This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• opinions on paying child supoprt

I have been paying child support since the beginning, at the front door when I drop my child off. Recently my child asked why I pay her mother. I told my child it was to help pay for food, shelter and clothing, basically to help take care of her.

Now, a few weeks after telling my child what the payments are for, her mother has told me to stop paying her in front of our child.

Does anybody have any thoughts on this? Do you think there is anything wrong with paying in front of the child?

Your child has every right to know you are supporting her and making sure she has what she needs. No matter what age.

Did you ask your ex why she disapproves? Does she feel it's not the child's business? Why not? Does she want the child to think you aren't providing for her?

Maybe you should suggest that your ex come and pick it up from now on when SHE picks up the child.

Comment

animosity aside

Hi Gord Shell,

Your right to question what is wrong with being honest with you child. And you are right that there is no logical reason why this should bother your ex-wife...but it does obviously....looks like you have 3 choices.

1. Ask your wife why it bothers her..and be ready for some self-serving but none the less ...reason and then get pissed off.
      THIS SERVES HER.

2. Ignore the ex, piss her off and she will make a world of negative that you and your daughter will pay for later because your ex-can.
      THIS SERVES YOU (you may think)

3. Do what she says, THEN ask her out of earshot of your daughter why this was a problem for her... letting her know that you think it would be healthy for the 2 of you to open a dialog about your daughter outside of the door step...if this is troublesome to her..
      THIS SERVES YOUR DAUGHTER.

your call

Comment

Why not just pay her out of sight of your child? You can still be frank with your child about the money.

Comment

With the negative light the ex usually places on me, it's a piece of mind knowing my child knows she is being taken care of ... by me as well.

Thanks for the responses...

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
          Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
          Working...
          X