Duty Counsel in a Case Conference?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Duty Counsel in a Case Conference?

My hubby just had his case conference with his ex. They managed to get everything sorted in a short period and an order was written.

Hubby says his ex had duty counsel go into the case conference with her. They were both self-rep.

Duty counsel told my hubby that he made too much money for Duty Counsel assistance (I guess the Legal Aid cutoff?)...but his ex actually makes marginally more than him.

Now, my hubby wasn't too upset by it as he felt duty counsel helped push the ex into a reasonable place thereby making the agreement possible.

I'm curious how she managed to do that? I have mine coming up next month and the ex is repped by a lawyer and I could certainly benefit from having my hand held with duty counsel as well!

Anyone heard this happening before?

The role of duty counsel is to help anyone who needs their help irrespective of what they earn or how wealthy they are. If you are represented, they will not give you legal assistance as its a conflict. Now as we all know that there is a shortage of duty counsel at all times, so if there is a shortage at the time you are in court, then you could be negotiating without duty counsel. Earnings have got nothing to do with help from duty counsel. They are not supposed to ask you how much you earn, unless they want to see if you qualify for legal aid, which has got nothing to do with their help at the case conference.

Comment

Originally posted by advice needed View Post
      The role of duty counsel is to help anyone who needs their help irrespective of what they earn or how wealthy they are. If you are represented, they will not give you legal assistance as its a conflict. Now as we all know that there is a shortage of duty counsel at all times, so if there is a shortage at the time you are in court, then you could be negotiating without duty counsel. Earnings have got nothing to do with help from duty counsel. They are not supposed to ask you how much you earn, unless they want to see if you qualify for legal aid, which has got nothing to do with their help at the case conference.

He was told outright "You're middle class, middle income earner so I can't help you". Which had me puzzled because duty counsel has never asked me how much I make or anything of the sort. They didn't ask him how much he made, but he had the benefit of a financial statement in front of him.

The biggest surprise for me was that duty counsel went into the case conference to assist her ... or maybe the "process" .... however that duty counsel was speaking only with her, not my hubby at all.

We're both going through the process at the moment and there are glaring differences in how our cases have been handled by the clerks, etc.

He was able to submit an unsigned, unstamped financial statement (not his intention, but the clerk must have "missed it"). Meanwhile they wouldn't take my paperwork at all without a Ministry Document stating that the child support hasn't been assigned (which it never has been).

Neither him or his ex were made to attend MIS. I was, even though mine is a motion to change and his was a response to the very first motion. My ex was, even though he's legally represented as well.

Duty counsel didn't ask me how much money I made or anything like that, but they denied him on that basis.

It's confusing enough as it is, but to have such differences in the process is unbelievable.

Comment

It was probably the same duty counsel lawyer that sent me on a wild goose chase for a form that doesn't exist.

Comment

Are you mixing up with mediator and duty counsel. Mediators charge on a sliding scale, as per ones income. Duty counsel is free for anyone that is unrepresented.
          With regards to filing of papers yes it has happened to me too, they accepted my financial without a notice of assessment, but then the court clerks are human and i would go crazy receiving all that paper, day in and day out, without slipping up once in a way.

Comment

Nope, definitely not confusing the two.

I understand that mistakes happen, I get that totally. Those clerks are inundated with paper every day so I can see how it would happen. But the procedural differences ie MIS, financial statements, etc. I initially tried to file my motion without a financial statement because the rules stated that unless you were asking for above guideline support, you didn't need to file them. So, I didn't. I was told that because I was wanting S7 and arrears, I had to. They wouldn't accept the paperwork without it.

She filed everything with incomplete financial statements, looking for both S7 and arrears. Duty counsel advised him at first appearance that she didn't have to and he didn't have to because nobody was looking for above guideline support or to claim hardship.

It's the duty counsel in case conference that has me particularly confused.

Didn't even realize it was a possibility and my hubby has no idea how the ex managed it. But, he was happy to have duty counsel there. She moved her along in a way that they got everything settled in a 20 min case conference and some discussion outside of it. Hubby also felt like the ex walked out with some more definitive guidelines going forward. Her financial claim had little merit anyway and they agreed upon some access terms, understanding that the child is almost 15 and has a bigger voice than mom thinks he does.

He walked away positive, heard and resolved. All you can ask for really.

Comment

Umm, I was told by FLIC I was not allowed to meet with duty counsel unless I qualify for legal aid. I'm pretty sure this is a new rule though.

That's in Ottawa.

Comment

Is that a new development? or did he just pull it out from his a__ Find out if that is a new rule. In toronto its free for anyone that is unrepresented

Comment

Originally posted by MS Mom View Post
                  I'm curious how she managed to do that?
                  1. Duety counsel failing to gather the necessary evidence on financial income from the client they are serving.

