Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ex threatening to cancel appointment

Hi,
    I have joint custody with my children. They spend 40% of their time with me. I attend almost all doctor/dentists/ eye appointments, etc. We share in making the appointments, although we've had challenges with her not wanting me to make appointments and she has cancelled and rescheduled my appointments in the past without talking to me first.

Recently I booked an appointment for my child to get new glasses and notified my ex immediately. My child's glasses frames are getting very small against her head and it's been two years since she got her last pair. At the same time, my other child from my current relationship needs new glasses, so I wanted to take advantage of the two for one at the eye glass place.

My ex is insisting I cancel the eye appointment and that she will take our child to the eye doctor in August to get glasses. That if I don't cancel the appointment by tomorrow afternoon, she will.

I don't want to get in a pissing match. Our divorce trial date is coming up in the fall and I don't want to seem unreasonable. I am thinking that I'll tell her that I'm keeping the appointment. If I show up and it's cancelled, then I just make note of that for the trial.Am I wrong in understanding that as parents with joint custody, we can each share in taking care of these things?

Thoughts?

Why the wait until August??

If the kid needs glasses, take her for glasses. Let the ex bring up in court how unreasonable she thinks it was for you to do so.

Comment

August because, it was last August she was seen by the eye doctor (separate issue from her glasses) and school is starting in September. At least those are reasons she gave.

Comment

Does she want to pay half her share for the eyeglasses, or does she want to pay three quarters of it? If you could have gotten the eyeglasses for half price but she made you pay full price, I'd make her pay the full difference!

Comment

I have health insurance that will cover part of it. It's not about money. She'd pay for all of it (in the past she's taken her to get glasses and just paid it and won't even inform me of how much is left to cover and she sometimes won't even put it through on benefits.)

Comment

doesn't the child get yearly eye exams with her regular optometrist?

Comment

This is her regular optometrist and it was a year ago she had her annual eye exam and two years ago she got her glasses. She had an additional eye exam last August for another eye issue.

Comment

I would talk to her about it and say the daughter needs glasses now as she is in discomfort either you take her, you guys go together or she takes her but it has to be now. If she insists on calling to cancel, tell her you will just call another optometrist

Put your balls on the table...

Comment

Originally posted by Links17 View Post
                  I would talk to her about it and say the daughter needs glasses now as she is in discomfort either you take her, you guys go together or she takes her but it has to be now. If she insists on calling to cancel, tell her you will just call another optometrist

Put your balls on the table...
                  I've never heard that expression before LOL

get the kid glasses .... not a big issue.... keep your receipts and nit-pick about it at a later time. As I recall, everyone rushes in August to get kids to optometrists and dentists. Beat the rush.

Comment

Originally posted by integrity View Post
                    If I show up and it's cancelled, then I just make note of that for the trial.
                    Yes!

And reschedule. Hopefully she cancels multiple times before the trial, that will be solid gold. Send an email after each time telling her that you went to the appointment and asking her how it is in the best interests of your child to cancel the appointment.

Seriously, solid gold. Make as many appointments as possible, in everything. I cannot believe she would be so stupid. Women rarely lose in court, but this could be an exception.

Except...

I have joint custody with my children. They spend 40% of their time with me.
                    Hahahaha

You have nothing. You are one sick day away from being a 39.8% parent which in family law means that you are not a parent at all. Why on earth would you agree before trial to less than 50%?

Screw the glasses, the bigger issue is that you have already conceded that she is a better parent and that you suck as a parent. Worry about that instead.

Comment

I asked for 50% during the separation agreement and at the time I wasn't as informed and my first lawyer told me it was good as I was going to get. I've learned a lot since then. Truthfully, I have them 46% (she has them two additional Thursdays per month). With preparing for the divorce and a new lawyer, I asked for the additional Thursdays but have been told because of status quo that may be difficult.

She cancelled the appointment. She's cancelled numerous appointments I've made since our separation. I have records of all of it for the trial.

Comment

man up, call another optometrist and take your daughter and send the biatch the bill. if u don't u will lose respect of everybody around you

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                        Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                        Working...
                        X