Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do people keep in secret their lawyers' names?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why do people keep in secret their lawyers' names?

While being in a search of a family lawyer, I noticed that this is the kind of information people are reluctant to share. Neither Google, nor this forum produces useful results for the keyword combinations like "family lawyer recommendation/reference" or "divorce lawyer recommendation/reference". I saw several posts on this forum where people were asking for good lawyers' names. The only advice was to check Find an Attorney - Attorney Reviews and Ratings - LawyerRatingz.com, which is, in my opinion, more deceitful and biased than objective and fair tool.

Even when sharing their experience and talking about lawyers, good and bad, people prefer to say 'my lawyer' rather than reveal the name. Why is that such a big secret? Why not to share the names of knowledgable professionals so others may benefit from this information and not waste thousands of $$ on those lawyers who charge a big buck but barely help their clients?

I am still searching... If somebody on this forum is/was happy with the lawyer's work would you mind to share the name of that person?

I think many people feel intimidated by lawyers - with all the horror stories we hear about exorbitant legal feels, is it any wonder? Truth is most of us are not capable of self-representing and feel 'stuck' with the lawyer's we hire sensing it won't make much difference who we retain.

Comment

I wouldn't be too quick to discount LawyerRaters- if there are enough ratings (to counteract the outliers) I have found the ratings and the comments to be fairly accurate. Perhaps if you indicate where you live and the price range you can afford...someone may PM you with a name. All in all, however, it is VERY difficult to find a lawyer that is good value for money (which might be why there are no responses! )

Comment

If people on this forum want to remain anonymous - revealing their lawyers name sure helps identify who they might be.

You "want a lawyer". For what? Where do you live?

Comment

Originally posted by Serene View Post
          If people on this forum want to remain anonymous - revealing their lawyers name sure helps identify who they might be.

You "want a lawyer". For what? Where do you live?
          I live in Bells Corners but can travel to any part of Ottawa for a consultation with a knowledgeable lawyer. Looking to start a case about child support.

Comment

Originally posted by Janibel View Post
            I think many people feel intimidated by lawyers - with all the horror stories we hear about exorbitant legal feels, is it any wonder? Truth is most of us are not capable of self-representing and feel 'stuck' with the lawyer's we hire sensing it won't make much difference who we retain.
            Given how much they charge, which is an absolute rip-off, your last phrase sounds so pessimistic

Comment

Originally posted by annapurna66 View Post
              I wouldn't be too quick to discount LawyerRaters- if there are enough ratings (to counteract the outliers) I have found the ratings and the comments to be fairly accurate. Perhaps if you indicate where you live and the price range you can afford...someone may PM you with a name. All in all, however, it is VERY difficult to find a lawyer that is good value for money (which might be why there are no responses! )
              I examined closely www.lawyerratingz.com/ and found in several cases of multiple positive reviews those reviews were probably written by the same person (the writing style, the dates - too many 'pointers'), maybe even by the lawyers themselves.

Comment

Lawyerratingz is a joke. I work in law firms, and some of the lawyers know about it. They find it amusing at best.

Most of the people who post there are likely the difficult clients to begin with. They come in with unrealistic expectations and then get disappointed when the lawyers can't meet them.

Yeah, there are bad lawyers out there. No doubt about that. But there are also bad clients. Lawyerratingz should be taken with a grain of salt. When you look for a lawyer, go out and meet them. Do your research as caselaw is easy to find (Canlii).

As with any site like this (tripadvisor etc), people are more likely to complain than complement. No one says they got the service they expected, as it is expected. As one shouldn't book trips based off of TripAdvisor ratings, one shouldn't also dismiss lawyers based off of a similar site.

Comment

I don't recommend lawyers because I don't even recommend my own lawyer. She was OK and got through my case but I think she was more of a bulldog who would have been better in the court room than trying to actually resolve things through discussion and settlement.

I heard of a pretty good in Bell's Corners. I think it was upstairs at Bell Mews and the lawyer was named "Pasco". He has a good reputation but is often very busy and not always able to take new clients.

Comment

Found him! It's Laurie Pascoe. Reading the information about him right now.

Thank you!

Comment

Yes, that's the guy. Good luck

Comment

[QUOTE=HammerDad;185790]Lawyerratingz is a joke. I work in law firms, and some of the lawyers know about it. They find it amusing at best.

Most of the people who post there are likely the difficult clients to begin with. They come in with unrealistic expectations and then get disappointed when the lawyers can't meet them.

Yeah, there are bad lawyers out there. No doubt about that. But there are also bad clients. Lawyerratingz should be taken with a grain of salt. When you look for a lawyer, go out and meet them. Do your research as caselaw is easy to find (Canlii).

Canlii is the most credible source if you have a lawyer in mind. You can also type the lawyer's name into the search engine and read up on cases that they have worked on.

In addition any citations that are issued by the upper law society will be highlighted there. Shady lawyers usually have a pattern of poor ethical behaviour.

Comment

[QUOTE=wantmyfreedom;185815]
                          Originally posted by HammerDad View Post
                          Canlii is the most credible source if you have a lawyer in mind. You can also type the lawyer's name into the search engine and read up on cases that they have worked on.

In addition any citations that are issued by the upper law society will be highlighted there. Shady lawyers usually have a pattern of poor ethical behaviour.
                          I didn't know that! Wow, that's an excellent advice, thanks a lot!!

Comment

He's got 1.6 on Lawyerratingz )

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                            Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                            Working...
                            X