This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Section 7 health benefits employer contribution

How are section 7 health benefits paid for CS by the non subscriber (the one who does not have the benefits)?

My ex has quoted both employee and employer contributions for her family health plan.

She is suggesting I pay my portion of both.

The employee part comes out of her pay, the employer part is paid by her employer.

I thought that I just contribute to her actual costs - the employee portion that comes out of her pay.

For example, the employee part is $40, and the employer part is $80.

I thought I just pay my share (ie in proportion to my income and my ex's) of the kids part of the $40.

Any thoughts?

Originally posted by billm View Post
    How are section 7 health benefits paid for CS by the non subscriber (the one who does not have the benefits)?

My ex has quoted both employee and employer contributions for her family health plan.

She is suggesting I pay my portion of both.

The employee part comes out of her pay, the employer part is paid by her employer.

I thought that I just contribute to her actual costs - the employee portion that comes out of her pay.

For example, the employee part is $40, and the employer part is $80.

I thought I just pay my share (ie in proportion to my income and my ex's) of the kids part of the $40.

Any thoughts?
    Bill,

You pay your share of the deductible paid against any health insurance costs which are over $200 in the year. It is my understanding that the employer supplied supplemental health insurance is not an "extraordinary" expense. If you are employed too you can have family benefits plan that lists the children. You both should have family plans and both plan holders should know of the other and it should all be sorted out by the insurance company.

I haven't seen anyone ever claim their portion of their health insurance benefits paid for by their employer or their contribution. Remember, your ex-wife is also covered under the money paid for the "family plan" that she is seeking S7 on.

You could ask for a breadown from her insurance provider that identifies the cost to carry each family member on the plan and only pay the portion of the insurance that is paid for the children.

This is really nickel-and-diming in my opinion. Especially to ask for you to pay her EMPLOYERS contribution to the plan too.

Good Luck!
    Tayken

Comment

I have heard of having to pay the portion of this expense, ONLY for the children, but not the employers portion...why should you pay that when she doesn't pay any of it?

I agree with Tayken to get a breakdown of what the charges are for the children... this could get a little tricky though...

For example, with my benefit plan, I pay for a "family plan". My plan started off with just myself and my bf, but after speaking to my company Head Office, I was able to add his children as dependents also, but my premium never increased... to get a break down from my provider it would just be the difference between a single plan and a family plan, however that family plan also covers my bf... because his ex has benefits also, we don't bother splitting the premiums...only because she doesn't want to pay us...

Comment

I am self employed. No insurance on my side. My ex pays for insurance that covers the kids, so I definitely should help pay for that.

I agree that the employer contribution is not an expense of hers and I am not responsible to pay her for that.

The kid amount is the difference between the family plan and the single plan - I will pay my portion of that (my portion is only about $31/month)

That's my take on it - if anyone has experience with this, please chime in

Comment

Bill..your interpretation of it is correct:

Here's the actual wording that applies:

(b) that portion of the medical and dental insurance premiums attributable to the child;
          You pay a proportional share of HER cost to keep the kids on her benefits. (ie. the difference between a SINGLE and a FAMILY plan) as well as a proportional share of any remaining expense NOT covered by benefits.

That's REALLY nickel and diming to death though. I haven't heard of ANYONE ever asking for that. It gets even more complicated if there are OTHER kids involved.

Comment

That seems hardly worth approaching you about!

Comment

It's the equivalent of making him buy her a coffee a day. Let's be honest here, if you died tomorrow, she'd still have that expense. I agree it's a bit over the top, but some people are like that.

Comment

Well she was asking $142/month as my share considering the employer contribution, so that is why she approached me - but my actual portion is $31/month considering her actual costs.

I don't mind sharing the cost even at $31/month - I prefer to share all common expenses (I have 50/50 access). This would include sports, clothing, spending money etc. My view is that there should be no arguments about who is spending more than the other - if she wants to do the majority of clothes shopping, great, I'll gladly pay my share no questions asked (I hate shopping!).

My problem is that she says tracking every expense is 'splitting pennies', but she won't tell me how she wants to share common expenses and is constantly telling me that I owe her money.

This has been going on for years, and I have asked a million times for her to please write down the method she wants for sharing these expenses ($100 minimum, ask before spending over X, etc), but she simply ignores all requests. I have supplied detailed paragraphs that says how I want to do it, but she won't agree to that either.

I think she thinks I owe her in general and the thought of her paying for my common expenses for the kids (clothing, hockey, passports, etc) does not work for her, yet when she buys a formal dress or pays for a lunch program, she asks me to reimburse her my portion and is deaf to my request to share expenses.

Comment

I am paying almost $140/month just for having my child under my plan. I knowit is huge but I dont have a very charitable employer ! He pays for my own ocverage though. I just want to have my child covered and I pay. My ex was asked but my lawyer to pay half of this expense as well as uncovered expenses ( dental, meds, glasses).

Comment

Originally posted by billm View Post
                    I am self employed. No insurance on my side. My ex pays for insurance that covers the kids, so I definitely should help pay for that.

I agree that the employer contribution is not an expense of hers and I am not responsible to pay her for that.

The kid amount is the difference between the family plan and the single plan - I will pay my portion of that (my portion is only about $31/month)

That's my take on it - if anyone has experience with this, please chime in
                    Very reasonable. Also, you should include the balance of the difference on any deductible payments over 200$ in the year.

You could have the child support adjusted to cover the monthly cost of the insurance plan difference you want to pay for. It would make things easier probably. For the deductibles that go over $200... You should be notified as soon as the expense is incurred and it should be tracked.

Furthermore, the money in the "health wallet" from the insurance provider should be burned out for the year prior to claiming anything over 200$ in medical expenses. Most employee plans provided these days have a "health spending wallet".

Good Luck!
                    Tayken

Comment

Never heard of the 'health spending wallet'

As for deductible expenses over $200 - I am proposing paying my share (ie in proportion to income) of any and all medical/dental expenses, as this is not covered by CS. Perhaps you are saying that if the expense is below $200, then it is covered by CS. However in my case with offset CS, I pay CS covered shared expenses 50/50 and non CS covered shared expenses according to income - not a big difference either way.

So for me I'm proposing I'll just pay any medical out of pocket expense, including insurance costs, in proportion to our incomes (yes I make more). Keeps things simple.

I won't mingle CS payment and monthly insurance contribution - I will keep them separate. I want to be clear what my payments are for.

Thanks for everyone's input!

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                      Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                      Working...
                      X