This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Holiday Access vs. "Normal" Access Schedule

My ex and I each have (through court order) 2 non-consecutive weeks with the children over the summer and the remainder of the summer will be our normal access schedule. My question is how does a week run and also how do you take into account the weekends on either side as typically 1 is mine and 1 is his and how do you fit it into the "normal" access schedule? We very difficultly managed to book our week for July but I want to try to avoid the arguements and issues for our week in August.

Keep it simple.

If your court order does not indicate any restrictions (other than non-consecutive), then there are none. Any 7 days may be picked (even if it adjoins onto some existing regular schedule time ... which is VERY likely to happen for the parent with more time).

Yes, it means that you EACH may lose a regular weekend - but that's actually just equivalent to a weekend swap. Not a big deal (I'm currently facing weekend #3 without my little one - 20 days between last & next access - but it evens out next month).

Also, think about the possibility of taking a charter flight, which may be Weds-Weds, or Fri-Fri, and you realise that restricting only Sat-Sat or Sun-Sun is too restrictive. And taking 7 days plus regular weekend is the ONLY way to take such a trip, since you leave on day 1 and return on day 8.

The regular schedule does not apply during those 7 days, but is not 'suspended' i.e. the usual weekend alternation pattern continues undisturbed after the 7 days is over. No makeup for time lost.

Having a 'first pick of weeks alternates yearly between parents' clause would be useful.
    Last edited by dinkyface; 07-18-2011, 05:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dinkyface View Post
      Keep it simple.

If your court order does not indicate any restrictions (other than non-consecutive), then there are none. Any 7 days may be picked (even if it adjoins onto some existing regular schedule time ... which is VERY likely to happen for the parent with more time).

Yes, it means that you EACH may lose a regular weekend - but that's actually just equivalent to a weekend swap. Not a big deal (I'm currently facing weekend #3 without my little one - 20 days between last & next access - but it evens out next month).

Also, think about the possibility of taking a charter flight, which may be Weds-Weds, or Fri-Fri, and you realise that restricting only Sat-Sat or Sun-Sun is too restrictive. And taking 7 days plus regular weekend is the ONLY way to take such a trip, since you leave on day 1 and return on day 8.

The regular schedule does not apply during those 7 days, but is not 'suspended' i.e. the usual weekend alternation pattern continues undisturbed after the 7 days is over. No makeup for time lost.

Having a 'first pick of weeks alternates yearly between parents' clause would be useful.
      I agree, it is very simple, if you have a clause stating "first pick of weeks alternates yearly" This was very important in our seperation agreement. However, because one child's birthday falls during the summer, whoever does not have the children for that week, is allowed to spend a day with the children during the others access period.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
      Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
      Working...
      X