Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is included for university expenses?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is included for university expenses?

My daughter just got accepted to university in Thunder Bay...we live in Trenton. Aside from the obvious, tuition, books and residence, what should I include in my court request to the ex?

Personal opinion only - you should not be including food/mealplan and daily transportation - those are things that you provide for your daughter out of regular CS - regardless of whether that child is at home or not. Similarly, your daughter should be receiving a clothing/entertainment/toiletries/etc. allowance from you out of your regular CS (assuming you are no longer personally doing the buying!).

The child is ideally (?) expected to contribute 1/3 of university costs (possibly via scholarship/bursary). So you would split the remaining 2/3 proportionally according to income.

Comment

Yes, thank you, how about travel back and forth a couple of times a year from Thunder Bay to Trenton?

Comment

I wouldn't think travel costs to visit home are part of education costs to be paid by the CS payor.

Comment

Thank you for your thoughts. I am to assume that the child support will be reduced or cut off when she goes to university and I am still to provide all mentioned below? Just trying to prepare.

Comment

nope. CS often continues until the child finishes 1 post-secondary program (4 more years). You can ask for a reduction, but your child will still need the money for food, clothing, housing etc. CS is to give your child all of those necessities.

If your ex is agreeable, you can give the money directly to your child. If you can work things out between you it can happen any way you agree to, just as long as you continue supporting the child.

Comment

Thanks, I am the CP parent and the ex is determined not to agree to anything! So just preparing my self for his harsh arguments.

Comment

Ow - how I remember the burden of buying books....

I think a laptop is a legitimate expense for University. I imagine it would be difficult to get by without one these days.

Comment

some classes actually require a laptop. It would really depend on the major. But a computer with relatively new software is a must.

There are often computer labs open very late (sometimes 24 hrs) but I wouldn't want my child there by herself. I wouldn't do it myself!

Comment

Thanks to all for your suggestions. I have completed the request and sent it in. I am making daughter responsible for buying her laptop as part of her contributions. Ex is already 5 months behind varied child support agreement, so anything I get from him comes from a battle

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                    Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                    Working...
                    X