2. Client failing to disclose the information and/or lying.

Both #1 and #2 are very common when getting certificates. LOA doesn't report on the number of certificates removed and from whom for having too high an income. Ombudsman needs to enforce more accountability on LOA Investigations team and report publicly about those whom have obtained certificates through fraud.

I recommend anyone applying to any Legal Aid provided service to provide full and frank financial disclosure similar to those required under Rule 13 of the Family Law Rules. If you lie about your income it will be easily found because under Rule 13 "full and frank financial disclosure" is required.

Lies have short legs... eventually the area director will pull your certificate because you have RRSP you can draw on, an income equal too or higher than the Canadian house hold income, etc...

My recommendation to all litigants facing a LOA supported client is to file a complaint with LOA ethics to insure a proper investigation is made on the application. Certificates are often handed out improperly and on lies.

Also, to lie or fail to disclose your income and asset base may constitute fraud in accordance with the CCC and the LOA Act. Receiving government funds through fraud is a crime.

Good Luck!
                  Tayken

Comment

Originally posted by Tayken View Post
                    1. Duety counsel failing to gather the necessary evidence on financial income from the client they are serving.

2. Client failing to disclose the information and/or lying.

Both #1 and #2 are very common when getting certificates. LOA doesn't report on the number of certificates removed and from whom for having too high an income. Ombudsman needs to enforce more accountability on LOA Investigations team and report publicly about those whom have obtained certificates through fraud.

I recommend anyone applying to any Legal Aid provided service to provide full and frank financial disclosure similar to those required under Rule 13 of the Family Law Rules. If you lie about your income it will be easily found because under Rule 13 "full and frank financial disclosure" is required.

Lies have short legs... eventually the area director will pull your certificate because you have RRSP you can draw on, an income equal too or higher than the Canadian house hold income, etc...

My recommendation to all litigants facing a LOA supported client is to file a complaint with LOA ethics to insure a proper investigation is made on the application. Certificates are often handed out improperly and on lies.

Also, to lie or fail to disclose your income and asset base may constitute fraud in accordance with the CCC and the LOA Act. Receiving government funds through fraud is a crime.

Good Luck!
                    Tayken
                    Tayken - If I understand you correctly she received legal aid and thereby getting duty counsel to assist her in the courtroom during the case conference?

If this is what you're saying, then she definitely lied about income/family situation. The income is in the $50000/a range, two dependents. But, the part that she ommitted in her financial statement was her live-in partner's income, which is estimated at above $60000. She's been hiding behind the fact that she is in a same sex relationship for many years, yet claiming Child Tax Credits, etc as a single mom with two dependents. All that came to light in her disclosures of NOAs.

Her financial statement also shows the RRSPs, RESPs and savings account balances - which definitely far outweigh my husband's and mine. She shows no debt at all on her financial statement. They recently purchased a home together which we estimate in the $300000 range.

I'm up against a lawyer, am owed $10000 in arrears and have debt up to my wazoo and all duty counsel did for me was send me looking for a form that doesn't exist. The playing field really needs to be leveled.

Comment

Tayken - If I understand you correctly she received legal aid and thereby getting duty counsel to assist her in the courtroom during the case conference?
                      Nope. The LOA Client qualified on the spot (possibly by failing to provide proper income disclosure) to have representation by duty counsel. Duty counsel is paid for by LOA.

Same qualifying requirements for duty counsel and a certificate basically.

If this is what you're saying, then she definitely lied about income/family situation. The income is in the $50000/a range, two dependents.
                      This disgusts me beyond belief. Someone whom has an income of 50,000 even with 2 dependents DOES NOT qualify for LOA support!

Legal Aid Ontario: Getting Legal Help

The time billed for that lawyer in the court room should be billed back to the litigant.

What is more concerning is that a Form 13 (Affidavit sworn to the truth) needs to be filed for a conference and the duty counsel should have seen the full and frank financial disclosure.

I kindly ask, as a citizen of Ontario whom pays income taxes and on the behalf of others who do to report this injustice immediately to LOA's ethics hotline:

Provide the name of the person whom was represented by duty counsel, the name of the lawyer whom represented this person at the hearing, the court file number with the court house, and the tab # where the litigant in question filed their Form 13/13.1 which outlines their gross yearly income to be 50,000 per annum.

But, the part that she ommitted in her financial statement was her live-in partner's income, which is estimated at above $60000.
                      The other adult in that relationship's income is of little concern and relevance to any family law proceeding generally. Unless you or the other party is claiming undue hardship. I would ignore the income of the other adult residing with the other person totally. Put it out of your mind.

