Enforcing a supreme court order

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Enforcing a supreme court order

I have a court order that says I shall have full use of my property after a date long ago, I have 3 peoples names on the title/mortage of the home, one of them was given a court order that by a certain date I shall have full and exclusive use of the property after that date which has long passed. She claims she is on the title and she will be moving in and changing the locks on the inlaw suite downstairs, she claims to have every right to.

I emailed her the copy of the supreme court order and told her she is not welcome, she replyed too bad so sad things change I am moving in, She has no where else to live.....

When she shows up with a few big guys and amoving truck what should I do? Will the cops show up to a call like this if I phone them and tell them my situation? I do not want the situation to get out of control in front of the kids....can I phone the rcmp ahead of time and give them the court order ahead of time as well as what the woman is planning on doing...or just wait until she trys to violate the court order then phone the police? What would she get charged with?

I have a step daughter living with me that would let her in as she is getting lots of stuff bought for her from this woman....she has had the key as well to access her personal items, not sureif she made an extra copy...I am not sure if she is allowed in if she is let in by a household member....once she sneaks in I am sure it would be harder to have her removed....

Wondering if taking steps beforehand is of any good for this situation, or if its a waste of time.

wow what a situation. I am wondering if you can get a no trespass order against the person in question. Ask the police, that's your best bet and find out your rights before the shit hits the fan.

Tell your stepdaughter not to let the person in no matter what. I take it the person in question may be related to the stepdaughter so maybe puts SD in the middle?

Comment

Ya stepdaughter, mother inlaw, they were in fights to the point rcmp was called....now the grandmother is buying her back, 16 yrs old.....the woman is crazy...unfortunately, I am usually a nieve compassionate nice person, but this woman is evil. I do not want her around the kids 7 and 16 other than a quick visit once in a while...just cause she is crazy I do not feel its my decision to try and totally eliminate a relationship between them...The home with her name on it is her only attachment to any family she has unfortunatley she wont let me sell it easily....and her family has pretty much abandoned her....as she is a very evil...i don't usually say this about people and give people lots of chances but she is a malicious evil...ill get you, ill win in the end kindof person...all I want is a simple and peaceful life for my 7 year old and my 16 year old stepdaughter.

Simply, I don't want to start getting my 16 year old involved....she already thinks I am a bad guy now probably for telling her not to let her grammy in. I guess I shall phone the police and ask, I am sure they will tell me to phone a lawyer....$$$$$

Hopefully I can tell her she is not moving in and stand in front of the door, hopefully she doesnt try to make it look like I hurt her....must be something a guy can do other than hire security lol.

Comment

Have a witness present with a video recording going, at the very least.

Comment

Originally posted by Rioe View Post
          totally agree..sounds like it will be a shit storm when this goes down. But what does he do if she tries it when he isn't home?

Comment

Originally posted by Rioe View Post
            Ok hopefully the situation arises in such a manner that can happen, thx.

Comment

Do not open the door! Tell anyone residing in your home not to open the door. This will be a high conflict situation with traumatic consequences for all who are involved.

If she shows up call the police and give them a copy of your court order. If you have exclusive possession then the police will advise her to leave.

She will have to make alternate arrangements.

Comment

I am under the impression that an order for exclusive possession deals with one spouse's right to occupy and the other's denial of access to the mat home - it is an order that deals with the relationship between the two parties only.

If the inlaw is not specifically excluded in your order, then I would think she has the right to move in and occupy if she is a registered owner - particularly if she has no reasonable alternate accommodations available.

What steps would she take if you barred her access? Would she hire a lawyer?

eta: I will add, I also thought excl. possession orders were given on as interim remedy only, why the delay in selling the mat home and dividing the proceeds?
                Last edited by mcdreamy; 11-04-2014, 09:06 AM.
                Start a discussion, not a fire. Post with kindness.

Comment

Originally posted by mcdreamy View Post
                  I am under the impression that an order for exclusive possession deals with one spouse's right to occupy and the other's denial of access to the mat home - it is an order that deals with the relationship between the two parties only.
                  It is between the MIL and I, I am the father and primary caregiver of the children, their mother moved out, and the MIL moved out, then back in, and out again, now she wants back in. We were supposed to revisit the order 10 months ago, I have been trying hard to deal with her outside of court due to costs, she is very stubborn and wants to hold onto this house or get more back from it than she helped with in the beginning(long story)

If the inlaw is not specifically excluded in your order, then I would think she has the right to move in and occupy if she is a registered owner - particularly if she has no reasonable alternate accommodations available?

Her name is used in the order. She knew about this order before creating her situation to have no place to live.

What steps would she take if you barred her access? Would she hire a lawyer?

She would probably get a lawyer, maybe that would help speed things up selling the house..? Then she can spend the money going to court instead of me.

eta: I will add, I also thought excl. possession orders were given on as interim remedy only, why the delay in selling the mat home and dividing the proceeds?

The delay is her, She is a vengefull person who has to win in the end and have her way, I offered to hand over the house and the appliances and she said no, also maybe feels attached to the home as her guaranteed way to see the grandchildren as she does not get along with any of her own children, so I am presuming it is interim as it is supposed to be revisited, I guess I could take the order down to the court house and schedule a revisit without using a lawyer....?

