This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• spousal support guidelines

I'm trying to approximate how much spousal support I'm entitled to. I know there are no set rules in Ontario, so I used the guidelines formulas. Based on our income difference of $55,000 per year, and our cohabitation period of 4.3 years, and multiplied by 1.5 to 2%, I get a value range of $3547.50 to $4730. The duration is 2.15 to 4.3 years (0.5 to 1 year of support per year of cohabitation).

My question: Those values of $3547.50 to $4730 - is that per year for 2.15 to 4.3 years, or is it a grand total divided into a monthly payment for 2.15 to 4.3 years?

Thanks in advance.

Can you work, who is keeping the debt, how is the assets separated. Are you married or common law

Comment

I am on long term disability and have been told I will never be able to work again. He makes $125,000 a year. We were common-law. The house is sold and all assets are in the process of being divided. This is the only remaining real issue.

Comment

Are there children involved?
        I guess I must ask and hope you dont get too offended with the question. Why do you feel ENTITLED to spousal support? Did you stay at home to raise the kids, give up your job to rasie your kids, stop school for the kids? You have income. Its unfortunate that you cant work. Your ex makes great money, good for him. But that doesnt mean you are entitiled to it.

Comment

I'm in the process of a divorce and was expecting to work fulltime but will be going on disability due to recent terminal cancer diagnosis. Worried about being to survive financially on top of everything else. He makes 73000 a yr and will be paying 1075 in child support. Does anyone have a rough idea what spousal support might be. I will have no other income other than disability .

Comment

INeedHelp: It'd be best if you started your own thread, but basically it depends....

How much is your disability/month? What is your line 150 amount from your 2010 income tax return?

You'll be receiving disability + CS + CCTB...

Depending on how much you made last year, you may not be looking at being entitled to ANYTHING.

Quick guesstimate....

He makes 73000/year, which is ~ 60,000 after taxes
            Subtract 12,900/year he pays you in CS

Leaves him at approx 47,100 Net Income

YOU have 12,900 being received in CS....

Depending on your line 150 amounts, you'd be getting 0-700+ in CCTB payments/month...if you made 0 last year, then you're looking at getting ~ 8800 for the year for CCTB....

These rough figures would already place you at 46% of his NDI.

Again, it's all subjective, but at a glance, you wouldn't qualify.

Comment

I don't get disability right now . Will take 6-8 mths for that to kick in and interim was giving me 660 a mth spousal support. Nothing from fro yet and my lawyer said that figure should go up because I'm no longer able to work. Really scared about my finances. He won't let me sell the house either as he thinks I won't last long. He's fired 2 lawyers already and has a criminal case against him as well. I was hoping to be able to work to support my kids. I have interim sole custody as well. Does anyone know if my diagnosis will effect custody, childrens lawyer also involved. Numb with all the stress of everything.

Comment

Also married for 20 yrs if that makes a difference. And if I do get spousal support can I ask for it in a lump sum

Comment

Posted in error, don't know how to delete a post.
                  Last edited by Gary M; 09-10-2010, 09:41 PM. Reason: Mistake

Comment

The thread got hijacked! It's better to start a new thread when you have a question instead of tacking it on to someone else's to avoid confusion!
                    Last edited by Rioe; 09-10-2010, 09:43 PM. Reason: was answering Gary M's post that he deleted when he figured it out himself

Comment

Originally posted by Ineedhelp View Post
                      Also married for 20 yrs if that makes a difference. And if I do get spousal support can I ask for it in a lump sum
                      You can ask for it lump sum, but he'd be an idiot to pay it.

See, lump sum isn't eligible to be used as a tax deduction...monthly SS *IS*.

Comment

You don't think a judge would be sympathetic to my situation and he would have had pay it indefinitely and now it only looks like a few yrs because of my illness. I want to leave as much to my kids as I can to put them thru school. Not much life insurance either and won't be able to work in the future and don't want them to live in poverty for the rest of their childhood. He won't financially help them after I'm gone so I want to leave as much as I can.

Comment

Originally posted by Ineedhelp View Post
                          You don't think a judge would be sympathetic to my situation and he would have had pay it indefinitely and now it only looks like a few yrs because of my illness. I want to leave as much to my kids as I can to put them thru school. Not much life insurance either and won't be able to work in the future and don't want them to live in poverty for the rest of their childhood. He won't financially help them after I'm gone so I want to leave as much as I can.
                          I hate to say this but after you are gone would he not get custody of the kids?? If so then he will be financially responsible for them.

How can a judge figure out how much the SS would be? How much do you think it will be for a lump sum? You say that your ex would have to pay indefinitely but SS ends when you pass away or get remarried.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                          Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                          Working...
                          X