This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tracking down RESP info. for upcoming Case Conference

Hello everyone. New here and wishing I had found this site ages ago!! So much excellent information. For now, I'm hoping someone can help me or guide me in the right direction.

I've been divorced for a little over 8 years now. My problem right now is that my ex is denying we ever set up a RESP (Registered Education Savings Plan) for our children.

How do I go about finding out what happened to it? I am 100% positive that we did set it up years ago with a certain bank but she is denying this.

Do I need a lawyer to find out this information or can I check into it myself?

Please advise and thank you so much!

I've been reading all night as I have my very first case conference coming up shortly. I had thought I had 30 days to be served but was just served tonight and it's dated for a conference on 09/29 and a family information session on 09/24.
    <!-- / message -->

If an RESP was set up, as we have done, then I would assume that both parents are names on it, because that is a general rule, and as such you should be able to go to that financial institution and ask for a print out on the balance on the account. I do not think that she would have been able to cash it out if both parents were on it when it was initiated. We require both signatures to anything on the account, except for deposits, those only require one person.

I'd ask at the bank about the account. Give the child(ren) name and date of birth, and don't leave until they have provided you with the information, on the balance or what happened to the balance that you started.

Best of luck

Comment

Thank You very much for the reply. I am going to get right on this.

I just got served late last week and this case conference is scheduled for Sept. 29th. Hopefully I will have time to get everything ready.

Kind Regards.

Comment

You could also try contacting the CRA and seeeing if they can source an RESP account via your children's SIN#. Kids have to have a SIN# in order to start an RESP. Because there are contribution limits to RESP accounts, the government would surely have a database that shows all accounts with your children as beneficiaries.

Due to privacy concerns, I would guess that you would have to be listed as a sponsor (i.e. contributor) to the RESP in order to gain access to this information, but I haven't had to deal with this before, so don't know. Please let us know if this works.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
        Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
        Working...
        X