Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NFP ... a year later....

Question...

I was to pay $40000 as an NFP Equalization payment. The amount in cash agreed to was $16000, with the remainder coming as a pension division. The pension valuation at the time was $29000, allowing for some tax implication room. The actual settled pension division ended up being $37000 due to an increase in the pension value while this was being settled.

The valuation and payment of the pension was supposed to be dated as of the date of separation, not the final date of the pension division. This effectively creates an overpayment of $8000 in my ex's favour.

I know that if the pension division was $8000 lower in the end, I would surely have to make up the difference.

Advice?

Originally posted by natty2013 View Post
    Advice?
    Don't spend 25,000 in legals to get 8,000.

Comment

Originally posted by Tayken View Post
      Don't spend 25,000 in legals to get 8,000.
      That was pretty much my thought as well. I already wrote this off in my mind.

Comment

Why would it be $25,000? Seems like a slam dunk win, which means that most of the costs can be recouped.

There is also some value in winning a motion if you have kids because it can deter nonsense from the other side for many years to come if they pay their lawyers and your lawyers for a lost motion.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
        Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
        Working...
        X