Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not paying the legal fees

Hello all,
    I am in a situation where I am being charged for rework due to my Lawyers mistakes and lack of clarity in responses. i request a phone call I get 50 emails. I have been told . Lawyer is very busy.
    Financial statement rework for lack of clarity on what information needs to get filled and then I have been told "i am not an accountant"
    Lawyer is not paying attention to the details to the paper that I have been asked to sign and then blaming me for not reviewing it properly. Lawyers hour is 350 plus.

How do I go about disputing the charges? I have been asked for further retainers and paying overdue account.
    What are my options. Settlement meeting to resolve all issues scheduled for end of this month.
    Please advice.
    Thanks

Originally posted by abuseddad View Post
    I am in a situation where I am being charged for rework due to my Lawyers mistakes and lack of clarity in responses.
    Have you ever considered that YOU may actually be the PROBLEM in the relationship with your lawyer. Lawyers take instructions from their clients. They advise... Ultimately the file is YOUR responsibility.

i request a phone call I get 50 emails. I have been told . Lawyer is very busy.
    Generally, they have more than just your file. I suspect you are a highly anxious client that needs constant attention and contact. That gets expensive and can impact a lawyer's entire practice when they have a client like you. What you deem to be a personal crisis (emergency) is probably not.

[QUOTE=abuseddad;211406]Financial statement rework for lack of clarity on what information needs to get filled and then I have been told "i am not an accountant".[/.quote]

Well, the lawyer is correct. They are not. You should have had an accountant do your Form 13.x. It is cheaper and more accurate.

Lawyer is not paying attention to the details to the paper that I have been asked to sign and then blaming me for not reviewing it properly. Lawyers hour is 350 plus.
    Well, ultimately, they are only advising you. You have to ask questions and if you don't agree with (or understand something) ask!

FYI: 350 is a low rate. Laywers I recommend to people charge 550-800 an hour.

How do I go about disputing the charges? I have been asked for further retainers and paying overdue account.
    Don't you have enough conflict and complication in your life? A great way to have a lawyer pull themselves from a file and file a change in representation is to complain about them. It gives them an easy out and the other party a nice paper saying you are "very high conflict"... So high conflict that you can't even work with people you hire to HELP you. Lawyers love when the other party's lawyer suddenly quits. It signals to the judge who the real problem is.

What are my options. Settlement meeting to resolve all issues scheduled for end of this month.
    Please advise.
    Thanks
    1. Stop fighting with everyone.
    2. Compromise on things that are irrelevant.
    3. Stop playing the role of a victim (abused dad).
    4. Pull up your socks.
    5. Settle the matter at the conference by being reasonable.
    6. Stop creating unnecessary conflict in your life.
    7. Seek counselling.

Good Luck!
    Tayken

Comment

When I being reasonable and the other party is in it for maximum gain over kids welfare and a lawyer that is bending over to the other party's request , it seems to be a new definition of justice. I am not a victim, but that I need to give up a lot for the satisfaction and freedom of the other party

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
      Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
      Working...
      X