Passport Exchange...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Passport Exchange...?

My Ex and I have joint custody of our two children (11 & 13). I had notified my ex 3 weeks ago about taking the children to the USA for the weekend driving across the border. She said she had no problem with doing so. (We have agreed at a PN7 intervention that the ex would keep the passports and hand them over two weeks prior to travel). I have requested the children's passports and times she is available to get a travel consent letter signed and notarized for the last two weeks. She now has refused to provide any times she is available for me to get the letter signed or pick up the passports. I have emailed her lawyer about the situation and she has forwarded my concerns but still no response. We had planned to leave this Friday but time is running out. Is there anything I can do that I haven’t done already? Or am I SOL? Thanks…

"Dear Ex,

As you may be aware, I asked for consent to travel on [DATE], and on [DATE] I asked for the passports. As of May 30, 2016, you have not responded to my requests. Unfortunately, if I do not hear from you by 2pm today telling me the time you are willing to meet to provide with the passports and the signed consents, I will assume that you intend to unreasonably withhold consent and I will take appropriate actions."

.... and as a sidenote, in the future, don't wait until 5 days before you leave to start doing stuff. Generally, 30 days is enough time to get in a motion to compel request. Should have demanded the consent in March, and threatened to take action by May 1st.

Comment

Children who cross the border by car do not need a passport. A birth certificate will do.

The only concern is if ex makes a huge fuss saying you kidnapped the kids.

Good luck.

Comment

^

Divorced/separated parents who share custody of their children should carry copies of the legal custody documents when crossing the border.
        https://www.crossbordershopping.ca/b...-with-children

Comment

I've traveled internationally with my kids on my own 6 times. 5 times we were still married - and I got a consent letter just in case. I was asked for it twice - once leaving when driving to Buffalo and once coming back (different trip) flying from Europe.
          You need the consent letter.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
          Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
          Working...
          X