This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adult Children Issues

Hi anyone know much about section 7 for children who have become or will become 18 while the divorce mess is going on. They have some scholarship money but not enough for tuition, books, medical dental glasses. The x stole the family computer and printer now need one for the adult children in University. The medical plan wont cover 80% of braces for all 3 and its huge payments left for me for all 3 kids over the next 2 years. He still wont disclose or cooperate with orders.

well the braces are more a cosmetic fix and can be done by the kids later in life if they want.

if he stole the computer did you report it to the police?

He will be responsible for 1/3 of the tution only

Comment

Hi thank you for some insight, all 3 started braces before he decided to file, there is 21,0000. outstanding on monthly payment plan for all 3 for the next 2 and half years. 2 were not cosmetic as once wisdom teeth were pulled the teeth were collapsing so the fix was braces to return them to there spots hold them in place till repaired the gaps. Have file police reports each time he breached court order and stole off the property but they didnt do anything as its civil they said and his property to. He even stole the joint vehicle out of the parking lot while I and our daughter were in getting the groceries, we had to go to court to get one vehicle as he took all 3. He had been taking a lot of things when I was at work and kids at school. Why only 1/3 when x was at the home we were paying for our firsts son tuition and books. The second couldn't work as ill during the 6 week break between public school and start of University, With his income and mine which he has been hiding his, the kids don't qualify for student loans. 3 kids glasses, braces, prescriptions, tuition, books, computer replacement, younger teenager in one extra outside school, piano, There has got to be some court precedence in this especially if it was being paid originally and entered University at 17 in one case and the other has a medical condition that limits the actual work she can take on, the 3 will be starting in the fall.
      I have no money left and am barely making the minimum payments on all the matrimonial debt because he refuses to pay. Matanance support is chasing him but its been 10 months and there having difficulty. We have pictures of him working but there having difficulty getting to the money.

Comment

The 1/3 rule is such that students are expected to pay for 1/3 of their own tuition...no reason they can't have a job while going to school...many people do that... even if they can't get OSAP I am sure they are able to get a student loan from the bank or what not.
        It is doubtful you will get any money out of him without either having a court order and if you do have that maybe time to file with FRO?

Comment

Sorry they cant qualify for student loans and I cant co sign for loan for them. 2 work part time for minimum wage while currently in University but the amount they make and there good savers, There is no possible way they will have enough for 1/3 which is about 4500. What is sad is that he can do this and not have any responsibility to any of this as we were saving for the kids education so they would not have the huge financial burden we had after finishing post secondary.He has taken it all and hidden it. This system is setting up every stupid x who is contemplating divorce to hide and create debt so they dont have to pay to help and support their own children.

Comment

Sorry, not sure I understand why a university student cannot earn $4500x2 (1/3 of tuition for 2 terms) over a 12 month period (which includes 4 month summer break).

CS is still payable, so presumably the parents are paying for accomodations/transport/food i.e. all living expenses.

(PS: love the tag: is financial wooing what happens when a person offers extravagant gifts to their boy/girlfriend?)

Comment

financial woos was because he saw me as a cash cow, wish it was the other way. Anyway 3 kids 2 in University we already were paying the tuition and books until he decided to go loonie with the whole poopoo, you don't make me Happy and I want to hoard and give all my money to lawyers so they can take holidays we could never afford, Gee why not support your kids instead..... sorry getting a little bitter. Kids work part time, have to do 10 hours volunteer work as per their curriculum per week then do 6 week practicums during their off months, not allot of time for full time work. We promised to help them through the first degree and we were doing that till his mental state decided to be selfish, not like he lost his job or dosn't make the money he just wants to be buried with it I guess. Its the 3rd kid starting in the fall thats going to get the worst as the other 2 we paid some already. But Macs arn't cheap and its one for 3 of them. I guess im just looking if we did it for the first ones why should it change.

Comment

you can get a decent computer for around 700 bucks or less. Maybe the kids will have to put off school until they save up the money to pay their third. Your life has changed and now you have to deal with the cards you are dealt. he has left and that is your new reality.

You my want him to pay more for the university but he only has to pay a third, no sense in wishing or wanting more as it will not happen.

Comment

Well - my 2 cents: it's not really a third for each parent, it's the remaining 2/3 (1/3 is kid's portion) shared between the parents, pro-rata of income.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                  Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                  Working...
                  X