X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DowntroddenDad View Post
    Agreed.

On the day of my separation, my ex wouldn't let me leave until she had finished screaming. She dug her nails into my forearms hard enough to make me bleed. When I struggled free she did a classic soccer dive and fell to the floor. My kids only saw her fall, my son did see the blood. I think she was baiting me into more violence so she could get exclusive posession.

But I was always the calm placid one, and she was the hot tempered one, so even under pain, I didn't strike back.
    It's hell sometimes ... on the day/night of our separation, I tried to leave the house and thanks to my neighbors help was taken to ER for 2 days. I did end up with exclusive posesion of the MH and criminal charges pressed but there was NO baiting involved ... I would have avoided this nightmare if possible.

Comment

That's really terrible - good for you for getting out of it, and good for your neighbours for not just standing by.

I don't believe anyone can be "baited" into acts of physical violence. You either have self-control or you don't - and if you don't, you better get some because you are not a civilized human being.

Originally posted by Janibel View Post
      It's hell sometimes ... on the day/night of our separation, I tried to leave the house and thanks to my neighbors help was taken to ER for 2 days. I did end up with exclusive posesion of the MH and criminal charges pressed but there was NO baiting involved ... I would have avoided this nightmare if possible.

Comment

Oink is right! Oink is right! Oink is so totally, totally right!

Originally posted by oink View Post
        do you mind saying that out loud....one more time please? :d

Comment

Originally posted by stripes View Post
          That's really terrible - good for you for getting out of it, and good for your neighbours for not just standing by.

I don't believe anyone can be "baited" into acts of physical violence. You either have self-control or you don't - and if you don't, you better get some because you are not a civilized human being.
          My ex spat in my face and threw a cup of juice at that point I already knew she was crazy so it was easy to just get up and walk away without even answering.

Comment

Originally posted by stripes View Post

My example was certainly not an extreme one, but physical violence can beget physical violence. In the extreme, think of the battered women who end up attacking their husbands, I think there is ample cause to think they would not have done so had they not been abused, albeit over a long period of time.

In my case it wasn't an isolated incident, but I never felt in fear for my life or my person. The worst that would happen is that she would try to block me or wrestle me into not leaving(when I felt the need to get away and think things over and cool down). Drawing blood was an escalation. and it was clear after that point that I would never give the opportunity to do anything like that again.

Comment

Having a good divorce lawyer makes all the difference in the world. Yes, they are obviously coin operated since they do have to make a living. But they are not robots, the good ones go through the mess with you and even act as your therapist at times. I will say this: my divorce lawyer was fantastic. We were friends until he passed about 5 year's back. He always listened to my concerns, never belittled me...put up with my tears, my unruly behaviour at times, my phone calls at night, you name it!

My advice always, find someone who cares. It will make all the difference in how you perceive your divorce.

Comment

Originally posted by Gordy View Post

My advice always, find someone who cares. It will make all the difference in how you perceive your divorce.
                At first, they all seem to care.

Back in the 80s it might have been a little different... but now Family Law is a mega-multi-billion $$$ industry and "caring" is not something that is part of the system.

I interviewed 5 different lawyers... specifically picked the one who seemed to "care" the most.

'nuff said.

Comment

Originally posted by SomeGuy View Post
                  At first, they all seem to care.

Back in the 80s it might have been a little different... but now Family Law is a mega-multi-billion $$$ industry and "caring" is not something that is part of the system.

I interviewed 5 different lawyers... specifically picked the one who seemed to "care" the most.

'nuff said.
                  You could interview 1,000 of them and it would not change anything. They see so much drama - real or imagined that I believe they become immune to it. Our personal hell is nothing more than a meal-ticket to them ...

Mine has a sense of humor and has helped me to see things from a judge's point of view - which has helped me. Though this forum is FREE and I have learned way more in here!

Comment

Originally posted by oink View Post
                    Am suprised it was only a month. I don't know you, I wasn't there, but based on your story and version of events.....YOU SHOULD HAVE GOT A HARSHER PUNISHMENT!

