This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Child Support Reporting System

I would like to pose a question here and see how our members feel on this issue. I would like to limit this to one point at a time as there really are many issues at stake which we realise.
    First I dont want to make this an issue of entitlement, we all want to do the best for our children that we can. No debate needed there. I feel where the issue lies is, We feel that a child can be entitled to support after the age of 18 (ie if they are in school) and there needs to be a limit to that is well.

So my first queston is: Do you feel that once a child reaches the age of 18 that they are capable of reporting and proving need of continued support after the age of 18?
    One avenue to do so might be that the child would send in to FRO thier school transcript and registration for the next semester (say in June/July). If accepted would grant entitlement until the next school year ends.

This may have to be finessed but, What I would like to see accomplished in a practice like this is to end the he said she said scenarios that currently exist. I feel at that age it is a matter that the child could handle. They are capable of sorting out thier Dr Lic and age of majority etc as needed, why not this. Let me know what you think and as always comment is welcome too.
    Yes, they would be capable.
    0%
    No, they are not capable.
    0%
    Undecided
    0%

The poll is expired.

Since parent is the recipient of the payments, I think it makes most sense for the parent be reponsible for the reporting - regardless of whether the child is capable or not. I guess the parent could delegate the reporting to the child if they wanted, but in the end, it should be the parent's responsibility.

Comment

I have lived through for the past 7 years and have just heard too many stories of how one parent is not doing the honourable thing by being honest. Too many cases are dragged through the mill for years. I see this as a means that it would eliminate this kind of he said she said arguement. It would be great if it happens in an ideal world but unfortunately is not.

Constitution1

Comment

First off the FRO is not a solution unless you have to squeeze the money from someone. More times than not they become part of the problem by enraging an already volitile situation. << and they don't care.

In my case my daughter just finished a three year graphic arts program at college, except she missed out on 2 credits in the first year. Instead of making up these credits she has decided to completely change studies, go to a college out of town to take a completely new course. Her first excuse was that there were no jobs in this field available and when I proved that this wasn't the case the excuse changed to I've lost interest in it.... Only to find out the sudden change was because her boyfriend was doing the same.
        Upon voicing my displeasure of her sudden career change she told me right where to get off the boat. And that I had to LEGALLY pay for her because she did not receive her first diploma or degree. << sounds like the Ex has been coaching someone...
        Now I've got to spend a few thousand dollars to remove my 21 yr old from my wallet. She thinks I'm just cheep, but the reality is that I have 4 other kids to think about not to mention I would someday like to retire!

So YES there should be a cut off written in stone. And no I don't believe childern of divorce should be entitled to a free education on the backs of their parents because childern of un-broken homes are not. You as a divorced parent should be able to sit back and say wait a minute, my kid barely passed high school, constantly gets into trouble...etc so maybe I don't want to pay for them to go to college and party out their brains for the next 3 or 4 years. Thus the Adult Student should be totally accountable to both paying parents.

Comment

Wow I guess some have not really read what I said. Tried to make the point in it about the arguement you are complaining about. How one parent prolongs this, how a parent can easily manipulate the system so that support continues well beyond. Oh well guess it has been lost. Maybe might be better to just give this a few days and just take the poll down.

Comment

Sorry for the vent, but your quite right one parent can manipulate and prolong payments. Like I said my daughter was being coached on how to extend the gravy train.

As for my comment about the FRO, it was made in response to your suggestion that maybe they be the judge to determine if support should continue.

"So my first queston is: Do you feel that once a child reaches the age of 18 that they are capable of reporting and proving need of continued support after the age of 18?"

My Answer: The recipient of the payment should provide the proof. As in my case the recipient is my EX, she is handling all the finances for my daughter, therefore the onus is on her to keep me informed. If the payment went directly to my child then I would expect the same from her.

Comment

Thanks to all who have voted and those that will. My goal in all of this is to find out what is needed and wanted by Canadians when it comes to such issues. I think it goes with out saying that there needs to be reform in Family Law and with agencies such as FRO. Well now is the time to make that known and we will be carrying this forward in the courts etc until there is change. So hope to hear from you as it does matter very much to us.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
              Working...
              X