This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Travel Consent form missing child's address

NCP will be travelling outside Canada with young child. The travel consent form provided by CP omits the child's address (the only contact info is the CP's phone). CP has moved (without informing NCP), so the address on the child's passport is no longer valid. Apparently CP does not want NCP to know the new address, even though there have been no incidences of NCP harassing CP - NCP has never even visited CP's old address.

Any thoughts on
    1) Is the missing/wrong address likely to cause any travel problems i.e. how important is it to include this info on the form?
    2) Is CP required to inform NCP of where child is living?

Thanks!

1. it may

2. I would think that is a given, Unless there is a valid reason like harassment (not the case here) then the NCP has every right to know where their child lives.

Comment

I probably just missed it, but where on the passport is the persons address, I see date of birth and everything else, did I miss that?

Comment

Addresses are not listed on actual passports. You need to provide your address on the passport application so that Canada Customs has it on file, but they do not print it in your passport.

The child's address should be the address of the child's primary residence.

On a consent to travel, there should be an address provided to where you will be travelling. If you will be travelling to various locations, the address of the location where you intent to stay first (or mainly) should be listed. Otherwise, an itinerary of where you will be with the child and when should be provided, along with telephone numbers in case of emergency.

Anyhow, regarding your situation... are you applying for renewal of the child's passport? If so, it needs to be signed by both parents and all the information needs to be filled out. Therefore, the custodial parent must provide the address of the child's primary residence. If she refuses... (and you have it documented - letter or email) then I assume you can go ahead and put your address. Either way, that is also your child's address, right? :-)

Comment

Thanks all for your responses so far - nice to get some confirmation of what a sane world expects!

The consent form does include the itinerary and contact info for the NCP+child during the trip. No worries there.

Regarding bearer's address on the passport - this is handwritten into a prescribed section, where there are instructions to 'amend as needed'. So I'll also pursue getting that amended by CP when the passport is handed over for the trip.

There is no need for renewing passport yet. An interesting side issue is that the CP obtained this passport without consent of the NCP by omitting the NCP info on the application form - which is technically a criminal offence. The same omission was made on the child's birth certificate (that has now been remedied). At what point do you start worrying that there is any intent for abduction or denial of access?

Comment

Originally posted by dinkyface View Post
            ...At what point do you start worrying that there is any intent for abduction or denial of access?
            By not putting your information on the forms, and not providing you with the childs address, they already think of the child as 'theirs', and would not hesitate to deny access if it suited them, and in a sense they have already started.

Comment

Originally posted by dinkyface View Post
              An interesting side issue is that the CP obtained this passport without consent of the NCP by omitting the NCP info on the application form - which is technically a criminal offence. The same omission was made on the child's birth certificate (that has now been remedied). At what point do you start worrying that there is any intent for abduction or denial of access?
              My understanding is that while the mother's name must appear on the birth certificate the father's name does not have to. She could not have 'filled in' your information with out you being there to sign it. Could she have asked you to sign it?-it sounds like you absolutely wanted to and that is understandable! But she was not required by the current regulations to do so.

And if you didn't sign the birth certificate, then Passport Canada does not require your signature for her to get the child a passport...yes it is kind of a sneaky thing that she did, but are you sure it is a criminal offence?

Comment

Billm - agreed. The very consistent pattern so far is that CP obstructs and delays wherever possible until forced (by court order, or parenting coordinator) to behave otherwise. Luckily normal scheduled access is working OK (despite verbal threats otherwise).

Comment

Daba - Omitting information on an appplication for the purposes of obtaining a passport is a criminal offense. It states this on the passport appplication. The fact that the information was not on the birth certificate does not mean the other parent is unknown, it just means that you can probably get away with stating that. At the time of application, NCP was paying voluntary support, and had served court papers to initiate gaining access to the child. So it is unlikely that the CP could argue that the other parent was truly unknown (oh heck, who am I kidding, it's pretty clear who CP and NCP are, huh!)

At this point, both parents have agreed the child should have a passport, so it is water under the bridge (aside from concerns it raises about CP's intentions)

Comment

'Are there any separation agreements, court orders or legal procedings pertaining to custody or mobility of, or access to the child?- I guess she checked 'no' to that statement on the form and that would be giving false information, but your previous post did not make it clear that you had started legal action. Look, I don't know what your situation was nor am I trying to defend this woman's actions.

Comment

Omission and providing false information are both covered in this criminal code (section 57). So it looks like she messed up both ways, huh.

No worries, daba, you asked, I answered. My writing is a bit terse, but I have no interest or intention in getting all fussed on a "support" forum.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                      Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                      Working...
                      X