Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Truism Exposed?": Justice Quinn says your complaints are as common as teeth!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Truism Exposed?": Justice Quinn says your complaints are as common as teeth!

Hi All,

I think a vast majority of the responses provided by senior posters on this forum regarding new posters "complaints" about the other parent/ex-partner are summed up best by the Honourable Mr. Justice Quinn in para. 2:

[2] Each of the parties has brought a motion asking that changes be made to court-ordered provisions concerning their children. The motions are of the type seen every day in our courts. They were heard as a trial with oral evidence. The complaints of the parties are as common as teeth. The end result of each motion would be self-evident to any rational, objective observer..
    Stirling v. Blake, 2013 ONSC 5216 (CanLII)
    Date: 2013-08-12
    Docket: 1068/00
    URL: CanLII - 2013 ONSC 5216 (CanLII)
    Citation: Stirling v. Blake, 2013 ONSC 5216 (CanLII)

I won't spoil this one by quoting it to death and remind everyone to READ THE FOOTNOTES that Justice Quinn writes:

CanLII - 2013 ONSC 5216 (CanLII)

Well... except for this gem of a footnote!

If her current relationship fails, Ms. Stirling should seek counselling with a view to determining why she has no talent for picking a mate. Alternatively, she should not live with or marry another man without the written permission of her six closest friends, who, no doubt, will see what she, so far, has failed to see.
    Ok... There is this very wise footnote too:

It has been my non-clinical observation that many litigants who reach the trial stage in Family Court suffer from some form of personality disorder. Perhaps Family Court should be placed under the Ministry of Health. Too many litigants hijack Family Court, squandering valuable and diminishing resources in the process. Anyone can walk into a court house and frivolously start or defend a proceeding that, like a runaway train, is difficult to halt in a timely manner and not before damage is done.

Personality disorders are “a group of disorders in which fixed patterns of thought and behaviour cause persistent life problems.” People with such disorders “have ingrained patterns of thought and behaviour that prevent them from fitting in with society . . . Although many people have strong personalities, this is not the same as a personality disorder. People with personality disorders are inflexible and unable to adapt”: Younger-Lewis, Catherine (ed.). Canadian Medical Association Complete Home Medical Guide, 2d ed. Toronto: Dorling Kindersley Limited, 2005.
    Cheers Justice Quinn! Thank-you for being a Family Law Justice!

Good Luck!
    Tayken

Thank you for this. Now it confirms why I am headed to court--when we shouldn't be. I hope in court they will "expose" my ex for taking us down this path. I hope I get a judge that sees things the way they are.

Comment

Originally posted by mememe View Post
      Thank you for this. Now it confirms why I am headed to court--when we shouldn't be. I hope in court they will "expose" my ex for taking us down this path. I hope I get a judge that sees things the way they are.
      Please don't expect "they" to prove your case. It is a lesson I have been trying to explain to my children for a very long time. When you don't take complete ownership for your situation, you have lost control.

"The economy", " I have been out of the work force for a very long time", " My boss" etc etc is the cause of your problems you are basically giving up and to me it is just a poor excuse of not having to deal with your issues. When your results, your life, your attitude, your situation is someone's elses responsibility you of course cannot be at fault.
      We are all where we are because of choices we made. Just remember this is your life and to leave it in someone's elses hands is a very dangerous choice.

You need to stand up to the plate, educate yourself on how to get to where you need to be.

I was fortunate to have an amazing lawyer and on our first meeting he quoted a line that a professor said to him his first day of law school.
      "There is truth and then there is proof and only the proof counts in a court of law".

There is a lot of blame in divorce proceedings but just as everyone else here, I made choices. No one held a gun to anyone's head to marry, or to have children. You need to take control of your future and DO NOT leave it in anyone elses hands. THIS IS YOUR LIFE.

Comment

Momforever1956, I'm looking for a really good lawyer to handle my case, experienced with OCL and joint custodies, can you recommend one for me please?

Sent from my SGH-I717D using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Tayken View Post
          Hi All,

I think a vast majority of the responses provided by senior posters on this forum regarding new posters "complaints" about the other parent/ex-partner are summed up best by the Honourable Mr. Justice Quinn in para. 2:

Date:2013-08-12
          URL:CanLII - 2013 ONSC 5216 (CanLII)

I won't spoil this one by quoting it to death and remind everyone to READ THE FOOTNOTES that Justice Quinn writes:

CanLII - 2013 ONSC 5216 (CanLII)

Well... except for this gem of a footnote!

Ok... There is this very wise footnote too:

Good Luck!
          Tayken
          Thanks for sharing this with us Tayken, this is an excellent example of the right approach by the judge!

Comment

Originally posted by paco View Post
            Momforever1956, I'm looking for a really good lawyer to handle my case, experienced with OCL and joint custodies, can you recommend one for me please?

Paco, I will send you a private message. The lawyer I used does not like to go down the "court road" and believes that if it can be settled with a mediator, arbitrator then it should.

He is a very well respected lawyer, but also very expensive. Are you still interested?

Comment

Yes please.

Comment

Hi Momforever1956

My philosophy has always been "10% you have no control over, 90% is how you react to the 10%"

For the past 5 years I move forward no matter what 10% barriers have been put in front of me.

