Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What happens when an offer to settle is accepted?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What happens when an offer to settle is accepted?

What happens if an offer to settle is accepted? My ex filed a motion to change. We headed to a trial management conference after I get to interrogate regarding his lack of disclosure. He recently sent me an offer to settle to which I am agreeable except that I want an order identifying the terms of the settlement filed with the court and the ongoing child support terms registered with FRO. I am sending his lawyer a counter offer that is substantially his offer with the FRO requirement inserted. If he agrees, what is next step in this process?

I am thinking that you do not need the fro requirement inserted. Others will be able to tell you that better. If it doesn't have to be in there then accept his offer.

Comment

Originally posted by standing on the sidelines View Post
      I am thinking that you do not need the fro requirement inserted. Others will be able to tell you that better. If it doesn't have to be in there then accept his offer.
      Accept and all signed court agreements are automatically registered with FRO. The Receiver will be sent an information package and once completed and accepted the Payor receives a package. Once they complete theirs you are registered in the system. It takes about a minimum of 6 weeks to process the paperwork and that is reliant on both parties completing their paperwork promptyly. It can take longer. My daughter took 4 months to finally ve active and then Dad just did not pay until some enforcement axtion was taken. Now he pays but not ontime and not a full amount, so we are now pushing for at slurce garnishment. We are a year into the process. It can be very frustrating.

Good Luck
      Last edited by Beachnana; 02-28-2014, 09:32 AM. Reason: Spelling error

Comment

Originally posted by Beachnana View Post
        Accept and all signed court agreements are automatically registered with FRO. The Receiver will be sent an information package and once completed and accepted the Payor receives a package.
        No.

All court orders are automatically registered with FRO. Agreements made outside of court MAY be registered with FRO if either party so chooses. All one needs to do to register with FRO is file the agreement at the courthouse and, once filed, send a copy to FRO with the registration request/application.

Registering your case | Ministry of Community and Social Services

Support orders

At the time of separation or divorce, the court may issue a support order and a support deduction order. The support deduction order gives us the authority to ask the payor’s employer to deduct the support payments from the payor’s income. The court automatically sends us these orders.
        Once we have the support order or support deduction order, we register your case by:
        1. contacting you (we contact both the payor and the recipient) to:
        • welcome you to the program
        • confirm the contact information in the order
        • explain how the program works and what your responsibilities are

2. assigning a seven-digit case number to your case.
        We will also mail you a registration package. When you are completing the forms in the registration package, provide as much information as possible. We use this information to enforce and maintain your support order or domestic contract.

Domestic contracts

A domestic contract is a formal written agreement between people setting out their family law rights and obligations towards each other. There are five kinds of domestic contracts:
        • marriage contracts
        • cohabitation agreements
        • paternity agreements
        • separation agreements, and
        • family arbitration agreements.

If you want us to enforce your domestic contract or agreement, you must register it with us. To do this, you:
        1. File the domestic contract or agreement with the Ontario Court of Justice or Superior Court of Justice with an Affidavit for Filing.
        2. Mail FRO copies of:
        • the domestic contract
        • the Affidavit for Filing, and
        • a completed FRO registration package.

Keep copies of all the documents for your own records.

If you don’t know where the payor lives or works, we have a number of tools available to search for this information.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
        Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
        Working...
        X