X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custody Schedule HELP!

Hello,

Quick background, Married for about 1.5 years. Seperated in Aug 08 when our son turned 1.

We have shared/joint custody and he spends 50% of the time with each of us. However, the schedule has been Friday to Friday with 1 day out of the week spent with the other parent. (ie, I got him last friday, she'll take him for 1 night (say monday night), then go back to her next friday).

We did this as he was 1 year old and we didn't want him going a whole week without seeing the other parent.

NOW though, he's about to be 2 years old, we've both moved, and the schedule isn't as effective as before.

I am wondering how others have implemented custody schedules for young children.

Basically, I would prefer to go to a full week on, full week off. But I know ex will be resistant to that.

Are there any factors/studies to show that this could be harmful to our son's development?

I'd like to be able to propose the change in schedule, but know I'll end up dealing with lawyers to sort it out (just the way she is). I'd like to know if others have any suggestions on shared custody schedules for a young child.

Thank you!!!!

Frequent contact with both parents is a paramount consideration. However, since both parents moved, it might not be in the child's best interest to shift between households if there is any geographic distance involved which may create complications when your child begins some sort of school.

Joint Custody could still prevail, but your parenting plan will have to change as the child's needs and best interest's change. Your child's best interest is a present future consideration rather than a status quo consideration.

lv

Comment

How much distance is between the two households?

Friends of mine switch every couple of days. They live within a 10min drive of each other. Their kids are 5,7. They easily adjust their schedule if one parent has a family function on the other parents parenting time.

It also might be a good idea to start thinking about once the child reaches school age and what kind of arrangements need to be in place than.

mominont

Comment

With my child, I did it as follows: every second Friday through to Monday morning with me, and overnight on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Mother has Mondays and Wednesday nights. This works out to an equal share. It worked out wonderfully for my son.

Comment

Originally posted by mominont View Post
          How much distance is between the two households?

Friends of mine switch every couple of days. They live within a 10min drive of each other. Their kids are 5,7. They easily adjust their schedule if one parent has a family function on the other parents parenting time.

It also might be a good idea to start thinking about once the child reaches school age and what kind of arrangements need to be in place than.

mominont
          Originally posted by Beaudoin View Post
          With my child, I did it as follows: every second Friday through to Monday morning with me, and overnight on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Mother has Mondays and Wednesday nights. This works out to an equal share. It worked out wonderfully for my son.
          Its awesome to hear whereby parents work together to the benefit of the child/children.

lv

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
          Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
          Working...
          X