Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LovingFather32 View Post
    I urge readers to really think about what I asked earlier:

What if your ex makes your life hell, but your child's better? Would you go 50/50?
    I still think that if Parent A has been caught red handed in a lie (false allegations) that they should be stripped of custody and have supervised access. They are not fit to parent a child if that's how they have learned to handle situations in life.
    Don't these two statements seem contradictory to you?

If your ex makes your life hell, doesn't that seem like the type of person who would not be a fit parent? If they handle situations by making your life hell, then they should not be parenting a child?

I also think 50-50 should be the default, and if one parent disagrees, it should take court to order otherwise only after that parent makes a good case why.

Right now, people who want more than 50-50 are usually a primary caregiver who doesn't want to spend less time with the child, an un(der)employed person who sees greater CS as necessary income, or a vengeful person who sees monopolizing the child as punitive towards their ex.

From the other end, you may also have a workaholic who prioritizes their job over time with their children, an uninvolved parent who finds child care unpleasant, or someone infatuated with a new relationship; these types usually want less than 50-50.

When those types of parents don't pair up nicely, then you would have a 50-50 default, and an uphill battle in court.

Comment

Originally posted by Links17 View Post
      There should be no child support in shared custody situations. Parents who divorce should not longer be financially contributing to the household of the other parent.

It is completely contradictory to the concept of divorce. Every parent brings certain assets to care for their children whether it is cooking skills, love, money, intelligence etc... Why only equalize money?

I think it would change the dynamic of divorce and custody immensely along with default shared custody.

Unfortunately the feminists will fight it tooth and nail.
      I always felt CS was important, with both parents supporting their children no matter which household they were in, but I dislike offset, preferring a smooth curve of CS following time, which has half-offset in 50-50 situations.

Your points are good, but reality is that kids are materialistic, and would gravitate to the household with all the money after they reach the age of choice, no matter how wonderful a cook the other parent may be.

I don't see why feminists would fight this. Feminists would like to see men and women have the same opportunities, so male and female incomes would be similar (on average) and there wouldn't be any more issues of the man being disproportionately more wealthy than the woman.

Comment

Hi Angie ... thanks for stopping by.

To begin, you may have been the catalyst for this thread but I've been meaning to start it for a good while. I've observed threads being derailed on this topic so I thought I'd start a thread where we can get it all out.

Now let's discuss some of your points.

I think "any" false allegations are deplorable and ridiculous....including what you say your ex is supposedly doing (although I do't believe you've even seen if he has yet).

However, I can tell you first hand that if you're accused of sexual/physical abuse it changes you forever. It's the most disgusting, outlandish hurtful thing that one person can do to another. The effects can be felt by the child as well as they're questioned by Dr's, detectives, police, witness counselors, etc. All to gain ground in court? You tell me Angie......is that on the same level as whipping up an e-ail about an argument in a Dr's office?

In Vucenovic v. Rieschi, 2012 ONCJ 658 (CanLII):

I can cite numerous cases whre judges actually use the terminology "not fit to parent" when it comes to false allegations of abuse or any kind. Unfortunately I can't find many for arguments in Dr' Offices or he said she said stuff, such as in your case.

I hope that answers your question.

I am truly sorry if that happened to you. Really I am. That is awful. I can't help if you don't believe the things I am writing here though. It's more than just the one incident you refer to. You are hell bent that my ex is this good person because you want to see all "fighting" dads this way. Sometimes they are not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Rioe View Post

If your ex makes your life hell, doesn't that seem like the type of person who would not be a fit parent? If they handle situations by making your life hell, then they should not be parenting a child?

I also think 50-50 should be the default, and if one parent disagrees, it should take court to order otherwise only after that parent makes a good case why.

Right now, people who want more than 50-50 are usually a primary caregiver who doesn't want to spend less time with the child, an un(der)employed person who sees greater CS as necessary income, or a vengeful person who sees monopolizing the child as punitive towards their ex.

From the other end, you may also have a workaholic who prioritizes their job over time with their children, an uninvolved parent who finds child care unpleasant, or someone infatuated with a new relationship; these types usually want less than 50-50.

When those types of parents don't pair up nicely, then you would have a 50-50 default, and an uphill battle in court.

I agree that these statements are contradictory.
          If you plan to resort to sneaky, underhanded deceitful means to obtain your children in court and it gets proven to be false in front of a judge, you don't think that is going to speak to your character? Especially when status quo has been in existence for so long (8 yrs in my case). Why wouldn't your platform be simply "I plan to be a great dad and I respect my child's mom"?

Comment

Originally posted by Rioe View Post

But what if your ex isn't trying intentionally to make your life hell? What if the chemistry is just so far gone that they have tone every time they talk to one another, are snarky, search for flaws, etc. One parent may "perceive" the other parent as making their life hell is what I'm trying to say. Just as in the abuse truism, some tend to over amplify negativity and downplay actual strengths and positive qualities.

Just because two people cant stand each other doesn't mean they can't effectively parent. I strongly believe the 2 are different.

Big Time agree!!!

Comment

The only time that 50-50 residency should NOT be the default is when the matter falls on the far right of the continuum of conflict and in the case that the requirements of Rule 24.(4) are actually met.

Your Social Worker - Gary Direnfeld, MSW, RSW

Family Court needs a standard practice for identifying and ranking conflict. It lacks this standardized method. I am of the STRONG opinion that Family Law should be guided more by mental health professionals than lawyers.

