This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Throwing a hIsSy FiT worked!!!

I didn't hire a fly by night lawyer.... she was suppose to be very well known and a 'pitbull' type. (3K retainer and 375/hr)....lord help my visa card!!!
    Well on Monday I threw a hissy fit on my lawyers office in regards to the lack of service and the fact its been since July and NOTHING has been done.
    .....seems to have worked
    My ex will be served a letter with an offer TOMORROW, and if they don't catch him at home tomorrow morning, then they will try again Friday.
    He has 7 days to respond to the letter and then we start the process for litigation (and the letter states this).
    My offer is MORE THAN FAIR (my lawyer says he's getting to eat his cake if he accepts the offer, but with his personality she knows he won't accept it either but it has us in a position so that we can claim costs at court if he refuses to settle.)
    All we are asking for is him to buy me out at 50% of the equity in the house, with the amount being dropped 10k for the repairs needed.... should he not accept the 10k drop, then the house to be listed after the repairs are done and we will split the price of the repairs in porportion to our incomes.... he can have the difference in his downpayment back as well (I don't have to give him that but i want this done and over with quickly).
    The bottom of the scale for spousal support for a short duration to help become reestablished and settled with my son. We will base it on his T4 and let his side 'cash' home reno business stay out of the equation (that alone should be worth a lot to him)
    To remain on benefits until my son is done school if his policy allows it.
    And lastly, to not harrass me or try to discuss this with me in person.
    To not phone my place of employment as has been asked of him several times already, and to only have communication with me through email, written letter, or my lawyer.
    My son (his father is not in the picture and my ex took my son on as his own naming him his child) is in his first year of post secondary,,, we could go after child support and section seven costs. Hopefully he'll see we are being more than generous by not doing this and he'll settle with the offer presented....
    I'm thinking he'd not want his dirty laundry aired in open court...and to be honest, it has been hard enough on me as it is. I wish not to relive his twisted deceitful, narsissistic happenings. I've lived through it once, that's more than enough for anyone!
    Whew....feels good just to know that there have been steps made in moving forward.
    Any thoughts on what i can expect to happen next?
    If he does not respond, and we then do up an application for litigation, what is the normal next step and how long does it usually take?
    Because of the posts i have read on here, i am not wasting money or time going back and forth with letters. I'm pushing for litigation and pushing hard the entire way... I am being more than fair i think and have nothing to lose if it gets all the way to court....perhaps I could even gain if gets to court because i can try to get costs then.
    (I'm being sure to steer clear of anywhere he'll be after he gets served as i know he'll be crapping a cow)

Im glad a Hissy fit worked for you, wish it was that way for everyone...good luck RI

Comment

That is the only way to get things moving faster than a snail's pace.......push push push........and it could still take forever.......good luck.

Comment

Im 10 year in,,,push for the settlement confercne,,if I had known this tenyears ago I would be ahhead $100000,,.lol.......research,,,,research,,,and ask questions,,,none i could do 10 years ago

Comment

Told this by a lawyer: lawyers are paper pushers, We don't settle anything we just push papers from one party to another .
          Alwasy wondered what do lawyers actually do for $350 hr. The whole legal system is a scam, a legal scam. what makes someone a Judge ? A former lawyer.

Comment

Congratulations!

Congratulations! I thank GOD, and the Ottawa divorce lawyers for this forum, for all of us stuck in this mess!

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
            Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
            Working...
            X