You may want to google your judge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You may want to google your judge

Just a thought..... We all know that there is a poverty of judges available in Family Law. This is part of the reason that we all spend endless months (and even years) in a system that is endlessly back-logged. As part of the "solution" judges are often parachuted from other jurisdictions with little or no experience. This is particularly hard for us self-reps...who look to judges as impartial experts for advice on how our case might play out. After getting bullied by the judge in my own Motion turned Settlement Conference...I decided to google him. The judge had told me he had over "20 years experience" in Family Law....and that I better heed his advice. I wondered how his opinion of my case could be so drastically different than what my old lawyer and previous CC judge had stated. Turns out this SC judge was appointed to the bench only 8 months prior to my conference and his entire legal career was spent in civil litigation...his "20 years" in Family Law actually amounted to two years back in 1986. Had I known this before...I wonder if I would have taken his interpretation of my case with a grain of salt. Hard to say...but Lord help those of us who get these kind of judges for trial or motions. So word to the wise...maybe give your judge a little google before you step into that conference room...and hope you get someone with experience if you are at a motion or trial.

It should go without saying, you also google your own proposed lawyer, and the one your ex is using. Check Canlii as well, for all.
    Start a discussion, not a fire. Post with kindness.

Comment

I've Googled user nicks here... the one's that a know aren't you crack me up lol

Comment

Originally posted by paris View Post
        I've Googled user nicks here... the one's that a know aren't you crack me up lol
        Hah! you're not kidding, I googled my nick just for the hell of it and here's what I ended up with:

Janibel trash cans!!!
        Janibel diaper pails !!!!

and my favorite ............. Janibel MotorMaid!!!! (maid? story of my life) lol

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
        Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
        Working...
        X