Nobody condones hitting anyone, let alone a woman, and to throw a saucer at her? You think some of us guys on here haven't had worse said or done to us?

She baited you big time, and you fell for it...shame it impacted your kids too. Oh, and your neighbour got to BANG your wife (ex), and probably did it in your bed and in your house that you paid for/were paying for...salt to injury

NOTE: contrary to what some namby-pamby oik on here might think, I love women (I have 2 sister after all), and condone any violence towards them or anyone
                    Judgemental are we? You have no idea what kind of saucer it was, where it was thrown, the context of it. But it's violence against women? I won't get into details, but she did a LOT worse than that yet I never called the police. She called the police months later when I would not leave the matrimonial home, she was given advice by a friend of hers I learned who said it's a great trick to get your husband out of your life. The advice was this: find an incident where the both of you argued, where you felt threatened, or if he's ever thrown anything at your during the arguement be it a book, a cup, doesn't matter. My ex in her desperation to have her new lover move in and take over my life was to call the police. She told them that she wants me to leave. They said, "well he doesn't have to since this is also his home". She said, "well he threw a saucer at me last year". That was enough. At the time they asked her if she wanted to press charges (that's how it worked back then) and she said 'yes'. I was teaching math and science at a local high school at the time, they arrested me in front of my students. It was the most humiliating thing that has ever happened to me. I never went back to teaching after this.

You are a real dink, oink. While it may make you feel good for saying things that are politically correct, doesn't make you good and right.

You say I should have spent more than a month in jail for that? You are a sick person. You are obviously very judgemental, you know very little about the facts surrounding this let alone what kind of plastic saucer it was, the fact it was not thrown at her. I was found not guilty, they offered me a peace bond which I declined. No way, I was not guilty of assault. She was guilty of assault a number of times over the course of our marriage and I never called the police.

Comment

Women can chase their husband with a hammer, ruin their most prized posessions, slap you, scratch you,
                      We can? Damn, I didn't get the memo.

A woman can hit a man 20 times in a year with a hammer in Ontario,
                      Exactly 20? What if one hit is kind of light? Can I go to 21?

Comment

Originally posted by Pursuinghappiness View Post
                        We can? Damn, I didn't get the memo.
                        Yes you can because at the end we can dodge/block saucers - that is the logic.

Comment

Yes you can because at the end we can dodge/block saucers - that is the logic.
                          Well, the DV movement for women was started by women. So if men are being abused and not getting help, by all means they should organize.

I would never put my hands on any other person to physically hurt them unless I was defending myself or my children...never have. I have no right to do that and neither does any other person.

But honestly, if your wife hits you in the back of the head with a hammer and you don't call the cops...what on earth are you thinking?

Comment

Well, the DV movement for women was started by women. So if men are being abused and not getting help, by all means they should organize.
                            The pendulum swings....

I would never put my hands on any other person to physically hurt them unless I was defending myself or my children...never have. I have no right to do that and neither does any other person.
                            You don't, but the reality is you couldn't probably do that much damage to a man. So if you do go nuts and attack him as long as he isn't in real danger you'll be fine. This is really based on what I've read and that people say

But honestly, if your wife hits you in the back of the head with a hammer and you don't call the cops...what on earth are you thinking?
                            hit on the head with hammer? prob not thinking much at all!

Comment

To Gordy:

Well, in Quebec or any other province nobody gets away with hammer-hitting anyone - male or female unless they keep quiet about it. Violence happens and anyone can become the victim of an aggressive manipulative Ex.

Your mistake Gordy was that you did not call the police and press charges, you should have done that immediately rather than retaliating and risking jail time. No fault divorce means that your ex can cheat on you and still get CS or SS it does not mean that she can get way with harming you, that's not a family court issue that's criminal law.

I'm sorry that you went through this, but 2 wrongs don't make a right.

Comment

You don't, but the reality is you couldn't probably do that much damage to a man. So if you do go nuts and attack him as long as he isn't in real danger you'll be fine. This is really based on what I've read and that people say
                                Yes its stupid logic. I'm almost 5'10 and weight train...so I could probably mess up a short, skinny guy actually.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                                Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                                Working...
                                X