Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Change of school

Hello,

Looking for some advice in regards to a change in school.
    Child is in a 50/50 joint custody arrangement, she attends a French School in the fathers school zone.
    I currently live approx. 30km away from the school and have been driving her in on my week.. I had made the decision to move into the area to be closer and have started the process to do so. The father decided in Nov of last year to move approx. 40km out of her current school zone. I made it clear to him that his decision to move cannot impact her school, and he agreed via e mail.
    Now he is fighting to move her to his school zone and change her to an English school because he claims he cannot help her on his week, even though his new spouse is French and she is enrolled in after school homework help.. I will be moving into the area of her school, but not the immediate zone of that particular school. I have talked to the principle and they said if I can enroll her in an after school care program in that area there is no problem for her to remain at her current school, my house would only be approx. 5 min drive away once it's built, but my ex keeps fighting with me saying its too far for him now, all of a sudden it's too hard to keep her in French .. I know it's all really because he doesn't want to drive the 40k on his week to bring her to school and I don' think she should have to change schools because he decided to move far away. She's happy in her school and she has been in a French program for 5 years now.. If she goes to a French immersion school I'm afraid she will fall behind and I don't think it's what's best for her considering she has always been in French... Moving her schools and changing to immersion wont be an easy transition.. We have no signed agreement, but have been working off an agreement that states she is to go to a French school and a school in that particular area, it also says that any change is school must be agreed by both of us.

What do you think the courts will decide?

Originally posted by lemontree View Post
    Hello,

Looking for some advice in regards to a change in school.
    Child is in a 50/50 joint custody arrangement, she attends a French School in the fathers school zone.
    I currently live approx. 30km away from the school and have been driving her in on my week.. I had made the decision to move into the area to be closer and have started the process to do so. The father decided in Nov of last year to move approx. 40km out of her current school zone. I made it clear to him that his decision to move cannot impact her school, and he agreed via e mail.
    Now he is fighting to move her to his school zone and change her to an English school because he claims he cannot help her on his week, even though his new spouse is French and she is enrolled in after school homework help.. I will be moving into the area of her school, but not the immediate zone of that particular school. I have talked to the principle and they said if I can enroll her in an after school care program in that area there is no problem for her to remain at her current school, my house would only be approx. 5 min drive away once it's built, but my ex keeps fighting with me saying its too far for him now, all of a sudden it's too hard to keep her in French .. I know it's all really because he doesn't want to drive the 40k on his week to bring her to school and I don' think she should have to change schools because he decided to move far away. She's happy in her school and she has been in a French program for 5 years now.. If she goes to a French immersion school I'm afraid she will fall behind and I don't think it's what's best for her considering she has always been in French... Moving her schools and changing to immersion wont be an easy transition.. We have no signed agreement, but have been working off an agreement that states she is to go to a French school and a school in that particular area, it also says that any change is school must be agreed by both of us.

What do you think the courts will decide?
    The best interests of the child will be taken into account.

Send him a registered letter stating that you do not agree to the change of schools CC the school (Principal) and the school board.

Has he moved yet? Why is he now moving?

Comment

Yes they moved in November. They wanted to move to the country on a large property, when I found out how far away it would be, I knew this was coming, that's why I told him in advance that I didn't want her to move schools. All of her activities are in the area of her school, all her friend live in that area, and that why I had intended to move closer as the drive was really inconvenient.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
      Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
      Working...
      X