This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick question about terminology

I'm putting some finishing touches to my settlement conference documentation, and have had a question for a while about the use of terms "The Applicant/Respondent" instead of the proper names such as "Mr. Smith or Mrs. Smith". What is the correct way to write this document?

For example, I wrote:

1. There is no question both parents are dedicated to the children; Ms. ... has been a source of inspiration for me as a parent several times during our cohabitating relationship. I have always been committed to our three beautiful children. I truly believe that Ms. ... and myself both have an important role to play in the lives of ..., ... and .....

2. My parenting proposal is detailed in the accompanying Separation Agreement. I consulted in particular the Critical Issues for Consideration when Developing Practical Parenting Plans For Families in Conflict: A Working Guide, (Pezzot-Pearce et. al., 2007). My parenting plan contains the following principles:

I don't think there is an official requirement. I would write, for the first instance, "The applicant, Ms. Smith...." and thereafter refer to Ms. Smith.

Comment

Originally posted by baldclub View Post
      I'm putting some finishing touches to my settlement conference documentation, and have had a question for a while about the use of terms "The Applicant/Respondent" instead of the proper names such as "Mr. Smith or Mrs. Smith". What is the correct way to write this document?
      You can do it a variety of different ways... My recommendation would be on the first instance / use of the name you basically after the name just ("the mother") and ("the father").

If you want to demonstrate the parental roles in the children's lives. You could do the "their mother" and "the mother" and you as "their father" and "the father" rather than Applicant/Respondent.

Also after giving the children's names it is a good idea to do the ("our children") after it too.

Comment

There is one, and only one, rule to consider:
        CONSISTENCY.

The Applicant mother,
        The Respondent husband,
        The Applicant, hereafter Amanda,
        The Respondent, hereafter George,
        The Applicant Ms. Smith, hereafter Ms. Smith,
        The Respondent Mr. Smyth, hereafter Mr. Smyth.

Any of the above styles are acceptable - so long as each person has one, and only one, way to refer to them.

Don't change styles halfway through. If you bold names, always bold names. If you underline in crayon, always underline in crayon. If you write your own name in blood, always write your own name in blood. Clarity and consistency are critical.

Comment

Originally posted by OrleansLawyer View Post
          There is one, and only one, rule to consider:
          CONSISTENCY.

The Applicant mother,
          The Respondent husband,
          The Applicant, hereafter Amanda,
          The Respondent, hereafter George,
          The Applicant Ms. Smith, hereafter Ms. Smith,
          The Respondent Mr. Smyth, hereafter Mr. Smyth.

Any of the above styles are acceptable - so long as each person has one, and only one, way to refer to them.

Don't change styles halfway through. If you bold names, always bold names. If you underline in crayon, always underline in crayon. If you write your own name in blood, always write your own name in blood. Clarity and consistency are critical.
          My favourite book on legal drafting:

Legal Drafting in Plain Language, 3rd Edition

This acclaimed publication examines the principles and techniques of plain language drafting in the context of legal documentation. The work addresses the special problems of legal language, and presents a code of 33 drafting rules designed to achieve both clarity and precision in legal drafting. The author explains how to avoid undue wordiness, excessive legalese, contextual ambiguities and unnecessary provisos, and the use of proper paragraphing, headings and design elements. Includes numerous examples and diagrams.
          Not cheap though but, worth the money.

Good Luck!
          Tayken

Comment

^ I should have asked for that at the library.... cause there is no way I could pay for that and justify it.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
            Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
            Working...
            X