Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does a college education factor in for assets ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does a college education factor in for assets ?

So we were common law 9 yrs - 2 young kids.

She went to college for 1 year & earned a degree.

Splitting up - is this degree considered a tangible asset - ie does it have monetary value towards the relationship ??

I know the judge will take this degree into consideration when assessing her ability to find a good paying job - ie spousal support.

But my question is - does here degree have any value when considering the net asset value acquired when together ??

Are you serious with this question?

No it is not an asset.

Comment

Yea... no... especially with common law... the debt could be considered but seeing as your common law I even doubt that.

A 9 year relationship is considered short and SS would be slim to none. I also haven’t heard of earning a degree in 1 year... a certificate sure, diploma maybe but usually degrees are a couple years

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

A degree in 1 year (what was it ....a mail-order one?)

A 4-year degree from a recognized university, followed up with a graduate program, is one thing but a cookie-cutter welfare-works-type thing is irrelevant IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by stevem View Post
          So we were common law 9 yrs - 2 young kids.

She went to college for 1 year & earned a degree.

Splitting up - is this degree considered a tangible asset - ie does it have monetary value towards the relationship ??

I know the judge will take this degree into consideration when assessing her ability to find a good paying job - ie spousal support.

But my question is - does here degree have any value when considering the net asset value acquired when together ??
          No.No.No.No

(Had to do that because the forum requires 10 characters and No. is only 3 characters.)

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
          Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
          Working...
          X