Claiming medical expenses - not primary parent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Claiming medical expenses - not primary parent

Hello, sorry I've searched and read the CRA's pages but I'm just not sure.

I know that section 7 expenses are supposed to be "net cost" but my ex wife will flip if I deduct the medical expense tax credit from the total cost.

Son 1 needs braces
    Cost 7000
    My insurance covers 2000
    Remaining 5000 - can I pay my portion of this directly to dentist and claim on my taxes as a medical expense?

I have joint custody of my son but rarely see him due to parental alienation. I don't claim him in any way on taxes, haven't for years.

Ex and I have never figured out net cost of section 7 before, but hasn't been a big deal until these braces.
    Thanks.

She can flip out all she wants. If she claims him as an eligible dependent then she gets the tax break. Figure out what the tax amount is via a dummy tax return with her details and then subtract it. Direct her to the federal child support guidelines section 7 expenses and then put her on ignore.

Its probably only going to be about $200 deduction anyway and if shes willing to spend thousands to fight you, you have bigger problems.

Comment

do it the right way, pay only your proportionate share, get the receipts, claim your taxes. Keep in mind most brace providers offer monthly re-payment plans.

Comment

Originally posted by slimgym View Post
        I know that section 7 expenses are supposed to be "net cost" but my ex wife will flip if I deduct the medical expense tax credit from the total cost.
        I don't get the problem here.

She flips out, if you are lucky she brings you to court and loses horribly. She pays for her lawyer, she pays a chunk of your lawyer... and you never get bullied by her again.

Figure out the net cost, pay the proportionate share. If she complains, tell her that you have, after receiving legal advice, paid the proportionate share of the net cost which is an appropriate amount. Don't get into an argument with her. Don't elaborate. Don't justify yourself. Quick short note, that is all.

She can, to use a phrase that used to be on this forum but has sadly disappeared, go pound sand.

Comment

Originally posted by Janus View Post
          I don't get the problem here.

She flips out, if you are lucky she brings you to court and loses horribly. She pays for her lawyer, she pays a chunk of your lawyer... and you never get bullied by her again.

Figure out the net cost, pay the proportionate share. If she complains, tell her that you have, after receiving legal advice, paid the proportionate share of the net cost which is an appropriate amount. Don't get into an argument with her. Don't elaborate. Don't justify yourself. Quick short note, that is all.

She can, to use a phrase that used to be on this forum but has sadly disappeared, go pound sand.
          Solid advise. Also mention that you're not agreeing to anything else you guys discuss and agree.

I ran into the same issue and continued to be harassed for an unreasonable position. I just ignore ignore and ignore. If she brings it up again in person in a bitter tone just say we can discuss at a later time. You're under no obligation to commit to anything she asks for without sound legal advice, unless you know exactly what you're doing.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
          Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
          Working...
          X