Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When the time comes, how do I find out if my name and surname is on the birth certificate?

Comment

You should be given your own official copy of the birth certificate, as well as a copy of the ohip card (in case your child has a medical emergency while in your care). So, you'll need to ask for those as well.

Comment

Ok, and if she doesnt talk to me until I take it to court, Do I ask for those in court?

Comment

Yup. .......

Comment

Originally posted by dinkyface View Post
            , as well as a copy of the ohip card (in case your child has a medical emergency while in your care).
            I thought there was only one copy allowed. My daughter's health card goes back and forth in her overnight bag. It's inconvenient because it's been forgotten a few times on a doctor's visit. How can I get a second copy?

Comment

Please correct me if I am wrong, I also thought that there was only 'one' official copy allowed of the long form of the Birth Certificate, and if one parent orders a 'second' copy (perhaps secretly), then the first copy is considered void by the government. Ideally it should be treated like a passport, kept by one parent and made available to the other without a fuss.

I don't know if someone has already answered this: but if my memory serves from when my last child was born here in Ontario, it is not possible for your name to be on the birth certificate without your knowledge or consent. The process went something like this: after baby is born you have a certain amount of time to register the birth, maybe 4 weeks. The mother's name needs to be on the birth registration forms, the father's name does not. To put the father's name on the forms (which later become the official copy of the long form of the birth Certificate) his signature is required. So, if a month goes by and you have not been asked to sign the birth registration, then you can be sure that your name is not going to be on the birth certificate. But having your name not there can be amended later, and very easily without a court process if the mother is willing. It will just require a bit of paper work that you both need to sign.

Comment

Originally posted by billiechic View Post
                I thought there was only one copy allowed. My daughter's health card goes back and forth in her overnight bag. It's inconvenient because it's been forgotten a few times on a doctor's visit. How can I get a second copy?
                I just give my ex a copy of the health card. That has never been a problem with the medical pracitioners.

Comment

Originally posted by dadtotheend View Post
                  I just give my ex a copy of the health card. That has never been a problem with the medical pracitioners.
                  I was aware that we could do this, and would prefer it. However ex refuses to take a paper copy.

Comment

Originally posted by billiechic View Post
                    I was aware that we could do this, and would prefer it. However ex refuses to take a paper copy.
                    well then give the ex the card andn you keep the paper copy, problem solved.

Comment

You can't, however you can photocopy the front and back of it. As long as they have the info it shouldn't matter if it's a photocopy as long as the info is updated if/when changed.

Comment

I had a court order that granted me the right to get my own health card as the ex refused to provide me a copy or even the number.

It was a very interesting day down at the health office. The lady kept telling me that only the mother was permitted to have the card, I said no I am entitled to a copy. Back and forth until she said she would not give me a copy unless I produced a court order, and out came the court order, and she was a very changed person, and promptly provided me the card.

Comment

Originally posted by rwm1273 View Post
                          I had a court order that granted me the right to get my own health card as the ex refused to provide me a copy or even the number.

It was a very interesting day down at the health office. The lady kept telling me that only the mother was permitted to have the card, I said no I am entitled to a copy. Back and forth until she said she would not give me a copy unless I produced a court order, and out came the court order, and she was a very changed person, and promptly provided me the card.
                          why would you not just show the court order right at the start?? Seems to me like you just wanted to argue with the lady.

Comment

Originally posted by standing on the sidelines View Post
                            Seems to me like you just wanted to argue with the lady.
                            --- and with good reason, methinks.

Anybody who says that only the mother should be permitted whatever deserves an argument. Too many silly servants take their jobs for granted.

Comment

Originally posted by standing on the sidelines View Post
                              why would you not just show the court order right at the start?? Seems to me like you just wanted to argue with the lady.
                              The conversation started of fine. She asked if I had a right to the information. I said yes I have joint custody. She says "that does not mean anything" or something to that effect. So I asked her a bunch of questions on why that did not mean anything, and why only mothers are entitled to the health card. She basically said " because they are the only ones who look after kids."

It is attitudes like that why our family courts are so screwed up. And this is just one service provider. Just imagine how us men feel when we have such problems trying to raise our kids when we get this kind of attitude from every service provider. Why do I have to carry around a court order just to show people that I am the father and have rights?

If I don't stand up for my rights, nobody will, and my son will end up going through the same crap I have. I am working hard to ensure that does not happen.

Comment

right, so it was so nice of you to piss her off for the person standing in line behind you...

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                                Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                                Working...
                                X