This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Method of support payments

Does anyone have experience with support payments when the ex-spouse has moved outside Canada? My intention is to mail post dated cheques to Europe - is this an acceptable method of payment?

Grateful for any isight.

Ask them

What does the ex say? Have you asked them?

Comment

Originally posted by billm View Post
      What does the ex say? Have you asked them?
      The ex has plenty to say - she's insisting on electronic transfers however I don't agree I should have to pay transfer fees when post dated cheques are a cost free option. She doesn't feel she should have to pay transfer fees. I guess I'm trying to determine what the courts would say. Court order is in Canada and payments are Canadian currency, cheques are an accepted form of payment in Canada but useless overseas. How she converts the funds, in my opinion, is her issue.

Comment

Then why not each pay half the fee? You aren't paying the full amount and neither is she, nor is she having a problem trying to get the funds. If you are talking about spousal support, then I can see why the bickering... but if it's about child support, then shame on you for for your last sentence

Originally posted by radar View Post
        How she converts the funds, in my opinion, is her issue.

Comment

[QUOTE=radar;16537]she's insisting on electronic transfers however I don't agree I should have to pay transfer fees when post dated cheques are a cost free option. She doesn't feel she should have to pay transfer fees. /QUOTE]

Be careful about litigating this issue, you might trip over lots of dollars (legal fees) to pick up pennies (transfer fees).

Comment

Most of the major banks on the interac network allows for an email transfer of funds. Very little costs are associated with this type of transfer and it is instant upon receiving the email. Because they are or will be located overseas, I suspect they would still have access to the internet.

Comment

A good friend of ours is in this situation. He lives in Ontario and his former spouse lives in the US. He opened a bank account here in Ontario and deposits his monthly support payments (actually has it as a payroll deduction) and his former spouse goes to her local bank with the client card (he either mailed it to her or gave it to her in person during one of their scheduled child's vacation visits) and takes the funds out. It's worked out great for both of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger_Mallow View Post
                A good friend of ours is in this situation. He lives in Ontario and his former spouse lives in the US. He opened a bank account here in Ontario and deposits his monthly support payments (actually has it as a payroll deduction) and his former spouse goes to her local bank with the client card (he either mailed it to her or gave it to her in person during one of their scheduled child's vacation visits) and takes the funds out. It's worked out great for both of them.

Power of Interac. It sees very little of the International boundaries especially in the U.S.A.

Another option is a debit mastercard which is more universal and funds on transferred to account.

Comment

Originally posted by logicalvelocity View Post
                  Most of the major banks on the interac network allows for an email transfer of funds. Very little costs are associated with this type of transfer and it is instant upon receiving the email. Because they are or will be located overseas, I suspect they would still have access to the internet.
                  I was using emails to transfer the funds however my daily limit is $1000 and I owe slightly more than that per month. That would mean 2 transactions at the beginning of every month which not only doubles the transfers fees but more importantly is a major pain in the butt.

Comment

Are you able to find out from your bank about raising the limit to what you need to transfer? Perhaps if you explain the reasoning & the cost involved, they will make the necessary change since you're their customer.

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewsKim View Post
                      Are you able to find out from your bank about raising the limit to what you need to transfer? Perhaps if you explain the reasoning & the cost involved, they will make the necessary change since you're their customer.
                      Good point, I'll explore that with the bank. Thanks.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                      Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                      Working...
                      X