This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Travel out of Country - no details

Wife is planning on taking the kids out of the country this week. Only details I have are the day she leaves/comes back and the city/country she is going to. She doesn't feel like she needs to provide anything else. She wants me to sign a consent to travel letter. (it also lists only the city/country and dates - no other info)
    What am I entitled to know before letting my kids go off with her? I think I should know their flight and accommodation info at least. I also know nothing about my kid's passports, as she applied for them.
    What happens if she just refuses to tell me? Obviously I can just not sign the letter, but she could still try to go. Can I keep my kids with me until she gives the info?
    Please advise.

The consent to travel should have the child(ren) info IE name, birth date address.
    The same info for the custodial and non-custodial parents.
    As well as when they will be leaving the country, when they will be returning, where they will be staying and the contact info for the place they are staying and who the child(ren) are traveling with.
    We have signed dozens of these over the years and they include all of the above. How can you informatively consent when you do not know what you are consenting to?

Comment

In my case, I do not have to inform my ex of any travel plans, nor do I have a mobility clause in the final order.
      Do you have an existing order in place?

Comment

We have no legal/private agreements between us. It is self-declared joint custody.

Comment

I echo FL's post. We have signed these as well, many times. And they always include such detailed information.

Here are some links for you to check out:

Sample Consent Letter

Travel with Children

Travel Consent Form (Canada) LawDepot.com

Comment

I am familiar with these examples. My wife has sent me a "version" of the first one to sign. It basically has one paragraph stating the dates of travel and the city/country, then skips right to my information and a signature.

Is it my right to know the details though? I don't feel comfortable letting them go without contact and flight info.

Comment

Since you have no court document or written agreements in place that state otherwise, then yes, you should be informed of where they are going and the details involved. Heaven forbid there is an emergency of some sort and you have no idea where your children are.

Comment

Originally posted by baileybug View Post
                I am familiar with these examples. My wife has sent me a "version" of the first one to sign. It basically has one paragraph stating the dates of travel and the city/country, then skips right to my information and a signature.

Is it my right to know the details though? I don't feel comfortable letting them go without contact and flight info.
                If I were you, I'd send your ex the link and tell her to provide all the information required. Only then will you sign the consent. ;-)
                (You can also ask her to do what we've asked my stepson's mom to do, and that is write the letter of consent herself, filling out all the necessary information, and emailing it to us for signing.)

Comment

Update - she refuses to provide me with the information. She says its none of my business. What do i do? Can I refuse to release my kids to her until she gives me the info? Can she call the police on me if I do? Help!

Comment

Let her call the police, they will likely inform her that she has no reason to hide the information as they are your children as well, they may even question why she is withholding details.
                    Stand your ground.

Comment

I agree with Kimberley, if she calls the police they may very well tell her you have every right to the info and within your right to refuse to sign without it.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                      Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                      Working...
                      X