This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Exquizique View Post
    If you are simply the "third-wheeled dude not actually related to anyone" with "as much say in things as a can of beer", then why so much anger and disdain towards your gf's ex?

Let your gf and her ex sort out whatever issues they have between themselves. If they can't (which seems to be the case), then the court will have to sort it out for them.
    Because of the fucking money this is costing us. What a joke of a board.

Comment

Dissenting opinions are nit cause for insults.
      We've all been through the ringer, and know our shit.
      Feel free to leave, chump.

Comment

Originally posted by Motorhead168 View Post
        So two calls to two different people at Immigration over a month apart, and they're both wrong on this? The only reason she called again this morning is because of what I've been reading on this board. They clearly said, again, that she does not need his consent to travel to the U.S. as long as her son has a passport and she has all the court documents saying she has sole custody. If it was some other country, yes, but to the United States, no.
        This entire board is beginning to look more and more like disgruntled dads vs disgruntled moms.
        It's probably waste of my time but lets try anyway... You can of cause try to do it and probably even being successful if you get lucky with officer at the border but:

Travelling with children

All children and babies who travel need their own passport.

Before the child travels, make sure you know the requirements and precautions for travelling with children or for when a child is travelling alone. Extra documentation may be required, such as a birth certificate showing the names of the child's legal parent(s); any legal documents pertaining to custody; a death certificate if one of the parents is deceased; a status document from Citizenship and Immigration Canada; and/or a parental consent letter.

We recommend that you contact the embassy or consulate of all countries the child will be visiting to inquire about entry requirements.

Learn more about children and travel.

Comment

Nice call, genius, but you have absolutely no idea the garbage those two manipulating clowns have put us through over the past three years, so you can piss off.
          To WorkingDad's defence... I offer this cogent evidence to that YES he does know, more than anyone on this message board in fact, what the garbage a "manipulating clown" can put someone through:

CanLII - 2011 ONSC 6451 (CanLII)
          CanLII - 2011 ONSC 7476 (CanLII)

Not only does he know what they can do, he can litigate the matter self represented.

Good Luck!
          Tayken

Comment

Originally posted by Motorizer View Post
            Dissenting opinions are nit cause for insults.
            We've all been through the ringer, and know our shit.
            Feel free to leave, chump.
            Dissenting opinions resulting in insults is usually the tell-tail sign of a person motivated by conflict and not the resolution of problems.

Good Luck!
            Tayken

Comment

I couldn't agree more, but as mentioned, I'm just the third-wheeled dude not actually related to anyone so I have about as much say in things as a can of beer.
              One thing we found out today is that she doesn't need his permission or consent to take their son to the U.S. A quick call to Canadian Immigration confirmed this today.
              He can kiss our collective ass on this from now on.
              The problem is that you are talking to IMMIGRATION. i.e. the people who restrict people/things coming INTO Canada. Canada does not have EXIT controls at its borders. Hence the absurdity of having consent letters checked when attempting to reenter Canada (yes, this is my experience).

Possibly you may want to talk to the US Border control.

Comment

Originally posted by dinkyface View Post
                The problem is that you are talking to IMMIGRATION. i.e. the people who restrict people/things coming INTO Canada. Canada does not have EXIT controls at its borders. Hence the absurdity of having consent letters checked when arriving back in Canada (yes, this is my experience).

Possibly you may want to talk to the US Border control.
                Excellent point dinkyface. There is currently no exit conditions for leaving Canada with the United States. They are supposed to check for this information but, it is not their responsibility.

You can register your Canadian order with the US Boarder services for the children. This will cause a pop in the system should they go over to notify the agent to ask for the information. But, if not told they do not know it is required generally.

There is no official process and you have to write directly to the US Embassy I think and attach your order and reference the location it was served. Best to provide a real sealed copy that you get form the court house to do this too.

Better controls should be in place but, there is a lot of trust at the CND US boarder. Pre-screening would cause a nightmare for the billions of dollars in goods and services crossing the boarder. Basically, it is my understanding that exit checking doesn't happen because it would screw up the economy in some way.

Good Luck!
                Tayken

Comment

Because of the fucking money this is costing us. What a joke of a board.
                  you wrote in your first post that you and your gf do not live together so why is this costing YOU money??? Let the parents take care of it between themselves.

Comment

Nope: I am thoroughly gruntled, thanks, as are several of the other learned members here.

Cheers!

