This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Vent About FRO

In 12 years and about 7 job changes my ex-husband has not once contacted them to give them his new employment info. Because I can't wait for months for them to get on it and track it down, I play detective and dig for the info and call it into the FRO myself. THe first time he changed jobs I called FRO to say that he had new employment and could they look into it - I was told they couldn't call him or send him a letter without proof that his employment has changed (???). I replied that there hasn't been any payment made in 6 weeks, so obviously something is up. I was met with silence, then a reluctant agreement to call his employer of record to see why payment hasn't been sent. I asked to be put on hold while they did so, and was soon told that "apparently he doesn't work there anymore" - well, duh! I was then told that they should "give him a chance to contact them". My understanding is that payors have 10 days to report changes and he hasn't been there for over 6 weeks. Grudgingly they called him and got the info.
    After that I did it myself - I have been scolded, chastised, hung up on, sighed at...you name it. I have been told a million different stories about what they can & can't do, and never the same thing twice. He hasn't called in his current employment information but has been paying on his own, treading the line each time he pays, as he knows FRO won't take action to garnish his pay if he stays less than 3-4 months behind (I get two differing stories on this one too). FRO refuses to use his employer info because he's paying, albeit sporadically and always weeks late. I'm hoping with the new court order that will be coming that the garnishing will be automatic, as I know with a higher amount he will be even worse, but ever mindful of what he can get away with. I'm sure I'm not alone in my frustration with this circus called FRO! Is it too much to ask that people do their jobs?

They are underfunded, overworked, non-transparent and incompetent. I thought they were supposed to garnish right away.

Not that this will be any consolation, but they treat support payors far more unfairly and arbitrarily than they do support recipients.

Sadly, you are doing about all you can by performing their detective duties for them.
    Last edited by dadtotheend; 03-07-2010, 09:04 PM.

Comment

I'm having similar trouble with FRO. Although yesterday I was able to convince them to send out a federal support deduction notice. Evidently, "enforcement" is a slow process.

There are several steps that are taken but the support payor is given approximately 35 days notice before each step is taken.At each stage the support payor is given a warning about the action to be taken and is provided with an opportunity to make mends.

For example, Federal Support Order is sent out, (wait 35 days); Issue a writ of sale (wait 30 days); lien on property (wait another 35 days); issue warning about contacting the credit bureau (wait 35 days); issue warning about suspension of professional license or passport (wait 35 days); issue warning about suspension of driving license (wait another 35 days); issue warning about the garnishment of assets (wait another 30 days or more); issue warning about being in contempt of court order (wait 35 days or more); issue date of court appearance (wait another 35 days); issue warning about warrant for arrest (wait 35 days or more).

Comment

Thanks for both of your replies. My husband also pays support for his two children. He has been contacted twice asking him why his payments are late when he was actually in a credit situation (they had more of his money than was actually owing at the time). They threatened him with all of the above and luckily he was able to prove to them that they were in the wrong. Turns out his ex had called them that day and convinced them somehow that he was in arrears. I can't even get them to do things that they are supposed to do and that are on the up-and-up. I think it depends on who you speak to and what mood they are in at the moment. I am a nurse and overworked as well, but I still do my job without passing the buck or out and out lying to get out of making an effort.

Comment

It is an organization that is beyond broken due to incompetence and seriously flawed legislation. Both my fiance and i who are on opposite ends of the bureaucracy have been equally pooched.
          It appears the bigger the thorn in their side, the more unreal their demands, the more they cater to that individual
          just my opinion

Comment

Since we're venting about FRO...

My husband got a letter a month or so ago stating he's $3,000+ in arrears. (My stepson's mom submitted a "sworn" statement claiming this was the case.)

He replied, in writing, that this is NOT the case.

FRO sent another letter about 2 weeks later stating that if he doesn't pay, they will take enforcement actions.

My husband replied, in writing, that he has already addressed the issue, attached the original letter, and provided email statements from my stepson's mom indicating that SHE had requested that FRO not take enforcement action, as my husband needs his driver's license in order to maintain his job (which involves driving, and one of the conditions of his position is to have a valid driver's license) and to have access to his son.