Absolutely have followed that documentation and proof is the key. And all my numbers have documented proof.

So..... I have done what the courts expect. I have always tried to be respectful in my emails to my ex with others vetting the language.

I get it. But when there is no one on the other side wanting to negotiate, talk and be reasonable-----it is a challenge and costly and emotionally draining. I want to be free and I keep pushing forward. However no matter how cordial, inviting the ex to share information, work together, then go to the lawyer-----no matter what I do---nothing changes. We are working with a wall. We give them proof of information of my numbers and they ignore it. As my lawyer said, it is like no one is even looking at our emails or gets back to us. We offer 4 ways. No. His numbers are so off, assets are hidden and he puts barriers where no barriers should be put. He couldn't even close a line of credit that he was the principal on...so I had to go to my lawyer. He served me with divorce papers, and he won't give me my religious divorce.

My only hope in court is that they see I did what the courts wanted and he didn't. It is a crap shoot. One judge,depending on their point of view will manage this.

I have done everything I can, I gave him opportunities (I wasn't going to be a hounding wife, because i am not the wife any more) and nothing is done. He could go on forever with no divorce, no separate of funds. He doesn't care, does nothing and is saving money on his lawyer. I just want my freedom.

Comment

Some people are fortunate to be able to resolve matters and settle out of court.

I found 4-way settlement meetings to be a total waste of time as anything agreed to was not adhered to by my ex. Requests for information were never followed. Waste of time and money.

mememe - tossing things to a judge is certainly a crap-shoot but sometimes that is the best way. Don't expect a perfect ending and you won't be disappointed.

Comment

Mememe, that's the only way, keep pushing, as long as you did your part respectfully to everyone involved in your case believe me, this is what judges are looking for, I had it proven last Monday when my ex and her lawyer wanted tp drag me in some sort of blaming discussion, I just cut their crap right from the start, I told the judge that I'm not there for point fingering but to find the right solutions for my kids best interests, belive me from that on I was leading the discusion, they were so quite, mute as a fish, no labeling and show evidence, don't talk from your head, this is what judges want a hear...

Comment

Your comment is helpful. I think keeping the messages "I am here to settle". We want a "win win". "How is this helpful in moving this forward". In answers and in our minds will allow one to direct the conversations.

To the question of court-- I never wanteds to go to court. I kEep hearing less than 20 per cent go to court. That is the 10 per cent out. Of my hands. They are forcing us gto court.

Comment

Mememe, it sounds like to me that you are living exactly what I endured the last 5 years. Hang in there, as long as you an prove the numbers he will be backed to the wall. I believe we share a lot, as in the profession of our x spouce, our religion, ( I got my get within 6 weeks of separation, lucky me as if it hadn't been done immediately and he realized the importance it would have never been done.)
                        I truly feel what you are dealing with. Ultimately during arbitration his salary was more than doubled and that is what my SS was based on. Unfortunately I could not prove the assets out of the country although I did hire a private detective but the costs started to escalate and I could not longer move forward.
                        If I can help in any way private message me. Been there. done that and with success. I am protected from arbitration date for 5 years with a clause that says no change no matter what and I am permitted to work, (which I am doing having been out of the work force for 25 years.)
                        In 2017 we will re-negotiate. Of course he has sold his offices. He is setting up to have zero income.

Comment

Yes, that's right, I was forced to go to court, so if they want a play, then let's play, let's rock them hard, and this is what I'm going to do. There is a dark road ahead, but at the end I'm going to see the sun for my little ones!

Comment

Originally posted by Tayken View Post
                            Hi All,

Date: 2013-08-12
                            URL: CanLII - 2013 ONSC 5216 (CanLII)

Good Luck!
                            Tayken
                            I read through the case (which must say something about the state of my social life, if this is what I'm doing on a Saturday night!). While it sounds like a complete trainwreck, with duelling parents working hard to screw up the kids, I was taken aback by the sarcastic and snide tone employed by the judge. Many of her comments are clever and funny, but struck me as unprofessional, compared to other cases I have read. Of what possible relevance is it that one party has used five different surnames, or that Hank Williams recorded a song in 1950 that describes a situation similar to the respondent's?

I have no doubt that dealing with people like these two, day in and day out (65 appearances in court in 10 years!) is frustrating, but the judge comes off as flippant and exasperated, rather than thoughtful. I have a job where I am frequently dealing with people whom I think are unreasonable, but I try to keep my exasperation out of official communication. Take a couple of yoga breaths, go for a walk, visualize your happy place ... and then sit down and get back to work.

Comment

Originally posted by paco View Post
                              Thanks for sharing this with us Tayken, this is an excellent example of the right approach by the judge!

Paco,

Then you should read this case law that I reviewed on the forum.

http://www.ottawadivorce.com/forum/f...-mossip-13753/

Justice Mossip is one of a handful of very good justices... Czutrin, Pazaratz, Harper, etc... This case law talks directly to the nonsense that people bring to court and is one of the most human decisions I have ever come across.

I constantly cite Justice Mossip from this case law... I am of the opinion that as part the the MEP process all litigants should be required to read this case law and sign a disclosure that they did.

Good Luck!
                              Tayken

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X