am not holding my breath as my ex is self employed, working for cash and hiding all assets so I don't see how FRO can enforce it besides taking his license(when he will still drive anyway).

Comment

Just to let you know I got so fed up with FRO taht I called the Office of the Ontario Ombudsman. That started a lot of wheels turning and thats when they finally did somthing about this man I call my ex.
                      He moved to Alberta with a person who calls herself a woman and thought he was escaping, but they with some help from me, found him and all the enforcement started.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                      Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                      Working...
                      X