Documents Retention?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Documents Retention?

I was divorced in 2006 and the Court ordered all spousal support to end in 2014. I have no longer have any legal connection or obligations to my former spouse. Of course I have a couple of bankers boxes of court documents. Does anyone know whether there is a statutory requirement or even best practice advice for how long those records should be retained before they can be discarded?

To be safe... Burn em at the 7 year mark. (Best practice.) You can burn them now as it was done in 2006.

Comment

I would put them in a corner of your basement storage and let them sit there. Unless you are pressed for space, my policy is better safe than sorry.

Comment

If you have used a lawyer you can check with them. Often law firms have an off-site storage facility and that is where they end up.

I am now representing myself. I am ever-so-glad that I kept my plastic storage bins of information (I did pare-down everything a few years ago) as I have unfortunately had to fetch some documents over the past few years. I am now residing in a different province. You do not know where you future will take you.

If you are really averse to keeping old paper documents, consider purchasing a ScanSnap or something like that and scan and store - very quick process.

Comment

Thanks for the advice. I kept the docs from 3 years ago where the court ordered all obligations terminated. The original divorce docs from 2006 I destroyed.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
          Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
          Working...
          X