This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• letter

Quick question.. 20 years ago my mother had a lawyer write a letter stating the 20,000 used to purchase my house was a gift. The letter was for my protection and would insure the money be returned to me when the marriage disolved.
    The laws are different now and as you know I have to split the money with the ex. Is there anything I or my mother can do??
    Thank you.

answer

I know the answer to my question.

Soon I will be homeless, penniles, worst of all I have let my family down. How can I tell my son and daughter their father is EVIL. Unfortunately they have a good idea already!

No response needed...just venting again.

Comment

hi sunday I noticed that noone has responsded yet(but they will) and I'm going to tell you what I THINK is the situation--don't feel elated or deflated by my opinion because I could be totally wrong.
      I would think that it would be included in the matrimonial assests and therefore divided equally. Whether or not it was given to you as a gift you and your ex had a union and everything from that union is to be divided equally.
      It may depend on the judge and how he views your ex's situation and he may even look at your mother's financial situation. Depends. Iwish I could give you a more solid legal answer but I just wanted to acknowledge your post.
      Bye for now

Comment

In simple terms divorce hurts, both financially and emotionally, but you're not dead, you're only wasting time thinking about or rehashing the past because there's no way anything that happened yesterday or the day before can be changed, so quickly pick up the pieces, and get on with your life! Easier said than done, I know, but I have great faith in you, Sunday.

Comment

Thanks

Thank You Grace and God Knows The Truth!!

Comment

your're welcome ... and have a great day

Comment

I was under the impression that 'gifts' were NOT part of the assest that could be divided. Jeff, Linday or LV can probably confirm this.

Wow, when I looked at EVIL, I saw LIVE spelt backwards. Guess it all depends on your view.

Sunday, your spouses actions/behaviors may be evil, there is still good in them. Sort of like when Luke Skywalker said about Darth Vadar ... "I sense good in him"

One thing I have learned is that your view of peoples behaviors/actions can at times bring about the very behavior/actions you fear. IE - He is such and EVIL person. Chances are, the person will pick up what you're thinking and manifest into the action/behavior which you fear ...

So, where is all my rambling leading? In simple terms, you in a great way have some control on your future. Yep, envision and choose carefully your words ... for they can shape your future.

Remember, In the BEGINNING was what? Yeah, the all mighty WORD!

Sunday, you'll come out of this aLIVE (Evil spelt backwards is Live)

Hubby

Comment

From the research I've found, this can be determined by the lawyers/judges basically using two ways: (1) length of time you've been in the marriage; (2) what the "gift" was used for. I guess it all boils down to how the other people involved (legally) see the money.

Hope you get good news!

Comment

Thanks Ladyluck...I guess what bothers me the most is my ex brought absolutely nothing to the marriage...not even a fork. Throughout the marriage it was him taking and me giving. ( stupid of me to except this ). He has an aggressive lawyer who is rude and intimidating. My ex will benefit greatly due to MY accomplishments! I don't want to sound like a suck or a hero. I just want my ex to be truthful...even a tiny bit would be nice.
                  Before I ended my marriage I gave my ex every opportunity ( for us ) to try and heal our marriage. I was willing to forgive him ( again ) for the pain. I wanted to go for counceling. Talk with a minister...what ever it would take. His answer was always no.
                  Oh well...I know the best thing I ever did in my life was leaving my sick
                  marriage!
                  Sometimes I regret submiting my posts. I should maybe keep my thoughts to myself instead of using this forum as my diary.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                  Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                  Working...
                  X