Career dive seems dumb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Career dive seems dumb

The settlement conference judge has advised that a will be paying a whole wack of spousal support. So i am contemplating of paying myself less or looking for a lower paying job or just changing careers.

Seems to be dump but judges ruling to pay someone who earns a decent living wack of spousal support seems ludicrous.

So what will the court do to me? What is the worst that can happen

Doing that ^ would be dumb. You could likely have income imputed on your previous income and then where would you be? You'd be working for less pay and really struggling to pay. It's not difficult to prove someone is underemployed nowadays.

Take a deep breath and review your files. It is pretty much a mathematical thing. Conference judge is likely urging you to seek settlement no?

I'd spend time looking at the best way to negotiate a settlement or a step-down amount of SS over a period of time. Important thing is to get an end date for the SS and make sure your agreement is worded correctly (should you settle). If your ex is young she runs the risk of having the trial judge order a shorter term anyhow, particularly if she is young enough to retrain or get back in the work force if she hasn't worked in a while.

Comment

Details anywhere?

Comment

Originally posted by arabian View Post
        Doing that ^ would be dumb. You could likely have income imputed on your previous income and then where would you be? You'd be working for less pay and really struggling to pay. It's not difficult to prove someone is underemployed nowadays.

Take a deep breath and review your files. It is pretty much a mathematical thing. Conference judge is likely urging you to seek settlement no?

I'd spend time looking at the best way to negotiate a settlement or a step-down amount of SS over a period of time. Important thing is to get an end date for the SS and make sure your agreement is worded correctly (should you settle). If your ex is young she runs the risk of having the trial judge order a shorter term anyhow, particularly if she is young enough to retrain or get back in the work force if she hasn't worked in a while.
        She still is in the workforce. The judge is considering income disparity.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
        Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
        Working...
        X