FRO has not responded.

My husband has called, and been left on hold for so long that he eventually had to hang up. (People do have day jobs, which FRO seems to forget.) He has left messages, but none have been answered.

So, we continue to sit and wait... to see what next they will throw our way.

Meanwhile, my husband is dragging his feet to file his taxes because FRO sent a garnishee summons to Revenue Canada... planning to send his entire tax return to his son's mother - based on inaccurate statements of arrears. Go figure!

FRO is ridiculous... it's a waste of tax payer's money... and yet many (not all) support recipients won't consider withdrawing from it - such as my stepson's mother, who up until her whimsical run into FRO's arms, was receiving timely and accurate child support directly from my husband, and now refuses to believe that it's FRO that is messing up, and continuously blames my husband for trying to avoid child support payments, when the payments come late or in the wrong amount. Go figure!

Comment

The FRO sent my spouse a letter last week saying he $2000 behind on support and they'd be suspending his drivers licence, and garnishing pay April 1st. I dug out the support order from 2 years ago, called them, waited on hold for 34 minutes. They looked at the order and said oops, you're right, he doesn't owe. They are pathetic.

Comment

they are government. Can we really expect competency from the Canadian government???

Comment

My ex has been caught asking our daycare lady to make up reciepts higher then actual..she does not know that I know yet, but I DO have a written and signed paper from the daycare lady stating that my ex had on several occations asked for higher then actual receipts to make it so that I would have to pay her more.. I already pay $912.00 a month and I have shared custody (for starters does that number sound fair to anyone???) I went to the police and they said "she will be charged if I hand in the written/signed paper from the daycare lady) Also now that the daycare refuses to care for our daughter I am forced to pay alot more anyways for this new "regulated daycare".. the increase of cost is doubled...so I am forced to pay double because my ex reuined her relationship with our daycare...she also lied to me about the reason for changing daycare. (she said the lady wont be watching any kids because she is starting her own business) obviously not true....The only way I found out is the Daycare lady phone my wife and I and told us all the things my ex did...and said (bashed my wife and I infront of my daughter). I would like some advice on how to go about getting justice...Everyone says its all about the kids.....but why are most of these arguments about MONEY!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Nathank View Post
                    My ex has been caught asking our daycare lady to make up reciepts higher then actual..she does not know that I know yet, but I DO have a written and signed paper from the daycare lady stating that my ex had on several occations asked for higher then actual receipts to make it so that I would have to pay her more.. I already pay $912.00 a month and I have shared custody (for starters does that number sound fair to anyone???) I went to the police and they said "she will be charged if I hand in the written/signed paper from the daycare lady) Also now that the daycare refuses to care for our daughter I am forced to pay alot more anyways for this new "regulated daycare".. the increase of cost is doubled...so I am forced to pay double because my ex reuined her relationship with our daycare...she also lied to me about the reason for changing daycare. (she said the lady wont be watching any kids because she is starting her own business) obviously not true....The only way I found out is the Daycare lady phone my wife and I and told us all the things my ex did...and said (bashed my wife and I infront of my daughter). I would like some advice on how to go about getting justice...Everyone says its all about the kids.....but why are most of these arguments about MONEY!!!
                    Busted again dude. You have posted this exact stuff in at least two other threads and hijacked at least this one and another.

Comment

Yes again I am sorry about that ...again I am unable to make my own thread on here for some reason...I have been trying to but I think there is a fault with my account that doesnt allow me to start my own threads...I would be greatfull if someone could copy and paste this on a new thread, so that I dont have to post "off topic remarks" again sorry i just need help.

Comment

Originally posted by dhutch View Post
                        I dug out the support order from 2 years ago, called them, waited on hold for 34 minutes. They looked at the order and said oops, you're right, he doesn't owe. They are pathetic.
                        Wow... someone actually picked up the phone after putting you on hold?!

Impressive!

And "ooops?" WTF?!

I really hope that once we finish settling the issue of child support in court, FRO will say "ooops, you're right, he doesn't owe" to my husband as well. ;-)

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                        Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                        Working...
                        X