Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I dont believe 30 days is a cutoff but rather a change in fees you have to pay as well as you might have to explain to a judge why you waited so long. I could be wrong but maybe someone else can explain better.

Comment

I just talked with the Law Society, after 30 days I have to file a Motion and explain why. I don't think "I didn't know I could assess a bill" is going to cut it.
      Can anyone point me to where I would learn to file a Motion to have a bill assessed?

Comment

Things I've learned about lawyers: (aka how to save money re: lawyers)

They really don't want to hear from you unless it's wholly, completely, absolutely and utterly urgent. Most don't want you to waste your money.

Do as much work as you can yourself. This advice came naturally to me. There is some work your lawyer will be able to do, but if you can do it yourself, you could save a lot of $. Also, there are some details that only you can provide, and often your lawyer won't even think about asking; after all, he/she is not a mind reader.

Of course going to trial can be very expensive so if you can resolve some of the issues with your spouse, that can go a long way in saving $.

Most lawyers go by the 6 minute increment rate, so if you do need to contact your lawyer, be sure to try and organize your questions within the 6 minutes instead of 2 or 3 minutes at a time with several e-mails or phone calls. Keep in mind that one minute will be charged the same as 6 minutes.

Unless you need to have weekly or bi-weekly contact with your lawyer, do not panic if you don't hear from him/her for a month. Unless you want to find out of your lawyer is still alive. Then you can call the office.

Comment

Very good advice caranna. I have also noticed that it seems like my lawyer just likes to drag things on and on when they dont really need to be. I have also spoken with a few other people and they to wonder if the lawyers are working together to drag it along and milk as much cash from you as possible.

I have sent my lawyer another email requesting detail again as well as few other question such as being invoiced about $750 for services on a day (Saturday) I know she was camping.

The system is a complete mess from what i can see.

Comment

It's been almost a year of separation. I filed for divorce last month, and still nothing. I've fired 2 lawyers already, and the third appears to be sitting on my case, but may be that because it is rather complicated and he recently returned from vacation, he needs more time. I'll be out of town on business next week so will likely contact him in another 2 weeks if I don't hear from him.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisB View Post
              Very good advice caranna. I have also noticed that it seems like my lawyer just likes to drag things on and on when they dont really need to be. I have also spoken with a few other people and they to wonder if the lawyers are working together to drag it along and milk as much cash from you as possible.

I have sent my lawyer another email requesting detail again as well as few other question such as being invoiced about $750 for services on a day (Saturday) I know she was camping.

The system is a complete mess from what i can see.
              Both my first lawyer and opposition lawyer were milking me for time spent with their weekly correspondence and chats. I think she (opposition lawyer) was infatuated with him (my lawyer.) My second lawyer was careful with my money but then again she hardy worked.

Comment

monthly detail billing is the only way to go. You must insist on it when you first retain your lawyer, particularly after you have given them the big fat retainer. Might keep them honest. Hard to go back over a bill a year later and question it don't you think?

Comment

The longer you wait to request them, the harder it will be to get them.
                  While there are no benefits to waiting, there should be no issue on the lawyer's end as common billing software lets you enter the work as you go (or at the end of a day or week) with a description. That being said, lawyers are generally close mouthed about their billing practices so take that for what it's worth.

Date; Description of Word Done; Hours or Time Worked (usually in increments of 6 minutes); Amount charged, and Name or Initials of persons who did the work. If it was an assistant it should be at a lower rate than the lawyer in question.
                  This is very reasonable. An alternative to time worked would be a block fee, for example for real estate work.

It's a business model that, to my admittedly limited knowledge, isn't practiced in any other industry.
                  I believe dentists utilize the same method (or at least mine does). Doctors are piece workers, as are veterinarians.

The % has varied with different bills and I don't get any advance notice about it. So when I disagree with any items, I'm never sure if it's worth contesting, because the discount may vanish or something. I'm sure that's the cunning plan, so I just pay instead of arguing.
                  Some lawyers include discounts for reasons including:
                  - They like the client;
                  - High volume of "low intensity" work, such as hours of 2-minute e-mails (billed at 0.1 each);
                  - Public relations;
                  - If the account is not paid, the discount is usually contingent on payment and thus it pays them for the time put in to obtain the rest of the bill if necessary.

Comment

Look on the LSUC's website under the many points of "Lawyers Code of Ethics" - see if there's anything on there that you can use to bolster your argument that the fees are above and beyond the service provided and then have the bill assessed. There's an $80 filing fee and you will need to serve the lawyer.

I did this re: an $8,000 bill and I was successful. But the lawyer was a total jackass, had nothing to back up what he was claiming, lied to the Registrar etc. We had a 1 day hearing. Make copies of all relevant emails. In fact, make about 5 copies of everything so that you have copies for all parties and a couple of extras for yourself.

Comment

Call your local courthouse and ask them which floor/room or counter you need to go to, to get your lawyer's bill assessed.

Comment

Originally posted by OrleansLawyer View Post
                        I believe dentists utilize the same method (or at least mine does). Doctors are piece workers, as are veterinarians.
                        It all depends how the doctors practice is setup in which jurisdiction and what area of medicine they practice in but, your general observation is correct.

In fact, the billing code system is based on ICD-9 in most provinces. You can get the price list off the internet for what they can charge for various clinical encounters. You can also request your records from the MoH and it will outline every encounter, encounter code, date, time and what the province allows the Doctor to charge for that type of encounter.

The major difference is that doctors work off a set price list. Lawyers set their rate. There is no set standard for what they can charge and the LSUC doesn't maintain governance over billing nor is there a ministry responsible for setting the expectations.

It would be nice if there was one... Just like Doctors have...

Comment

It would be nice if there was one... Just like Doctors have...
                          While every lawyer has the right to set their own rate, many use this as a rule of thumb (with variance based upon reputation and region):
                          Tariff for the Calculation of Costs | The Law Society of Upper Canada

The major difference is that doctors work off a set price list. Lawyers set their rate.
                          Doctors work for the government; lawyers for themselves. Lawyers and plumbers decide what their time is worth, although I suspect both groups would trade that right for a doctor's salary.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                          Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                          Working...
                          X