First day of school...good luck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First day of school...good luck

Another year, and the first day of school is upon us.
    Good luck to those, with kids already in school, or those entering for the first time. Hope it all goes well. :-)

Originally posted by dad2bandm View Post
    Another year, and the first day of school is upon us.
    Good luck to those, with kids already in school, or those entering for the first time. Hope it all goes well. :-)
    Had a great drop-off at school this morning. Met the kids teachers. My daughter is starting grade 1 this year so she was a little nervous.

Comment

Great to hear FB_. I had to start work early today, so couldn't see the kids off to school, but am looking forward to hearing about it from them, tonight.

My daughter also started Grade 1 this year. She also goes everyday now this year, so that will be great for her.

Comment

My older daughter started Univeristy this week, dropped her at residence on Sunday.

My ex and her fiance came with furniture in their vehicle, I brought my daughters and some boxes and bags.

We remained civil and supportive through the whole exercise. It was kinda fun to see all those bright shiny faces. Hopefully it will take a while before they become party animals or jaded young people.

Comment

Originally posted by dad2bandm View Post
          Great to hear FB_. I had to start work early today, so couldn't see the kids off to school, but am looking forward to hearing about it from them, tonight.

My daughter also started Grade 1 this year. She also goes everyday now this year, so that will be great for her.
          My daughter has been full day kindergarten for two years so that's not a change. But the rest time and recess is going to be very new for her.

Comment

My daughter is going into grade 4. She wasn't looking forward to going back, as there will be more homework. But she gets to see her friends more, which she is excited about. I gave a quick call this morning to wish her well and let her know I am thinking about her.

Comment

Excellent sentiments, dad2bandm! I had the good fortune of being able to put both my kids on the bus this morning and send them off. They were pretty excited. About 15 minutes before they were due to head off to the bus stop, their mom called and asked to speak to them, and that also went well. It was one of those nice mornings where the whole co-parenting thing worked as it was supposed to.

Comment

Originally posted by Straittohell View Post
                Excellent sentiments, dad2bandm! I had the good fortune of being able to put both my kids on the bus this morning and send them off. They were pretty excited. About 15 minutes before they were due to head off to the bus stop, their mom called and asked to speak to them, and that also went well. It was one of those nice mornings where the whole co-parenting thing worked as it was supposed to.
                It's so nice when that happens.

Things have been good recently for me as well. Although still no texting...I don't think I'll ever bend on that.

Comment

Sometime this week, I'll have to speak to D5's new teacher, to setup the same routine as done last year (my being able to drop by the office, where I can pickup D5's school information, free from gatekeeping from other parent).

Hopefully, that will be painless with a new teacher, and the usual questions that come out of that conversation. lol.

Comment

My ex refused to let me see the kids this morning - before their first day of school - I haven't had an "access visit" with them since August 5th or something....

Comment

Links, that is crazy. I am sorry that you have to deal with that crap.

Comment

Why would someone do such a nasty thing? What does it achieve? Certainly does make her look smart. Also in years to come when children can reflect back on the milestones in their lives they will know she took this from them.

Comment

First day pretty much went as expected, but it's interesting to note the contrast with each of my kids.

1 child at pickup has their backpack, and all the first day of school information in their planner, etc. The typical "sign this" forms, the "add your name to the volunteer opportunities" list, the "verify contact information", etc. (Mom #1)

Second child, comes with nothing. Mom didn't let her bring backpack or any school info. (Mom #2) Same old, same old.

Usual Mom #2 gatekeeping, that I always have to circumvent, by going to the school directly. The one thing that may be an issue this year, is child #2 now uses the daily planner, to bring home each day, with her homework outlined, notes from teacher to the parents in it, etc. Hopefully, Mom #2 does not play Gatekeeper with the child's planner as well. She likely will though.

Comment

My own pet peeve - I wish some schools would get into the 21st century and recognize that not every child has a "primary residence", or a "primary parent contact". 50/50 is common enough these days that it should be reflected on student info forms.

(In D8's case, her "primary residence" is her father's house, which makes some sense because that was the marital residence before the separation, so her records show that as her primary and my address as an "alternate". I'm listed as "parent one" and her father as "parent two". I think this is a reasonable balancing of parental authority, but it overloads the brains of the school admin because the phone number of the "primary residence" is not the same as the numbers of the "primary parent ...).

Comment

Originally posted by stripes View Post
                              My own pet peeve - I wish some schools would get into the 21st century and recognize that not every child has a "primary residence", or a "primary parent contact". 50/50 is common enough these days that it should be reflected on student info forms.

(In D8's case, her "primary residence" is her father's house, which makes some sense because that was the marital residence before the separation, so her records show that as her primary and my address as an "alternate". I'm listed as "parent one" and her father as "parent two". I think this is a reasonable balancing of parental authority, but it overloads the brains of the school admin because the phone number of the "primary residence" is not the same as the numbers of the "primary parent ...).
                              Last year my kids school seemed to deal with this ok after talking to the teachers.

I stayed in the Mat home so for registration purposes it's my address. But they also send a paper home asking for both parents info, which we provide.

They also gave two copies of report cards and other important information.

Although normally only one consent form comes home etc.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X