No announcement yet.

Thinking to write an article about OCL.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking to write an article about OCL.

Hello Everybody

During my preparation for the trial I have read number of material about expert witnesses, OCL Investigators and how to challenge position of OCL etc.

I also think that it would be useful to provide my own experience how I manage demolish OCL report in my trial (I do not have judge endorsement yet but that what he said at the end). what questions were asked etc...

I never actually write something for public (and I want to make it good especially for self-rep people)

So I have several questions.

1. Do you think that we really need it ? I do not want to spend a lot of time for something what nobody need

2. How to properly refer to others people materials?. Let's say I had number of books or material from library and I want to use it in my compilation? do I have to get permission from Authors? Will have to pay for that? (just point me where to read about that)

3. I will need some Editor helping me along. My English is far from perfect and it will never be. So I am looking for somebody who willing to work on it with me. We have number of people here who has quite a language skills (gab gift or how to say it properly )

It also may become collective work. I write my part somebody add something ... Idea to have something what would help to deal with OCL (from intake till Trial) in one paper...

Anyhow I am open for any suggestions...

I think you have expressed a passion for what you have learned and this is the most important issue. The fact you feel you have something that can help others who face such a daunting task and are willing to do something is commendable. I think you should go ahead!

As far as the legal details you really are only required to make note of materials you make reference to as a bibliography at the end. This does not mean if you use the words of another - this will infringe on the rights of another author and possibly copyrights but it does not mean you can't as you say obtain permission from the author (s).

Thankfully I am pst the time of having to worry about the OCL but my feeling is the majority of the time it is brought up it is not in a positive light for sure. I can't remember if I have ever read how good of a job they did in shinning the light on the truth regarding the most important thing in the whole wide world - Our Children. If this is any indicator of "do you think there may be value in what you propose" then you have one vote!

Comment

Something blog-ish would be good and widely accessible. I think the more information people have on matters of family law the better, and the less people have to rely on lawyers to do their work (and waste their money) the better.

If you're blogging you can give web links to cite your sources, otherwise look up a style guide for properly citing references to avoid getting into trouble. Normally you include the title, author, year it was published.

You can publish a blog in sections and not need to complete the whole document in one go.

Comment

Originally posted by WorkingDAD View Post
        2. How to properly refer to others people materials?. Let's say I had number of books or material from library and I want to use it in my compilation? do I have to get permission from Authors? Will have to pay for that? (just point me where to read about that)
        Hey as long as you quote other authors, I don't think it's copyright infringement. But be careful or you might get sued. Although, I think first you would have to find a publisher.

Make no mistake I will be the first one to read it. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Skndlz2904 View Post
          Hey as long as you quote other authors, I don't think it's copyright infringement. But be careful or you might get sued. Although, I think first you would have to find a publisher.

Make no mistake I will be the first one to read it. Good luck.
          That what worries me considering they all lawyers ) Most of materials I read is from Continuous Legal Education staff what used on thous seminars and summits for lawyers ...

I also was under impression that if I am not going to make money on it (not like I do not need it but common let be real here ) i will not get in trouble ...

Anyway I have to study that topic upfront ...

Comment

I would totally read it.

there are so many of you that know so much. a real pleasure to read your post's

thank you all you know who you are

Comment

WorkingDad
              I forgot to mention..... your English is good enough here, I never have a problem to understand you so never let that stop you from putting your knowlege and experience down for others - this is what really counts.

Winterwolf7's idea of a blog sounds good. Maybe it is possible to ask Jeff if this site can handle "hosting" a blog type effort - perhaps it can be a start of a whole new subsection of this site where many different topics can be presented as time goes on?

Comment

I agree I have never had a problem reading anything you have said either.

Comment

Originally posted by tmac View Post
                  I agree I have never had a problem reading anything you have said either.
                  Oh common guys - you just do not want to be an editor I have an idea for editor lets wait for his reply (and NO it's not Storm )

Comment

Oh I sucked in English class. and no were near as wise as anyone here

Comment

Originally posted by tmac View Post
                      Oh I sucked in English class. and no were near as wise as anyone here
                      well I did not really have any real English class. And English is my 3rd language and I use (trying to use) on daily basis since 2006.

I wish I would not so lazy ... Yea I can tell this almost about anything

Comment

I shall admit I used to proof the CEO's annual speech to the shareholders, and a ton of other stuff, drawings and engineering documents, albit at a small organization out in Calgary and I was the technical writer for the "technical operators and service/maintenance manuals" for all equipment leaving the plant...... did that stuff as a sideline to my regular job of keeping the manufacturing plant well oiled and purring as smooth as a kitten".

Ok I admit I could have said that better! (shows we have a new was two weeks old when we got her but that seems like alifetime ago now that she hit the proud age of 12 weeks..... now if I can just keep here from chewing up the corner of my financials in my briefcase I will be ok. Seriously this is also before my body and a good chunk of my brain stopped working right or at least as well as it used to. Used to get more done befoream break than I can get done in a week or two now but I still try.

If in the end, if I can help some - I am here.......... ok again I'll admit I leave once in a while (I call it my phase out period - happens during the worst times) but in the end I always come back! Just don't smile as much as I used to for some reason???

Comment

I would consider helping you edit your work. At least an initial edit to get the point across. My Fiancee writes papers for University all the time, I will ask how she cites other papers and other authors work for you.

Comment

Originally posted by fireweb13 View Post
                            I would consider helping you edit your work. At least an initial edit to get the point across. My Fiancee writes papers for University all the time, I will ask how she cites other papers and other authors work for you.
                            thank you,
                            I really appreciate it

Comment

No problem, let me know when you have a rough draft, or want to get together to brainstorm ideas sometime.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X