Can I cite case law in an affidavit ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I cite case law in an affidavit ?

Hi all, I am preparing a notice of motion regarding the sale of the marital home, specifically to dispense with STBX's consent on pertinent documents.

There is case law, except my case is more egregious. Questions:

1. Is it appropriate to cite case law in my affidavit ?
    2. If not, how do I bring the case law to the Justice's attention ?

Thank you

You can swear that anything is true (so long as it is true), but it is generally unhelpful.

The best option is by preparing a factum.

Otherwise, you can prepare a book of authories and file it in advance of your motion, or to bring the case with you to court. Either way, you will have provided the case to opposing counsel beforehand. A prudent litigant would highlight the sentences that are relevant or will be referenced.

Comment

Preferably with a yellow highlighter. Don't use a dark colour. I just had to read a photo copy of a BoA that someone used an orange one on... Ugh. It came out as brown streaks and I had to pull it all myself and re-do.

Comment

Originally posted by plainNamedDad44 View Post
        Hi all, I am preparing a notice of motion regarding the sale of the marital home, specifically to dispense with STBX's consent on pertinent documents.

There is case law, except my case is more egregious. Questions:

Thank you
        You can cite anything you want. But it all come to the best interest of the children (if you have any). Good luck

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
        Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
        Working...
        X