This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Been a long road already!

Have been reading the posts for some time now and finally decided to get my own story out there - for support, advice, and to clear my head. So here goes.....

My husband immigrated to Canada when our son was 1 yo. We had lived together in his country for about 1 year, so I was completely surprised to find him to be a totally different person in Canada - miserable, controlling, abusive and unhelpful with our son. After almost 18 months, I'd had enough. I had worked very hard at our relationship including buying a house with my pre-marriage savings to get out of my parents home which I thought may be the problem, going to marriage counselling, encouraging him to make freinds in Canada as well as amoung his community here. Things just got progressively worse. Since our separation, he's become increasingly abusive to the point where I have a restraining order, supervised access with our son, and he's been charged with criminal harrasement.

I've been in court 4 times in the last year - spent the remainder of my savings, and fear for my safety and that of my son. My husband has threatened me and has threatened to "tell my son all about me" whatever that means. He's written horrible lies in court documents which always almost send me over the edge.

I have felt so defeated at times, but I just keep trudging along, hoping it will all work out in the end for my son and I. Not sure yet, what that will be.

Glad to have been able to gain some knowledge already from all of you and will be posting specific questions shortly (I've got many)!!!

Long road....

I am very sorry to read about your situation - sounds as though it has not been easy - there are many people on here with good and sound advice so I'm sure you will feel supported here. Welcome.

Comment

I can understand what you are going through; my divorce was very difficult due to my ex-husband doing pretty much the same thing! Although my intent is not to scare you but I do have some advice for you=) With past behavior, please be EXTRA vigilant when dealing with him and take every precaution necessary when doing so; due to his past violent/aggressive behavior, you can never be too overcautious! If you read the papers and watch the news you probably understand why I am saying this! Again, my intent here is not to scare you but to make sure that you watch over yourself and child when you have stated yourself that he has shown unruly behavior. Never hesitate to call the police when you feel threatened!

As for whatever he wants to tell your child about you... children are very bright and usually eventually figured things out by themselves when they are loved and raised in a nurturing environment.
      Looks like you are on the right path so hold your ground and keep on doing what you are doing and good luck!

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
      Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
      Working...
      X