Good Luck!
              Tayken

Comment

Originally posted by Ange71727 View Post
                I agree that these statements are contradictory.
                If you plan to resort to sneaky, underhanded deceitful means to obtain your children in court and it gets proven to be false in front of a judge, you don't think that is going to speak to your character?
                If he's falsifying stuff for court .. yes it does speak to his character as a person. But so does making recordings of your child to build evidence for yourself (Angie). False allegations of abuse speaks to ones character AND their ability to parent. (Refer to the caselaw I posted earlier).

Why wouldn't your platform be simply "I plan to be a great dad and I respect my child's mom"?
                When one parent plays gatekeeper and denies another parent more time with their biological child in the absence of any abuse, it is hard for that parent to remain civil for sure.....it's their child too. Not everybody can do what I did and remain positive about my ex the entire court battle.

Please remember that if you had agreed to at least give an equal relationship a shot (few extra days/year) then none of this would be happening.

You want to be respected as a mother...but do you respect him as a father? If yes, enough to add a day or 2 of access as per his request?

Comment

Originally posted by Tayken View Post
                  The only time that 50-50 residency should NOT be the default is when the matter falls on the far right of the continuum of conflict and in the case that the requirements of Rule 24.(4) are actually met.

Your Social Worker - Gary Direnfeld, MSW, RSW

Family Court needs a standard practice for identifying and ranking conflict. It lacks this standardized method. I am of the STRONG opinion that Family Law should be guided more by mental health professionals than lawyers.

Good Luck!
                  Tayken
                  Yes sir. This is what I wanted to make the thread about. The actual criteria, Rule 24(4) and maximum contact in the absence of abuse as it relates to potential 50/50 regimes.

Comment

I didnt find the statements to be contradictory taken apart in the sense of punishment for a bad behaviour. LF32s ex was proven to be reasonable when she was "punished" for her behaviour. If she had continued to withhold and prevent access and lie and make false allegations then no they couldn't co-parent and they were not a good role model. And in that case he could have continued to say "mommy loves you very much and we are working together to make sure you are happy" or something along those lines.

Comment

If he's falsifying stuff for court .. yes it does speak to his character as a person. But so does making recordings of your child to build evidence for yourself (Angie). False allegations of abuse speaks to ones character AND their ability to parent. (Refer to the caselaw I posted earlier).

When one parent plays gatekeeper and denies another parent more time with their biological child in the absence of any abuse, it is hard for that parent to remain civil for sure.....it's their child too. Not everybody can do what I did and remain positive about my ex the entire court battle.

Please remember that if you had agreed to at least give an equal relationship a shot (few extra days/year) then none of this would be happening.

You want to be respected as a mother...but do you respect him as a father? If yes, enough to add a day or 2 of access as per his request?

I recorded my children so that I had proof that his allegations are false. They didn't even know it was happening. I am terrified of what he could plan to use against me. This is why I did that. As I have learned through this forum, a judge will not take my recordings into consideration and will not look favourably upon them; therefore I will not be using them in court. I have other means by which I can expose some of his lies and I will have to rely on those (if this makes it to court).
                      The fact that it HAS happened for 8 years indicates that it's not just because he wants more time. That is new, within the last few months. There have been MANY lies and manipulations of the kids in that time.

Comment

I recorded my children so that I had proof that his allegations are false. They didn't even know it was happening. I am terrified of what he could plan to use against me. This is why I did that. As I have learned through this forum, a judge will not take my recordings into consideration and will not look favourably upon them; therefore I will not be using them in court. I have other means by which I can expose some of his lies and I will have to rely on those (if this makes it to court).
                        The fact that it HAS happened for 8 years indicates that it's not just because he wants more time. That is new, within the last few months. There have been MANY lies and manipulations of the kids in that time.

Angie, one thing you need to remember is that the onus is on your ex to prove something he says. You will then have the ability to refute it. Good judges (and there are many) see through the crap to what is right. By buying into the fear of what he could do, youre playing into his hands perfectly. Stay calm, continue to do what youre doing, try to be reasonable and you will be fine.

Comment

If your ex is psychologically abusing and manipulating your children then you are a sorry excuse for a mother to even allow them to spend 35% of the time with him. You should have fought for not only primary custody but supervised visits.

Comment

Originally posted by len14 View Post
                            If your ex is psychologically abusing and manipulating your children then you are a sorry excuse for a mother to even allow them to spend 35% of the time with him. You should have fought for not only primary custody but supervised visits.

Submitted too quickly... but your ex is good enough for 35% access right?! Get out of the middle of his relationship with the children and their father, they own that relationship independently of you. You had the choice when you conceived your children with him, beyond that you have no business interfering with a parent wanting their children 50/50. It's unkind and damaging to your children.

Comment

Originally posted by rockscan View Post
                              Angie, one thing you need to remember is that the onus is on your ex to prove something he says. You will then have the ability to refute it. Good judges (and there are many) see through the crap to what is right. By buying into the fear of what he could do, youre playing into his hands perfectly. Stay calm, continue to do what youre doing, try to be reasonable and you will be fine.

That is what I am trying to do. It's difficult though. I tell myself a judge will see it as well.

Comment

That is what I am trying to do. It's difficult though. I tell myself a judge will see it as well.
                                Judges do... Especially the "common as teeth" ones.

http://www.ottawadivorce.com/forum/f...n-teeth-17253/

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                                Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                                Working...
                                X