Gary

Comment

Originally posted by standing on the sidelines View Post
                      you wrote in your first post that you and your gf do not live together so why is this costing YOU money??? Let the parents take care of it between themselves.
                      It'll be six years in May since her and I started riding the hobby horse. Shall I just sit on the sidelines and let her pay 100% of the cost of fighting her loser ex in court?

Comment

Anyway, while I appreciate everyone's opinion, you really don't know the situation and yes, I know I'm to blame for coming here with it in the first place and expecting a bunch of pissed off ex's (male and female) to be of any sort of help.
                        With that said, Hawaii Five-O is on in 15 mins.
                        Ciao.

Comment

One last thing: I called Immigration today after work and got the number for border services. I called them but of course the office was closed. I'll be calling first thing in the morning and find out once and for all if she needs his consent to travel to the US this summer. If she does she'll take it to court and get it but I would love it if she could shove this down his throat. Matter of fact, she will anyway
                          Seriously, she's called Immigration twice, once this morning, once in January, and both times they said she doesn't need his consent if she's only taking him to the United States as long as she has his passport and court documents proving that she has sole custody and it's not on "his" time with his son.
                          But, Dano awaits...

Comment

Yes, you need a consent to travel document, unless you have a court order dispensing with the need for it. Been there, done that. The EX could very well call US Border services, have the kids flagged in the system, and then totally screw your vacation. (since you tried to end run around the law and not get the proper documentation) Totally legit and above board, and he's well within his rights to do so.

I went one level deeper on the link you were already given. The below is from Passport Canada:

Documentation
                            Persons under 18 years of age are considered children and need appropriate documentation to travel abroad. The following is a list of documents that may be required:

Canadian passport

Consent letter confirming that the child has permission to travel abroad (e.g. when taking a trip alone or with only one parent).

Supporting identification, such as a birth certificate or citizenship card.

Other legal documents, such as divorce papers, custody court orders or a death certificate (if one parent is deceased).

Two Additional Resources:

Child Travel Consent Form - Canada :: Canadian Legal Forms

"A Child Travel Consent Form is required where a minor child under the age of 18 is traveling internationally without both parents present."

How to get a Travel Consent Form A single parent travelling with a child under 18 MUST have a notarized Travel Consent Form from CanLaw Information and Assistance for Canadians Planning to Travel with minor children

Who Needs a Travel Consent Form?
                            When a minor child is travelling without both parents a Travel Consent form will be required by the airlines and customs and immigration officials.

I'm probably wasting my breath here...since anytime someone gives you info you don't agree with you get all snarky and high conflict and stuff. In any event, I'm the furthest thing from disgruntled. Go read my posts dude, I have MY kids over 80% of the time, due largely to my ex trying to pull the same kind of crap your girlfriend is. She tried, she failed, she got destroyed in court.

My advice: Drop the bullshit, take the high road and stay child focused. Noone cares if he hasn't paid his support in full, he isn't in arrears that much. It's a tiny tiny amount compared to the norm the system typically sees, and you'll look foolish for bringing it up.

If he asks for the extra 5 days, and you say no, you need to have a DAMN good reason for doing so. So far you haven't listed any. If the ex grows a brain, or finds a semi competent lawyer, you're going to get wrecked in court.

With that, I'm done here until your attitude adjusts.

/popcorn

Comment

It'll be six years in May since her and I started riding the hobby horse. Shall I just sit on the sidelines and let her pay 100% of the cost of fighting her loser ex in court?
                              you have been together 6 years and are not living together or anything??

Yes you should let her pay the 100%. Her ex, her problem. He could not have been a loser all the time considering she had a kid with him.

You come off as the type who doesnt want an ex in the picture no matter what. Wonder how soon the child becomes an issue. You are trying to ramp up the conflict between them and seem to love doing it doesnt matter if the child gets hurt or anything, just make sure to stick it to the ex as much as possible because that is all its about itsnt it??

Once again you need to step back and let the PARENTS deal with the issues. Notice your gf is not on here asking questions.

Comment

I called Canadian Border Services this morning and the guy I talked to said that she DOES NOT need dear old dads consent to travel to the United States IF she has sole custody, which she does.
                                So much for all the uninformed replies from know-it-alls who think they're aware of whats what, here and on other sites.
                                I just felt the need to come here and brag about this. One less bullshit problem to have to deal with.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                                Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                                Working...
                                X