I know the situation will probably have to go to supreme court, I just can not afford that right now, or for the last year or so, also because I wont give the mother inlaw what she is asking, and I did not aggressively pursue the revisit, and agree to the value of the home does that make me a bad guy in the courts view? Should I just hand my lawyer a 3000$ retainer and tell him I want the house put on the market asap, do what you have to? Part of the order was that the house be listed at her requested price on kijiji, and has been by me and I have maintained this ad(she was supposed to) I have asked to reduce the price many times, but she ignores or refuses. The only 3 responses I have gotten, none of them even consider a counter offer...price is way to high compared to other places around here that have much better quality build and features.

Comment

First, it is Superior Court of Ontario. The Supreme Court of Canada likely isn't going to be looking at this sort of stuff..

I would simply change the locks and look to get a restraining order to a peace bond. She can't keep coming and going in a place where she no longer resides.

If you have an order to exclusive possession, and her name is listed on the order, than the order applies to her as well. Should she attempt to re-enter the house, show the police the order with instructions to remove her.

Comment

Originally posted by HammerDad View Post
                      First, it is Superior Court of Ontario. The Supreme Court of Canada likely isn't going to be looking at this sort of stuff..

I would simply change the locks and look to get a restraining order to a peace bond. She can't keep coming and going in a place where she no longer resides.

If you have an order to exclusive possession, and her name is listed on the order, than the order applies to her as well. Should she attempt to re-enter the house, show the police the order with instructions to remove her.
                      Ok, it was stamped with supreme court of british columbia, ok I will go down to the court house and ask some people what I can do with that order in terms of what you suggested and revisiting it, maybe they will help me through it in a lawful orderly process with out the need for a lawyer this time, I know this is an ottawa forum and not a british columbia forum, but it is the best one I can find for help and infomation!

Comment

Originally posted by undersc0re View Post
                        Ok, it was stamped with supreme court of british columbia, ok I will go down to the court house and ask some people what I can do with that order in terms of what you suggested and revisiting it, maybe they will help me through it in a lawful orderly process with out the need for a lawyer this time, I know this is an ottawa forum and not a british columbia forum, but it is the best one I can find for help and infomation!
                        Ah gotcha. Normally when I see Supreme Court, it almost always is "of Canada". So I stand corrected.

Speak to someone at the court house, see what they can do.

Also, have you advised her, in writing, that she is not permitted in the house per the court order? That should she attempt to re-enter the house without another order providing her with permission, you will call the police to have her removed? You need to be upfront that she is persona non-Grata there and you will use all legal means at your disposal to ensure that they are not permitted to return.

Another thing you can do is turn that nanny suite into one bigass storage spot. If it isn't needed for your personal use (or that of the kids), I'd jam it so full of stuff that they couldn't get in the door. I am sure you have some family and friends that could stuff stored for them.

As for locks, don't just change the locks, put full on deadbolts in there. Ensure that all windows also have ways to be locked. May it virtually impossible for her to get in on her own without a locksmith. Post a copy of the court order in the front window as well.

Comment

Take HammerDad's advice for this current situation to do your best to keep her barred. I'm extremely curious as to the wording of your order - if the inlaw wasn't a party to the proceeding, how on earth can she be barred?

Prepare yourself for a final decision to be made on the mat home. If the 3 of you can't come to an agreement, a judge will. Obviously at least the inlaw needs her money out to move forward. Costs will be awarded against whatever party isn't acting reasonably.

Retain a lawyer? No - but definitely send an Offer to Settle on your terms, and be prepared to negotiate. You will not be permitted to stay in the mat home indefinitely. Move this forward.
                          Start a discussion, not a fire. Post with kindness.

Comment

Originally posted by mcdreamy View Post
                            Take HammerDad's advice for this current situation to do your best to keep her barred. I'm extremely curious as to the wording of your order - if the inlaw wasn't a party to the proceeding, how on earth can she be barred?

Prepare yourself for a final decision to be made on the mat home. If the 3 of you can't come to an agreement, a judge will. Obviously at least the inlaw needs her money out to move forward. Costs will be awarded against whatever party isn't acting reasonably.

Retain a lawyer? No - but definitely send an Offer to Settle on your terms, and be prepared to negotiate. You will not be permitted to stay in the mat home indefinitely. Move this forward.
                            Oh I have made reasonable offers, she has even accepted a chunk of money and included I had my lawyer draw up the seperation agreement with the ex along with the division of the home between those two....then last minute she refused to sign....I hate to assume the bad, but she knows I am a nice guy maybe quite nieve and is walking all over me, she won't get a lot from the home and is having fun playing games.....there is a lot to this situation and this woman I could go on for days.....I believe the judge would find me very reasonable, other than I show no care for rushing to revisit the last order that should have been revisited by jan31(for sale of the home).

The mediation was just me my lawyer the mediator and the mother inlaw, the stbx did not show....she never showed up to 2 family court precedings for my primary care and control motions. So it was a mediation about the home being sold and how much and in what manner to sell it....she was supposed to advertise it....she did not do that in the specified time, so I went ahead and did it....and have maintained it since...she was to store her stuff in a room inside and the rest in the garage....and then let me have entire and full use of the property after nov-2013 save and except with respect to the MIL's personal property which I will not interfere with, she has to give me 24 hrs notice to come and get it....I told her she can not move back in, I did not say she can't get her stuff etc...

She says she is gonna take me to court, so I guess I can counter and ask for legal costs as well...

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                            Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                            Working...
                            X