She's been hiding behind the fact that she is in a same sex relationship for many years, yet claiming Child Tax Credits, etc as a single mom with two dependents.
                      Again, that is of no concern to any family law proceeding. If the person in question and the other person are in a common law relationship and they are claiming an elegable dependent that should be reported to CRA for further investigation.

All that came to light in her disclosures of NOAs.
                      Yet, duty counsel represented a person with an income of 50,000 or more! Disgusting conduct to say the least on the part of duty counsel, whom should be reviewing the continuing record and Form 13.1 and the other litigant who may have lied to get "free" legal services intended for those who actually qualify. Potentially stealing them from someone else who in fact did qualify and actually needed them.

Her financial statement also shows the RRSPs, RESPs and savings account balances - which definitely far outweigh my husband's and mine. She shows no debt at all on her financial statement. They recently purchased a home together which we estimate in the $300000 range.
                      More evidence that duty counsel was possibly negligent in following the LOA Act that governs whom is eligible for support.

I'm up against a lawyer, am owed $10000 in arrears and have debt up to my wazoo and all duty counsel did for me was send me looking for a form that doesn't exist. The playing field really needs to be leveled.
                      That is because this person is wasting resources that should not be available to them because they earn 50,000 or more per annum. Possible fraud such as this impacts those who actually need the services.

I am disappointed that those working at LOA continue to possibly demonstrate such negligence with our tax dollars.

Good Luck!
                      Tayken

Comment

Originally posted by Tayken View Post
                        Nope. The LOA Client qualified on the spot (possibly by failing to provide proper income disclosure) to have representation by duty counsel. Duty counsel is paid for by LOA.

Same qualifying requirements for duty counsel and a certificate basically.

This disgusts me beyond belief. Someone whom has an income of 50,000 even with 2 dependents DOES NOT qualify for LOA support!

The time billed for that lawyer in the court room should be billed back to the litigant.

What is more concerning is that a Form 13 (Affidavit sworn to the truth) needs to be filed for a conference and the duty counsel should have seen the full and frank financial disclosure.

I kindly ask, as a citizen of Ontario whom pays income taxes and on the behalf of others who do to report this injustice immediately to LOA's ethics hotline:

Provide the name of the person whom was represented by duty counsel, the name of the lawyer whom represented this person at the hearing, the court file number with the court house, and the tab # where the litigant in question filed their Form 13/13.1 which outlines their gross yearly income to be 50,000 per annum.

The other adult in that relationship's income is of little concern and relevance to any family law proceeding generally. Unless you or the other party is claiming undue hardship. I would ignore the income of the other adult residing with the other person totally. Put it out of your mind.

Again, that is of no concern to any family law proceeding. If the person in question and the other person are in a common law relationship and they are claiming an elegable dependent that should be reported to CRA for further investigation.

Yet, duty counsel represented a person with an income of 50,000 or more! Disgusting conduct to say the least on the part of duty counsel, whom should be reviewing the continuing record and Form 13.1 and the other litigant who may have lied to get "free" legal services intended for those who actually qualify. Potentially stealing them from someone else who in fact did qualify and actually needed them.

More evidence that duty counsel was possibly negligent in following the LOA Act that governs whom is eligible for support.

That is because this person is wasting resources that should not be available to them because they earn 50,000 or more per annum. Possible fraud such as this impacts those who actually need the services.

I am disappointed that those working at LOA continue to possibly demonstrate such negligence with our tax dollars.

Good Luck!
                        Tayken

Tayken I really appreciate your clarification. Considering it all, there's no wonder I'm confused.

The only reason I brought up the other partner's income, is because this was the pages purposefully not included in her financial statement served on my husband. Clerks told him that she provided the courts with the complete documentation however decided it was none of my hubby's business.

I also thought that Legal Aid qualifiers would be "household income", rather than individual income.

In my hubby's response, he provided complete frank disclosure, including my paystubs, debts, child support arrears, pensions etc.

When we first received the NOAs I pointed out to my ex that she was claiming one child as equiv to spouse and the other child as dependent. I was furious as when I married my husband, my Child Tax Credit was reduced to virtually nothing from over $300 a month due to increase in household income. She suffered no such consequence.

There was also no disclosure on the purchase of the new home, as the new home is in the partner's name only .... but as the moved into it together and engaged - so I believe it to be a family asset.

My hubby pointed all of this out in his response. None of it was commented on by the judge at all.

I admit, I did report the tax issues to CRA. I was infuriated. They fought for the right to be treated the same as any other committed couple....but forget about that when it comes to the money aspects.

Her income last year was just over $50000, while my husband, who was told made too much had an income of just over $40000. Hence my whole confusion on it.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                        Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                        Working...
                        X